Lack of Parity- 247 2022 Team Composite Rankings

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

In my opinion, this is the biggest issue in college football at the moment. NIL is the other one and it might contribute to this ginormous gap or could close it with a better governing body. By my count, there are 128 five stars and 65 of those (51%) belong to the top 5 schools on this list. 

We all know about the issues with the lopsided playoff games. I for one am sick of the same teams dominating every year (Georgia, Bama, Clemson and OSU). I don’t think any of these teams have been playing by the rules, between steroids and booster money there isn’t much of a chance for most schools to compete. This is bad for the sport. 

No way should there be a 17.5 favourite in a top 5 matchup… not even in a top 10 matchup. We’ve seen the same story in all of these playoff games. It’s always the elite 5 star talent which tips the scales in the other teams favour. Unfortunately I don’t think ND has a shot unless Buchner turns out to be the real deal. 

How does this get fixed? Better regulations? A new governing body and commissioner (breaking from the NCAA)? More severe sanctions for breaking the rules? The NCAA is a joke, for them to take away our wins for something so pathetic yet let other teams get away with bloody murder. I think breaking away from the NCAA might be the only way to fix this mess. 

Edited by ndomer4

14 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

In my opinion, this is the biggest issue in college football at the moment. NIL is the other one and it might contribute to this ginormous gap or could close it with a better governing body. By my count, there are 128 five stars and 65 of those (51%) belong to the top 5 schools on this list. 

We all know about the issues with the lopsided playoff games. I for one am sick of the same teams dominating every year (Georgia, Bama, Clemson and OSU). I don’t think any of these teams have been playing by the rules, between steroids and booster money there isn’t much of a chance for most schools to compete. This is bad for the sport. 

No way should there be a 17.5 favourite in a top 5 matchup… not even in a top 10 matchup. We’ve seen the same story in all of these playoff games. It’s always the elite 5 star talent which tips the scales in the other teams favour. Unfortunately I don’t think ND has a shot unless Buchner turns out to be the real deal. 

How does this get fixed? Better regulations? A new governing body and commissioner (breaking from the NCAA)? More severe sanctions for breaking the rules? The NCAA is a joke, for them to take away our wins for something so pathetic yet let other teams get away with bloody murder. I think breaking away from the NCAA might be the only way to fix this mess. 

I understand the Ncaa has a ton of issues that need to be fixed.  This isn't one of them

Go out and recruit and coach better.  We're not handing out participation trophies and if a couple schools are too good, let's bring them down to the pack so everyone has a chance. 

Hell no. This is dog eat dog. Go out and work harder to beat the top teams.  We're not giving it to you.  Stop complaining and get to work

17 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

There are probably 15 schools which can be Top 5 recruiting schools. It is their coaches' efforts which dictate their recruiting success. The list of the Top 5 schools change as coaches change. This has been true for decades.

For example, here is the 2005 Rivals Top 10:

Southern Cal, Florida St, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, Miami, Texas A&M, Cal, Georgia

NOTE: Alabama #18, Ohio St #12, Clemson #17

2010 Top 10: Southern Cal, Florida, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, UCLA, Tennessee, Florida St,

Note: Georgia #15, Clemson #19, and Ohio St #25

2015 Top 10: Southern Cal, Alabama, Florida St, Clemson, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Ohio St, Texas A&M

2020 Top 10: Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, Texas A&M, Florida, Tennessee, Oregon, Auburn

Southern Cal used to be the "Alabama" when Pete Carroll was there. Should improve recruiting with Riley.

Florida St, Miami, and Texas all had runs as Top 5 talent schools in the 'recent' past.

Alabama was out recruited by Notre Dame before Saban. 

Notre Dame's recruiting has significantly improved due to Marcus Freeman

Clemson's recruiting improved with Dabo.

I am sure that LSU will become the #1 recruiting school for the next ten years with their new coach and his relentless recruiting effort (just kidding...)

2 hours ago, golson5 said:

I understand the Ncaa has a ton of issues that need to be fixed.  This isn't one of them

Go out and recruit and coach better.  We're not handing out participation trophies and if a couple schools are too good, let's bring them down to the pack so everyone has a chance. 

Hell no. This is dog eat dog. Go out and work harder to beat the top teams.  We're not giving it to you.  Stop complaining and get to work

Yeah I see where you’re coming from, but there’s a school like A&M who reportedly spent north of 30 million on last years class. Sorry dude, but when you’re talking about families living in extreme poverty, they are taking the money 10/10 times. Heck some of these top recruits are getting generational money, you might as well secure the bag before you potentially suffer a career ending injury. 

Nick Saban is nothing without top recruits. How many titles did he win at MSU? It’s about the Jimmys and the Joes and you can’t out recruit schools who are giving away that type of money. 

Look at 2023. The class is slipping and we’ve lost our top recruit. There’s also been murmurs we lose Bowen. The 5 stars continue to be hoarded by the same schools. If you don’t think there’s been foul play going on for years then you are naive. 

44 minutes ago, Tailgate Approved said:

@ndomer4Would your opinion change if ND was part of the 5 star club?

No it wouldn’t, because although I am a huge ND fan, I am a football fan first. If you go back to the first rankings they made in 2015, the 5 star talent was spread out much more evenly. 

I don’t think think it’s good for the sport for the same few teams dominating every year. It also happens to be the same few teams with the vast majority of 5 stars. Sure, playing at these schools is much more enticing for the top players, but I don’t think the distribution of 5 star talent has ever been nearly as lopsided as it has the past 6 years or so. 

• Heart 1

Thanks, @ndomer4. I appreciate your position.

I think @jbrown_9999provided interesting analysis. It seems there are cycles where a handful of teams dominate. It may get more lopsided (super conference, NIL), or it may spread out (expanded playoffs, NIL).

I tend not to worry about it, but I feel for those that do. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

The NIL deals are the new frontier.  Recruiting is turning into a huge marketing campaign for these kids - or more accurately, the school is expected to put together a package with a full marketing team in supporting and publicizing the kids' NIL income streams.  I think it will change the way those rumored shady donors affect the game, and with due respect to Freeman's efforts, I think ND's national presence is likely a big positive for our upcoming recruiting classes.  It's probably what attracted the Keely's and Bowen's to begin with.  It's monetized, and ND is certainly figuring out how to position themselves within the new rules.  Shady donors are still going to be shady, but they'll be using marketing deals under the guise of NIL endorsement - and hopefully, the overall money potential will water down their impact some.  It's gonna be interesting, though.  And to the first point, the NCAA is not in a real strong position these days.

49-3 for UGA vs Oregon at the start of the 4th quarter. Oregon is probably way overrated, but this issue has been present and is getting worse the last few years since the 5 stars have picked a select few schools at an unprecedented rate.

Back from 02-05, there were 123 five stars and half belonged to 9 schools (USC-10, FSU-9, Texas-8, Miami-8, OU-6, Tennessee-5, Michigan-5, Florida-5, OSU-4) vs 5 schools taking half the five stars in 2022 (Bama-14, UGA-15, OSU-14, A&M-10, Clemson-12).

The talent gap is wider than ever before. I have been watching college ball since 2003 and I can’t remember there being even half of the amount of blowouts there are now in the high profile games. 

For ND the major issue is the academic requirements. Let’s say you need an A average to be accepted into ND (I have no clue, anyone know what it is?), why can’t we make an exception for a B or C+ student? I was a 70-80s student in high school but maintained over a 4.0 GPA in university. Kids develop study habits and mature, I’m not sure why ND is so rigid in this regard considering how much of a difference just 1 extra 5 star a year would be.