North Korea

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to get China involved and then this threat is over. Obama and Trump for once had similar strategy, other than Trump talking **** igniting flames. One narcissist against another, never ends good. Of course, you have Russia in play too, which have done nothin but encourage Kim.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

I think I may be the only person not too alarmed by this.

Between 1946 and 1958 the US tested nuclear bombs 23 times at the Bikini Atoll area, in the air, on the ground, and under water. 23 times.

We, as US citizens, may argue that all of that testing was done by reasonable scientists under reasonable control and that of course we would never use that technology unless provoked. Our allies probably liked the security of being in our good graces. But all of that testing was probably viewed very differently by countries who were not our allies. It was very provocative to them. And, the testing worked in that the US delivered the message strongly: don't f with us.

I'm not sure how North Korea detonating one bomb over the Pacific is so different than the US detonating 23. I'm not even sure Kim is crazy. I view him more like a hornets nest. When I hear a bunch of hornets I try to stay away. I think Kim will do whatever it takes to stay in power. He knows that an actual missile strike against Japan, South Korea,or the US will be the end of him and his country. I think he'll make a lot of noise to keep the threats away but won't actually use nuclear weapons.

The other threat of course is that maybe North Korea could sell the technology or an actual bomb to an interested third party. That, to me, is the bigger issue regarding North Korea having nuclear weapons. But that has nothing to do with them detonating a device over the Pacific. They already have the technology/capability from all accounts, so a bomb could be sold to, say ISIS any time they want, whether they detonate something over the Pacific or not.

Yeah, I didn't get to finish my post earlier. Anyway I understand what you're saying Kelly. I am concerned out the method of delivery for said Nuke. If NK thinks that they can stuff one on an ICBM and lob it over Japan again, and given their missle's track record of unreliability...well that's a different story especially with a that ordinance on board.

I think I may be the only person not too alarmed by this.

Between 1946 and 1958 the US tested nuclear bombs 23 times at the Bikini Atoll area, in the air, on the ground, and under water. 23 times.

We, as US citizens, may argue that all of that testing was done by reasonable scientists under reasonable control and that of course we would never use that technology unless provoked. Our allies probably liked the security of being in our good graces. But all of that testing was probably viewed very differently by countries who were not our allies. It was very provocative to them. And, the testing worked in that the US delivered the message strongly: don't f with us.

I'm not sure how North Korea detonating one bomb over the Pacific is so different than the US detonating 23. I'm not even sure Kim is crazy. I view him more like a hornets nest. When I hear a bunch of hornets I try to stay away. I think Kim will do whatever it takes to stay in power. He knows that an actual missile strike against Japan, South Korea,or the US will be the end of him and his country. I think he'll make a lot of noise to keep the threats away but won't actually use nuclear weapons.

The other threat of course is that maybe North Korea could sell the technology or an actual bomb to an interested third party. That, to me, is the bigger issue regarding North Korea having nuclear weapons. But that has nothing to do with them detonating a device over the Pacific. They already have the technology/capability from all accounts, so a bomb could be sold to, say ISIS any time they want, whether they detonate something over the Pacific or not.

The real problem is NK has few options where to detonate and will likely do without notice over open ocean which will have shipping that hasn't been cleared.

[ame]

[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance of American government, :canada: but are there check stops or barriers to Trump launching nuclear missiles proactively rather than reactively?

What I'm asking is - is there any government bodies or procedures to stop/delay a Trump decision to launch something first?

Forgive my ignorance of American government, :canada: but are there check stops or barriers to Trump launching nuclear missiles proactively rather than reactively?

What I'm asking is - is there any government bodies or procedures to stop/delay a Trump decision to launch something first?

If people seriously believe that Trump would approve a preemptive nuclear strike, it’s a sign that the world population is getting dumber

Then is there anything to stop him frm pushing the US military so close to North Korea to incite chaos?

You mean by way of his twitter account? Nope. If you're referencing the repeated 'display of force' flights over the Korean peninsula, I would suspect that those decisions are made below his level.

We haven't deployed anything unusual, everything is just getting more coverage by the media now.

