Official Super Bowl Live Discussion!

Mike

39 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Will say the Bengals linebackers looked very well coached.

It's unfortunate that a flag was thrown at the end for textbook coverage, especially after letting both teams get away with some obvious PI all game

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

It's unfortunate that a flag was thrown at the end for textbook coverage, especially after letting both teams get away with some obvious PI all game

Yup illegal contact is a hard thing to officiate. In my opinion 2 questions should be answered.

1. Was there contact?        Yes. to me

2. Was the contact a material impediment to the play? No/ not sure to me.

I guess the "tie" between no/not sure went to the receiver in that case. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Yup illegal contact is a hard thing to officiate. In my opinion 2 questions should be answered.

Have to wonder if it was a little compensation for the fact that Ramsey got facemasked on that first TD after the half. If not, karma I guess. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, EddieAngel said:

Have to wonder if it was a little compensation for the fact that Ramsey got facemasked on that first TD after the half. If not, karma I guess. 

Haha, it's funny because who wasn't wondering when they were going to give them a make-up call. 😆

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 1

2 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

It was 100% holding.  Where the ball was thrown to Kupp, you could clearly see he was held and it impeded his progress to get to the ball.

44 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

That 3rd down penalty for "holding" was BS and completely turned the tide of the game.

The play before that penalty should have been holding.  It was a pass from Stafford to Henderson, and Henderson was held big time.  I was just blown away there was no call!  It was owed on the next play, and as I said above, was holding.  Even the play after that was holding as well.  Let’s not get carried away and think it’s a conspiracy.  If it was, then why call holding on the Rams and unnecessary roughness negating the play where Kupp was hit high and you could tell scored.

• Heart 1

I don't believe in any conspiracies with the game, moreso the inconsistencies with the calls. The first 58 minutes of the game, the precedence that they were going to be allowed to be overly aggressive was set.  And in the last 2 minutes, the referees called it much tighter than they have all game.

Just now, Mike said:

I don't believe in any conspiracies with the game, moreso the inconsistencies with the calls. The first 58 minutes of the game, the precedence that they were going to be allowed to be overly aggressive was set.  And in the last 2 minutes, the referees called it much tighter than they have all game.

Thats exactly right. Choose one "strike zone" to borrow a baseball reference. Now the umps are tied to a computer in baseball for that reason metaphorically speaking. Hope football NEVER moves in that direction. Makes me wonder if they will expand replay. They tried with pass interference and it was a distaster.

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

You’re not wrong there.  However, you can’t help but wonder if it had to do with the refs finally getting fed up with Cincy blatantly holding so much there at the end of the game.  I really do think the straw that broke the camels back was the missed hold on Henderson.  After that, the flags just started flying.  😂

Edited by Baldy

1 minute ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Thats exactly right. Choose one "strike zone" to borrow a baseball reference. Now the umps are tied to a computer in baseball for that reason metaphorically speaking. Hope football NEVER moves in that direction. Makes me wonder if they will expand replay. They tried with pass interference and it was a distaster.

1 minute ago, Baldy said:

You’re not wrong there.  However, you can’t help not wonder if it had to do with the refs finally getting fed up with Cincy blatantly holding so much there at the end of the game.  I really do think the straw that broke the camels back was the missed hold on Henderson.  After that, the flags just started flying.  😂

The simple solution for me is to just have controversial penalty / non-penalty calls (and maybe catches) reviewed from New York in real-time. Referees can huddle up while they decide whether or not to pick up the flag (until the call comes in). I don't think it would need to happen often. Only for the biggest plays / most important. Facemask on the long TD pass, as well as the holding at the end.

But I do realize that's when things start to get muddy. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make these decisions. But getting those calls right IN THE SUPER BOWL should 100% be a priority one way or another, without disrupting the game flow too much.

• Heart 2

Just now, Mike said:

The simple solution for me is to just have controversial penalty / non-penalty calls (and maybe catches) reviewed from New York in real-time. Referees can huddle up while they decide whether or not to pick up the flag (until the call comes in). I don't think it would need to happen often. Only for the biggest plays / most important. Facemask on the long TD pass, as well as the holding at the end.

But I do realize that's when things start to get muddy. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make these decisions. But getting those calls right IN THE SUPER BOWL should 100% be a priority one way or another, without disrupting the game flow too much.

I like that like let the refs have a cell one and a 60 second time limit. Facetime new york and away we go.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

It was 100% holding.  Where the ball was thrown to Kupp, you could clearly see he was held and it impeded his progress to get to the ball.

The play before that penalty should have been holding.  It was a pass from Stafford to Henderson, and Henderson was held big time.  I was just blown away there was no call!  It was owed on the next play, and as I said above, was holding.  Even the play after that was holding as well.  Let’s not get carried away and think it’s a conspiracy.  If it was, then why call holding on the Rams and unnecessary roughness negating the play where Kupp was hit high and you could tell scored.

I am not saying it is a conspiracy either, I was a neutral fan watching the 2nd half. But that 3rd down call was not defensive holding... not by any stretch of the imagination. If that is holding, then defenders cannot defend a pass ever again. I have never been a fan of make-up calls (unless it is for Notre Dame or the Colts, lol)

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I am not saying it is a conspiracy either, I was a neutral fan watching the 2nd half. But that 3rd down call was not defensive holding... not by any stretch of the imagination. If that is holding, then defenders cannot defend a pass ever again. I have never been a fan of make-up calls (unless it is for Notre Dame or the Colts, lol)

To me it was still a hold, but I get how you feel.  It seemed to all happen at the worst possible time.  And when it’s my team I will always admit if they get away with one or should have had one go their way.  I call it like I see it, no matter what.