2020 NFL Draft

Why did Claypool not get drafted in first round if his measurables were so good at the Combine?

Is the second best WR at Alabama really that much better than ND's #1 WR?

Because it's more than measurables - it's about what's on tape. DK Metcalf from Ole Miss had one of the best Combine performances ever last year and he was drafted #64 overall. Claypool had one really good season last year, but he was no more than a solid #2 in 2018 (behind Boykin). Those Alabama WRs had insane numbers for multiple years. Jerry Jeudy had back-to-back 1,000+ yard, 10+ TD seasons. Henry Ruggs is a big-play machine. He only had two 700+ yard seasons, but he averaged 16.1 yards/catch and 19.7 yards per catch the last two seasons, with 11 and 7 TDs respectively, and is widely regarded as the fastest player in the entire draft. Ceedee Lamb from OU had 1158 yard and 11 TDs as a Sophomore and 1327 yards and 14 TDs as a Junior (obviously, the OU offense is much more pass-heavy than ND's).

Claypool just doesn't have the film like those guys have. Really good year last year (1037 yards, 15.7 yards/catch, 13 TDs), but prior to that, he was only a #2 or #3 receiver. His Combine performance elevated him from a mid-round guy to a Day 2 guy, but testing can only move a guy up so far.

And it doesn't really mean much that Alabama had two WRs more highly thought of than ND's #1 guy this year. If that was the case, then you could say the same for ND OL in 2017 versus any other school (Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc.) since Nelson and McGlinchey were the first two OL taken. ND generally has elite level OL, just like Alabama has elite level WRs. But it's not a knock to say Alabama had 2 WRs that were better than ND's #1 WR.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My home town 5-7 TCU team had 2 players taken in the first round.

ND had none.

Hard for me to stomach that TCU had a better wide receiver and a better cornerback than ND.

Time will tell...

But then couldn't you say that Louisville and USC have better OL than Clemson because each had 1st Round picks and Clemson had none at that position? Or Texas Tech had a better LB than Alabama and Georgia because a TT LB got drafted and no LB from Alabama or Georgia did. There are just so many variables, like who is eligible to get drafted, what teams' needs are, etc. You can't really draw conclusions because one school had a player get drafted in the 1st Round and another didn't - it's not really a reflection on the programs unless there is consistency (like Alabama WRs, Oklahoma QBs, ND OL, Ohio State DBs, etc.).

It was a serious question.

I'm a Claypool fan and had thought that his combine numbers might have caused one team to bite on him last night. The fact is that he was ND's #1 WR this past season and Alabama had their #1 and #2 WRs get drafted above him says a lot.

I thought that teams might discount Alabama's WRs production since they had a first round QB throwing to them while Claypool did not.

It was a serious question.

I'm a Claypool fan and had thought that his combine numbers might have caused one team to bite on him last night. The fact is that he was ND's #1 WR this past season and Alabama had their #1 and #2 WRs get drafted above him says a lot.

I thought that teams might discount Alabama's WRs production since they had a first round QB throwing to them while Claypool did not.

For sure, I know it was - just trying to explain why I thought he wasn't a first rounder. Just don't think he had enough film and he tested well, but I don't think he played as fast as he ran, if that makes sense. It also seems like some people think he is a tweener WR/TE, which may have hurt him, but I don't really buy that.

But then couldn't you say that Louisville and USC have better OL than Clemson because each had 1st Round picks and Clemson had none at that position? Or Texas Tech had a better LB than Alabama and Georgia because a TT LB got drafted and no LB from Alabama or Georgia did. There are just so many variables, like who is eligible to get drafted, what teams' needs are, etc. You can't really draw conclusions because one school had a player get drafted in the 1st Round and another didn't - it's not really a reflection on the programs unless there is consistency (like Alabama WRs, Oklahoma QBs, ND OL, Ohio State DBs, etc.).

Oh, of course.

I’m just lamenting.

It is an individual thing, not an entire group thing. I wouldn’t say that an entire O line was better or worse than some other line just because one guy was taken from one school and none from another. That’s waaaay to much generalization.

But, it is still hard for me to stomach that TCU had two first rounders and ND had none. TCU was miserable and ND was pretty darned good.

I’m not drawing any conclusions at all. Just lamenting.

Oh, of course.

I’m just lamenting.

It is an individual thing, not an entire group thing. I wouldn’t say that an entire O line was better or worse than some other line just because one guy was taken from one school and none from another. That’s waaaay to much generalization.

But, it is still hard for me to stomach that TCU had two first rounders and ND had none. TCU was miserable and ND was pretty darned good.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29095352/georgia-kirby-smart-non-sec-coaches-warn-recruits-too-tough

It's just not a fair playing field. Dumb kids get into dumb schools with NFL budgets.

The analysts tonight said he had only one division one college offer. Not sure if that was true.

I don’t think that’s right, but it may be that only BC offered him at RB. I know Michigan was heavily involved but wanted him at LB as well.

Oh, of course.

I’m just lamenting.

We just didn’t have any huge stars last year, but our depth is really solid and that’s why we were way better than TCU. I’ll take quality depth over a few token standouts everyday.

Day 3 about to begin. Should see Pride come off the board pretty soon - he’s ranked as the #3 CB available by ESPN.

Kareem could go in Round 4 or Round 5 (hopefully not later). He’s ranked as the #8 DE available.

Gilman is actually the #2 Safety available, so he could come off sooner than expected. Elliot is ranked #11.