'23 OH DE Brenan Vernon is Irish

247 Composite: 5-star, #18 overall, #6 DL

247: 4-star, #39 overall, #8 DL

Rivals: 5-star, #9 overall

Offers: Alabama, Cincinnati, Duke, Indiana, Iowa State, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

247 Composite: 5-star, #18 overall, #6 DL

247: 4-star, #39 overall, #8 DL

Rivals: 5-star, #9 overall

Offers: Alabama, Cincinnati, Duke, Indiana, Iowa State, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Give me offer lists like that every day all day, he's probably playing on Sunday!

Athletics: Alabama

Academics: Duke

Great post  tneun89!

• Heart 1

Rankings will change. I repeat rankings will change. But...

Of the composite 5-stars in the 2023 class, ND is in on a ton of them. Sonny Styles (LB/S) and Drayk Bowen (LB) seem like they are ND's to lose. You also have guys like Dante Moore (QB), Kaydyn Proctor (OL), Samuel M'Pemba (DE), AJ Harris (CB), and Alex Birchmeier (OL) who have all visited ND recently and seem to have ND at or near the top.

ND could land multiple 5-stars in the 2023 class for the first time in forever. The 2022 recruiting class will be very strong, but it could be even better in 2023 with all the 5-star talent. Much needed to start competing with Alabama/Clemson/OSU.

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

It just shows how much improved Notre Dame’s recruiting is. They are pulling together “possibly” a top five 2022 class. And at the same time landing some outstanding 2023 recruits while most teams are still busy trying to get 2022 kids.

11 hours ago, ND_JACK said:

It just shows how much improved Notre Dame’s recruiting is. They are pulling together “possibly” a top five 2022 class. And at the same time landing some outstanding 2023 recruits while most teams are still busy trying to get 2022 kids.

I don’t want to steer to far away from the topic since this is about this kid and coming to ND...however, it goes to show you that ND CAN still recruit top 5 classes.  That all this crying over ND and academics, weather blah blah blah were all excuses. I’ve said it for years, that BK and STAFF weren’t getting the job done. Bring a guy like Freeman in and all of the sudden 5 star DE’s and linebackers(almost 5 stars) are signing on. Kudos for finally getting stepping it up.  Welcome aboard kid. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, coltssb said:

I don’t want to steer to far away from the topic since this is about this kid and coming to ND...however, it goes to show you that ND CAN still recruit top 5 classes.  That all this crying over ND and academics, weather blah blah blah were all excuses. I’ve said it for years, that BK and STAFF weren’t getting the job done. Bring a guy like Freeman in and all of the sudden 5 star DE’s and linebackers(almost 5 stars) are signing on. Kudos for finally getting stepping it up.  Welcome aboard kid. 

It's not like Kelly and Co. haven't demonstrated the ability to recruit positions like Dline at this level ('11 for example). I think what we'll need to see is A) whether or not we can string together multiple years, B) we can recruit more than the 3-5 5*'s and C) we can recruit deep talent on both sides of the ball, across all position groups. The early returns on Freeman are promising and there's a valid question about whether or not that reflects an effort/aspiration issue in prior coaching groups. However, the questions I have won't be answered for 2-3 seasons.

3 minutes ago, soulpatch said:

It's not like Kelly and Co. haven't demonstrated the ability to recruit positions like Dline at this level ('11 for example). I think what we'll need to see is A) whether or not we can string together multiple years, B) we can recruit more than the 3-5 5*'s and C) we can recruit deep talent on both sides of the ball, across all position groups. The early returns on Freeman are promising and there's a valid question about whether or not that reflects an effort/aspiration issue in prior coaching groups. However, the questions I have won't be answered for 2-3 seasons.

You nailed what my gripe is about. He did it in 2011!  It can be done. But it shouldn’t be every ten years until we see 5 star dlinemen coming. Now I’ll give credit to getting great finds or depth guys in Okwara, Hayes etc. But to win a championship you need the Tuitts and Lynch’s of the world. 
i agree with your assessment on Freeman and what his returns will be in two years. Will he keep it up or not. But it’s been a nice breath of fresh air. 

BTW, having 4 DEs get drafted in last two drafts probably helped 2023 DE recruiting.

I have seen quotes from coaches that the #1 criteria for elite recruits is wanting to go where they have the best opportunity for the NFL.

It still takes the effort by coaches to then close the deal with those recruits but it helps when you have draft success to point towards

10 hours ago, coltssb said:

One 5* out of how many. It does not change the fact that most 5*s want to go to a football factory school and not worry about academics. Kelly and the staff mentioned it a couple months ago, only about half of the top 100 recruits in each class are even eligible for Notre Dame. Notre Dame starts out with a big board that is much smaller than OSU, Bama, Clemson, Georgia, etc.