'23 OH DE Brenan Vernon is Irish

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

One 5* out of how many. It does not change the fact that most 5*s want to go to a football factory school and not worry about academics. Kelly and the staff mentioned it a couple months ago, only about half of the top 100 recruits in each class are even eligible for Notre Dame. Notre Dame starts out with a big board that is much smaller than OSU, Bama, Clemson, Georgia, etc.

We have a great chance to land 3 five stars in 23

8 hours ago, coltssb said:

Thank you. And why is that?  Curious?

We already have Vernon.

We are leading right now for Sonny Styles (Lorenzos brother) and Drayk Bowen (Indiana kid)

Great shot to land 3 and maybe more

16 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

One 5* out of how many. It does not change the fact that most 5*s want to go to a football factory school and not worry about academics. Kelly and the staff mentioned it a couple months ago, only about half of the top 100 recruits in each class are even eligible for Notre Dame. Notre Dame starts out with a big board that is much smaller than OSU, Bama, Clemson, Georgia, etc.

So should ND's coach settle for lower expectations and say that he will pass on trying to get five stars since they are too much effort and be happy with Top 15 classes or fight to get his share of the 50% of the Top 100 who are possible? 

No, and they are trying; some years they get a 5* or two, some years they miss on a 5*. If you took a statistics class and have a realistic expectation regarding recruiting, you would not be saying "settle." Do you expect Notre Dame to land majority of the 50% they do target? The answer is simple... no, that is completely unrealistic, I couldnt get those numbers on NCAA Football video game and I was a damn recruiter on that game.

Fans just have unrealistic expectations for their teams now-a-days. Until something changes in the college football world, Notre Dame should be aiming for a top 10 class and be extremely happy if they get a top 5 class. I have accepted the fact that most 5* players around the country do not want to go a school like Notre Dame, and I have come to peace with that. :)

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

No, and they are trying; some years they get a 5* or two, some years they miss on a 5*. If you took a statistics class and have a realistic expectation regarding recruiting, you would not be saying "settle." Do you expect Notre Dame to land majority of the 50% they do target? The answer is simple... no, that is completely unrealistic, I couldnt get those numbers on NCAA Football video game and I was a damn recruiter on that game.

Fans just have unrealistic expectations for their teams now-a-days. Until something changes in the college football world, Notre Dame should be aiming for a top 10 class and be extremely happy if they get a top 5 class. I have accepted the fact that most 5* players around the country do not want to go a school like Notre Dame, and I have come to peace with that. :)

Yet Freeman comes in year one and is Hitting home run after home run. It doesn’t add up. Kelly himself said he wasn’t going after the elite cream of the crop after some of the issues he had with some of the guys he brought in early on. Now all of a sudden the past couple years he has changed his tune some and is trying to land top recruits again and is having some success, or rather Freeman is but the offense keeps striking out.

Edited by ndfanatic78

2 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Yet Freeman comes in year one and is Hitting home run after home run. It doesn’t add up. Kelly himself said he wasn’t going after the elite cream of the crop after some of the issues he had with some of the guys he brought in early on. Now all of a sudden the past couple years he has changed his tune some and is trying to land top recruits again and is having some success, or rather Freeman is but the offense keeps striking out.

What about Blake Fisher, Jordan Johnson, Michael Mayer, and Christ Tyree? Those 4 are 5* or borderline 5* talent on the offensive side that have been successfully recruited in the past two years. Mayer may be the best TE in the country and he is only a sophomore. Yes, Johnson left, but the ND staff was able to get him to sign to the school. What happened after that, I am not sure.

Edited by NDhoosier

My biggest beef with Kelly was that after his first few years he settled and was happy with aiming for Top 15 classes. He also was content to stay in South Bend and be the "closer" while other head coaches were putting in more effort being out on the recruiting trail. He even admitted to doing so in interviews.

Now, Kelly finally has realized that he needs to aim for Top 5 classes to win a game in the CFP and has raised both his target and effort. He also made a great hire from a recruiting perspective in Freeman. Freeman refuses to be outworked and is also willing to battle for elite recruits.

If you aim for Top 15, some years you will be Top 10 but you will also be just Top 20 other years. If you aim for Top 5, it is less likely you will end up out of the Top 10. Just imagine having three more players at the Hamilton talent level on the roster.  

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

My biggest beef with Kelly was that after his first few years he settled and was happy with aiming for Top 15 classes. He also was content to stay in South Bend and be the "closer" while other head coaches were putting in more effort being out on the recruiting trail. He even admitted to doing so in interviews.

Now, Kelly finally has realized that he needs to aim for Top 5 classes to win a game in the CFP and has raised both his target and effort. He also made a great hire from a recruiting perspective in Freeman. Freeman refuses to be outworked and is also willing to battle for elite recruits.

If you aim for Top 15, some years you will be Top 10 but you will also be just Top 20 other years. If you aim for Top 5, it is less likely you will end up out of the Top 10. Just imagine having three more players at the Hamilton talent level on the roster.  

Right. Especially that last sentence. Imagine a Trevor Lawrence or Jalen Waddle on last year’s team. They may have still lost but they would have probably scored 24 points or so. Enough to give the defense a chance. Got to get that additional 2-3 top talent type guys to really compete. Could of done that if they landed some guys in the past. 

• Heart 1

On 7/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, coltssb said:

Right. Especially that last sentence. Imagine a Trevor Lawrence or Jalen Waddle on last year’s team. They may have still lost but they would have probably scored 24 points or so. Enough to give the defense a chance. Got to get that additional 2-3 top talent type guys to really compete. Could of done that if they landed some guys in the past. 

Even just replacing one three star with a five star each recruiting class can have an impact. (which is why recruiting is the single most important factor in college football)

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

he's huge compared to everyone else on that field. lol

They usually are. That was my first taste of what a division 1 college football athlete is. They are just monsters to most of us normal folk. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...