Rees as a recruiter

6 minutes ago, The Captain 19 said:

Fully understand your position. 

Not to sound like my opinion holds any importance, but I’m really not happy with Rees at all. If he had a better track record, I’d feel ok, but he hasn’t given us much reason to have faith in him.

22 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I’m sick to my stomach of having Angeli & Johnson as ND’s most recent QB signings. 

Rees sucks as a recruiter and needs to go if he can’t land Moore or Vizzina. 

You’re sick to your stomach? Literally? Perhaps you need some meditation. Taking this fandom thing a little too seriously.

I get you're not happy with Rees. I'd like to see him land a 5 star QB too. I agree we need to do a better job sealing the deal on some of these guys. It does seem like the ND brand and being a star QB for ND should in itself sell a recruit on signing up. What I don't agree with is trashing the kid relentlessly that we did recruit. He hasn't even stepped on campus yet. Bitch about Rees all you want but damn. Give the kid a chance. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

You’re sick to your stomach? Literally? Perhaps you need some meditation. Taking this fandom thing a little too seriously.

I was just playing off the post I quoted. However, I’m very concerned. I flat out don’t think Rees can get it done. 

1 minute ago, The Captain 19 said:

I get you're not happy with Rees. I'd like to see him land a 5 star QB too. I agree we need to do a better job sealing the deal on some of these guys. It does seem like the ND brand and being a star QB for ND should in itself sell a recruit on signing up. What I don't agree with is trashing the kid relentlessly that we did recruit. He hasn't even stepped on campus yet. Bitch about Rees all you want but damn. Give the kid a chance. 

He’s been on staff for 5 yrs and failed most of the time. QB is too important to keep failing at. 

On 1/24/2022 at 8:21 PM, The Captain 19 said:

Technically speaking, he is already enrolled and on campus (https://247sports.com/player/steve-angeli-46086180/), but I agree that it's time to let the process play out.  We'll see over the next 2-3 years whether he has the goods or not.

Tyler Buchner was top 100 recruit and I believe top 50 when he committed. 

Also, Dante Moore is ND's priority and Rees has seen him twice in the last week or so (w/ Freeman going once). It's not like Rees stopped recruiting their top recruit. 

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, Pregame said:

Tyler Buchner was top 100 recruit and I believe top 50 when he committed. 

Also, Dante Moore is ND's priority and Rees has seen him twice in the last week or so (w/ Freeman going once). It's not like Rees stopped recruiting their top recruit. 

Buchner was a borderline 5* recruit when he committed, then he did not have a senior season. Who knows how high he could have been if he played his senior year and put up video game numbers.

I also think it is difficult to recruit a 5* QB EVERY year, especially now in this transfer world.

Pyne - 3*
Buchner - 4-5*
Angeli - 3*
Moore - 5*

I think that is ideal for Notre Dame... I would personally like to see the "off" years get a little higher, but I am fine with "on" and "off years at QB.

32 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Buchner was a borderline 5* recruit when he committed, then he did not have a senior season. Who knows how high he could have been if he played his senior year and put up video game numbers.

I also think it is difficult to recruit a 5* QB EVERY year, especially now in this transfer world.

Pyne - 3*
Buchner - 4-5*
Angeli - 3*
Moore - 5*

I think that is ideal for Notre Dame... I would personally like to see the "off" years get a little higher, but I am fine with "on" and "off years at QB.

It’s only ideal if they get Moore and that’s a huge question mark. 

ND should be able to nab 5 Star to high 4 star QBs every year. Kelly did a decent job of bringing in a high 4 star every other year but failed miserably at developing them. I was against Tommy being promoted to OC, I was even against him being hired as a QB coach but that was purely because of his inexperience and nothing else. I didn’t think a coach should be hired at ND for his first job as a QB coach or OC. Rees is no longer inexperienced. He has proven to be a pretty damn good game day coach.

I would like to see how he does developing the QBs and recruiting them now that he doesn’t have Kelly around anymore. Kelly always seemed to get into the heads of his QBs and they either would regress or plateau. I’m hoping Rees can change this. Also with Freeman demanding more on the recruiting trail I want to see what Rees can bring.

I will end on this if he doesn’t get one of the top recruits this cycle and Buchner doesn’t take big steps forward I would be on board as to questioning whether ND should go in another direction.

Edited by ndfanatic78
  • Heart 4

1 hour ago, ndfanatic78 said:

ND should be able to nab 5 Star to high 4 star QBs every year. Kelly did a decent job of bringing in a high 4 star every other year but failed miserably at developing them. I was against Tommy being promoted to OC, I was even against him being hired as a QB coach but that was purely because of his inexperience and nothing else. I didn’t think a coach should be hired at ND for his first job as a QB coach or OC. Rees is no longer inexperienced. He has proven to be a pretty damn good game day coach.

I would like to see how he does developing the QBs and recruiting them now that he doesn’t have Kelly around anymore. Kelly always seemed to get into the heads of his QBs and they either would regress or plateau. I’m hoping Rees can change this. Also with Freeman demanding more on the recruiting trail I want to see what Rees can bring.

I will end on this if he doesn’t get one of the top recruits this cycle and Buchner doesn’t take big steps forward I would be on board as to questioning whether ND should go in another direction.

I pretty much agree with this start to finish.

• Heart 1

On 1/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, NDhoosier said:

Pyne - 3*
Buchner - 4-5*
Angeli - 3*
Moore - 5*

I wonder if NIL will change the stockpiling of top QB’s at programs. Will a top recruit now consider going to a big market, though lower-rated school if he can make big bucks?  Instead of going to ‘Bama or Georgia or now USC and riding the bench behind two 5 and 4 star recruits, maybe go somewhere where he has a very good chance to start, have big market exposure, and make larger NIL dollars?  It seems to me that Miami, SMU, UCLA, and even Rutgers and Northwestern could benefit from this. 
Time will tell I guess. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1