Cameron Martinez (OSU committ) 4* ath Muskegon, MI

Per several sources, He did not sign his early letter of intent. Quoted saying after former Ohio State DC left to become Head Coach at Boston College, Martinez "Have Reservations after Coach Hafley accepted the BC HC vacancy". Notre Dame was high on his list before he committed to OSU in the summer. So now the Irish Coaching Staff have expressed interest again, in light of this new development. He has taken 1 his 2 allotted Official visits, visited The Buckeyes right before his verbal commitment. Cameron wants to play offense (more of a running back that can spin the ball very good). Its interesting though as he has "Reservations" after Hafley (A Defensive Coordinator) departed. He is tabbed to play CB (nickel for now) or Safety. Seeing as how Notre Dame is committing to having a strong haul at DB for 2021, maybe some late magic by CBK and Staff can flip this dtnamic athlete to our program. Given the DB coach vacancy we have (Letting Todd Lyght Go), maybe move Martinez to slot or RB if need be. I can see this kid doing damage in kick returns as well. Please check out his YT highlights.

I know him well. He played at my kids high school before transferring. Iโ€™m friends with his uncle and he also dates my friendโ€™s daughter. Heโ€™s an incredibly nice and respectful kid. Certainly a good fit for ND personality-wise.

ย 

Heโ€™s super quick but pretty undersized. He dominates lower competition but struggles against good competition. Honestly, I was surprised he was a 4* and wonder how a college team will use him. Heโ€™s played QB his entire career but heโ€™s not a college QB (canโ€™t pass.) Maybe slot? But heโ€™s never had to catch a pass before. Maybe kick returns? Maybe CB?

ย 

Catholic family so I wouldnโ€™t be surprised if he chose ND.

I know him well. He played at my kids high school before transferring. Iโ€™m friends with his uncle and he also dates my friendโ€™s daughter. Heโ€™s an incredibly nice and respectful kid. Certainly a good fit for ND personality-wise.

ย 

Heโ€™s super quick but pretty undersized. He dominates lower competition but struggles against good competition. Honestly, I was surprised he was a 4* and wonder how a college team will use him. Heโ€™s played QB his entire career but heโ€™s not a college QB (canโ€™t pass.) Maybe slot? But heโ€™s never had to catch a pass before. Maybe kick returns? Maybe CB?

ย 

ย 

Youโ€™re not giving me good vibes about this kid. Ha

ย 

Iโ€™d trust the professionals over my opinion :) I was just surprised by his recruitment - always thought heโ€™d be a 2/3* MAC or lower-end Power 5 guy.

ย 

Iโ€™ll continue to root for the kid no matter where he goes - even if itโ€™s OSU. Yuck! Heโ€™ll represent his school well as a young man for sure

ย 

ย 

ย 

If Ohio State wanted him, they had a very good reasons and I will gladly welcome him to Notre Dame, Our Lady's University!

Per several sources, He did not sign his early letter of intent. Quoted saying after former Ohio State DC left to become Head Coach at Boston College, Martinez "Have Reservations after Coach Hafley accepted the BC HC vacancy". Notre Dame was high on his list before he committed to OSU in the summer. So now the Irish Coaching Staff have expressed interest again, in light of this new development. He has taken 1 his 2 allotted Official visits, visited The Buckeyes right before his verbal commitment. Cameron wants to play offense (more of a running back that can spin the ball very good). Its interesting though as he has "Reservations" after Hafley (A Defensive Coordinator) departed. He is tabbed to play CB (nickel for now) or Safety. Seeing as how Notre Dame is committing to having a strong haul at DB for 2021, maybe some late magic by CBK and Staff can flip this dtnamic athlete to our program. Given the DB coach vacancy we have (Letting Todd Lyght Go), maybe move Martinez to slot or RB if need be. I can see this kid doing damage in kick returns as well. Please check out his YT highlights.

ย 

Welcome back AZ. Not sure we communicated much during your time here originally. ND is doing their due diligence with Martinez. Trying to get him on campus for the Junior Day on Feb 1st. They are also more comfortable offering him as a pure athlete now than they once were.

It sounds like he just needs to meet the new DC and if he's comfortable then he will sign with Ohio State. ND has been trying to get him to visit, but nothing is set thus far. A key signal will be whether he sets a visit to ND soon. If not it sounds like he will sign with OSU in Feb.

Ive been thoroughly watching this playout. He said he absolutely loved ND. I dont think he is as committed to OSU as much as some would like to speculate. Important to also note, Northwestern is also making a push for him. That says too me this kids wants to be on the field from day one, no redshirt. He is undersized, but so was Keivarae Russell (i know Russell is 2 inches taller). Something is telling me he is gonna be a flat out stud. Plus he has a great last name too lol. I believe OSU is wanting him at CB, but damn hes gonna be buried even if he standsout in that position. Would love to see him play nickel, special teams. He has good top end speed and elite acceleration, but he is a quick twitch back, which makes him absolutely lethal in kick/punt returns. If we can get him on campus for an OV, we should steal this one.

Dont fret my dude. Kid can ball, he is not used as a passer in his offense, Heavy RPO and Triple/Wing T option. Like i said in my reply, he is quick twitch and can create space between him and defenders very easily has good acceleration plus very good top end speed. He seems to want to play DB (perfect imho), also think he would do alot of damage in the return game.

Looking like OSU for Cam

ย 

https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/01/final-decision-is-in-cameron-martinez-sticks-with-ohio-state-plans-to-sign-next-week.html

ย 

I will be rooting for him wherever he goes - great kid.

ย 

I saw Ryan Day and Brian Polian at Cam's basketball game against Reeths Puffer. They were laughing and joking the entire time - certainly funny to see 2 coaches sitting with each other on the recruiting trail.

ย 

https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/01/ohio-states-in-home-visit-means-a-lot-to-cameron-martinez-whos-still-mulling-his-options.html

Looking like OSU for Cam

ย 

https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/01/final-decision-is-in-cameron-martinez-sticks-with-ohio-state-plans-to-sign-next-week.html

ย 

I will be rooting for him wherever he goes - great kid.

ย 

I saw Ryan Day and Brian Polian at Cam's basketball game against Reeths Puffer. They were laughing and joking the entire time - certainly funny to see 2 coaches sitting with each other on the recruiting trail.

ย 

https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/01/ohio-states-in-home-visit-means-a-lot-to-cameron-martinez-whos-still-mulling-his-options.html

ย 

So Ohio St has their head coach visit while ND only sends an assistant. Ohio St gets the commitment.