Electing trump in the first place is proof the population is getting dumber.

I agree Donald Trump doesn't do things like previous presidents.

I'm not a fan and not not a fan. I could take him or leave him.

But I do know that the actions Reagan, Carter, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama took in trying to stop North Korea from developing a nuclear weapon didn't work. North Korea now has one (or many), and obtaining the required uranium, scientific knowledge, construction, and infrastructure in general didn't happen just in the 10 months since January 20th, 2017.

Trump seems to be trying to do something different than his predecessors. North Korea, from all appearances, has not been stymied at all by the previous Republican and Democratic administrations or by world-imposed sanctions. Doing the same-old same-old is only going to lead to the same-old result.

Is Trump doing something that will work out well? That's the nuclear question. We can debate it here on DD all we want, but none of us has the governmental intelligence that Trump is being given. It takes cajones muy grandes (one of my favorite Texas phrases) to deal with such a difficult regime on this stage. I have sons that are of draft-able age and I worry about these things quite a bit. It's like an incredible 'game' of chicken. I hope the car Kim Jung Un is riding in swerves before there's a head-on collision.

But I do know that the actions Reagan, Carter, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama took in trying to stop North Korea from developing a nuclear weapon didn't work. North Korea now has one (or many), and obtaining the required uranium, scientific knowledge, construction, and infrastructure in general didn't happen just in the 10 months since January 20th, 2017.

Trump seems to be trying to do something different than his predecessors. North Korea, from all appearances, has not been stymied at all by the previous Republican and Democratic administrations or by world-imposed sanctions. Doing the same-old same-old is only going to lead to the same-old result.

Is Trump doing something that will work out well? That's the nuclear question. We can debate it here on DD all we want, but none of us has the governmental intelligence that Trump is being given. It takes cajones muy grandes (one of my favorite Texas phrases) to deal with such a difficult regime on this stage. I have sons that are of draft-able age and I worry about these things quite a bit. It's like an incredible 'game' of chicken. I hope the car Kim Jung Un is riding in swerves before there's a head-on collision.

I agree. I'm not a trump fan but my mom used to work in a mental facility (I hope I'm saying that right) and they were taught that when a patient acts out, don't stand down. Be firm. So i haven't been critical of trump and his dealing with nk. Trump is wildcard that kim doesn't know how to deal with.

Don't you think he's backed himself into a corner now? Either he's all talk or he has to unleash the military(that nobody really wants). Right now, I think he's done pretty much what every other president has done-pass down sanctions.

However, I do think he's tried hard to curb China's power in stopping North Korea. But you know what China wants I return...Trade in their favor. We are back to square one. ASU said, it's if,but when NK gets them. We need to be focused on setting up our defense systems.

Don't you think he's backed himself into a corner now? Either he's all talk or he has to unleash the military(that nobody really wants). Right now, I think he's done pretty much what every other president has done-pass down sanctions.

However, I do think he's tried hard to curb China's power in stopping North Korea. But you know what China wants I return...Trade in their favor. We are back to square one. ASU said, it's if,but when NK gets them. We need to be focused on setting up our defense systems.

I think China is really in a lose/lose situation in the NK mess. For years they have propped them up, and a lot of this is China's fault. NK is ignoring China. They are losing face and their String of Pearls economic and trade plans are in serious jeopardy because of this and other disputes with their neighbors. They are surrounded by nuclear capable neighbors on all sides, in no small part they helped to facilitate. They're basically f'ed themselves.

NK probably doesn't crack the top 50 for reasons why Trump makes me depressed. Still over 3 more years to go of this chaos.

I'll bet right now that Trump is not President for the full four years. I believe he will leave under his own volition with 8-12 months left in his term. I think he is being as disruptive as he can be, "draining the swamp", understanding that with disruption come enemies. Those enemies are both Republican and Democrat, and all want him gone before he takes away what is theirs. They are and will be gunning for him, and I think he'll resign after receiving some type of guaranteed pardon for any and all perceived offenses. Purely conjecture of course, but I don't think he really wants to be President for four years.