2018 ND Lacrosse

2017 Top Incoming Men's Class: Notre Dame

For the first time, Notre Dame — a program that’s appeared in 22 NCAA Tournaments, five Final Fours and two NCAA championship games— can boast IL’s No. 1-rated incoming class.

LET'S GO! This is the class that brings a championship home!

Edited by irishrb

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great for them!

If any of them can complete a pass to a wide open team mate crossing a few yards in front of them, perhaps BK might need to take a look at him. Ditto regarding the guy catching the pass.

Ironically, Rik Mirer's son is one of the Frosh Lax players.

• 4 months later...

Well, not the best start to their season, but ND managed to hold off Detroit Mercy for a W.

Positives:

Constabile: 5 Goals and 2 Assists. Awesome game shooting hard and finding open people.

Schmidt: New Goalie: Had some really good saves...showed good poise

They won.

Negatives:

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers...ND could not clear and the number of sloppy, panic passes, even on opening day was just bad.

Garnsey: Horrible game. He managed to score 1 goal but did not come to play today. I know he had some thoughts of transferring, I hope he's not playing it back in his head, because he looked like garbage today.

Edited by irishrb

I’m, sorry but with all these talented freshman this shouldn’t of been a game. Then, again I don’t think many of the freshman played.

Talented ROSTER! ND got the #1 recruiting class last year, and they have been recruiting pretty well over that last four years too! To me, the biggest concern was definitely clearing, and there weren't really any adjustments to correct it. I get it, they lost several quality D-poles, and Sexton is hurt, but there's no excuse for how bad their clearing was against a weak team like that.

Talented ROSTER! ND got the #1 recruiting class last year, and they have been recruiting pretty well over that last four years too! To me, the biggest concern was definitely clearing, and there weren't really any adjustments to correct it. I get it, they lost several quality D-poles, and Sexton is hurt, but there's no excuse for how bad their clearing was against a weak team like that.

No doubt they need to sharpen their game quickly. The schedule is not kind to them. But this team has plenty of potential once those frosh get their feet wet.

• 2 weeks later...

The Irish move to 2-0 as they managed to fend off richmond, 11-7.

Pros:

They cleaned up their clearing. Spacing was good and passing was much better.

Sexton was back and made an immediate impact. He covers the entire field and is a great scoring threat for a long pole.

Gleason....The kid is quick, and fearless...had 3 goals and 3 assists

Costabile...Continues to play well...2 goals...

Stong 4th quarter, as they outscored them 5-1

Cons:

Really struggled in the third...Were up 5-0 and just couldn't get possession.

Face-offs....So average....as always, will most likely be their main problem once they get into elite competition.

Garnsey...Passed better, and scored a goal, but he just looks so slow right now....

Competition really picks up now as they have to travel to maryland on Saturday and then have Denver at home.

The Irish move to 2-0 as they managed to fend off richmond, 11-7.

Pros:

They cleaned up their clearing. Spacing was good and passing was much better.

Sexton was back and made an immediate impact. He covers the entire field and is a great scoring threat for a long pole.

Gleason....The kid is quick, and fearless...had 3 goals and 3 assists

Costabile...Continues to play well...2 goals...

Stong 4th quarter, as they outscored them 5-1

Cons:

Really struggled in the third...Were up 5-0 and just couldn't get possession.

Face-offs....So average....as always, will most likely be their main problem once they get into elite competition.

Garnsey...Passed better, and scored a goal, but he just looks so slow right now....

Competition really picks up now as they have to travel to maryland on Saturday and then have Denver at home.

Just, amazes me that we can never recruit a decent Faceoff guy.

Didn’t watch the game knew what would happen. At least, they only lost by 2?

Watched the game...

Positves...

Garnsey...Did not play at all in the 1st...Came in and played angry...4 goals and 1 assist...Hopefully this is the turning point for him!

Honestly not a whole lot of other positives stuck out to me...It was just a game you could tell they were going to lose.

Negatives:

ND looked....average to me...Connor Kelly lit them up with 10 points. Maryland was just faster, quicker, and got to the ball better than ND.

Schmidt did not see the ball well and got pulled...Goalie battle now?

As always...Faceoffs sucked....ND was 8-24. Maryland would make it, take it, and then run their offense until the refs put the timer on. The fact that there is no shot clock is a complete joke. It lets one player, the FOGO, totally dictate the game. Like I said earlier....This will kill them all year

IMO, ND should play their younger guys....They are coming off the number one recruiting class. PLAY THEM!

Edited by irishrb

Just trying to keep one thread...

It was a huge win for the Irish today as they took down denver. Honestly, I really didn't think they had much of a chance coming into this game, mostly because of Baptiste...GLAD I was wrong.

PROS:

ND came out smokin' hot and looked the best they have all year long.

Gleason and Costabile showed they can score.

A freshman, Drake, looked really good, and saw the field a lot.

Trav really battled Baptiste at the X.

Cons:

ND really struggled in the second half....Couldn't score, couldn't clear for stretches...I really think they need to play more people. They are overplaying their first line of middies.

Schmidt...Frosh goalie...Still questions with him as I don't think he's tracking the ball as well as he should.

Garnsey...Looked great last week...Saw only a couple of minutes today...hurt???

Just trying to keep one thread...

It was a huge win for the Irish today as they took down denver. Honestly, I really didn't think they had much of a chance coming into this game, mostly because of Baptiste...GLAD I was wrong.

PROS:

ND came out smokin' hot and looked the best they have all year long.

Gleason and Costabile showed they can score.

A freshman, Drake, looked really good, and saw the field a lot.

Trav really battled Baptiste at the X.

Cons:

ND really struggled in the second half....Couldn't score, couldn't clear for stretches...I really think they need to play more people. They are overplaying their first line of middies.

Schmidt...Frosh goalie...Still questions with him as I don't think he's tracking the ball as well as he should.

Garnsey...Looked great last week...Saw only a couple of minutes today...hurt???

Ryder and Mikey need to step up for this team to be final 4 worthy. They, were non existent today.

Ryder and Mikey need to step up for this team to be final 4 worthy. They, were non existent today.

I agree 100%. They are creating most of their opportunities up top, and the middies are being overplayed. I truly think Garnsey is hurt, and Wynne isn't getting enough touches.

Pretty sloppy game by the Irish, but at least they won...

Positives:

Super hot start by the Irish getting face-offs and burying their shots...Started 4-0 in the blink of an eye.

It was nice to see the old guys, Garnsey, and Wynne, generate some offense behind the cage. They have to be able to do this to truly be elite this year, as the middies are not deep.

Man down defense was great. Their defenders really closed out, communicated, and recovered incredibly well. uva was only 1 of 6 with man up.

Sexton looks healthy and back to himself...Created some huge turnovers near the end, and came up with a lot of groundballs.

Good riding by the Irish, as uva was only 12-18 on clears...uva's d-poles weren't that good clearing either though...

Negatives:

This offense really goes for long stretches without scoring.

6 penalties against the Irish...Way too many...

The team still loses focus and plays some sloppy lacrosse for stretches.

Pretty sloppy game by the Irish, but at least they won...

Positives:

Super hot start by the Irish getting face-offs and burying their shots...Started 4-0 in the blink of an eye.

It was nice to see the old guys, Garnsey, and Wynne, generate some offense behind the cage. They have to be able to do this to truly be elite this year, as the middies are not deep.

Man down defense was great. Their defenders really closed out, communicated, and recovered incredibly well. uva was only 1 of 6 with man up.

Sexton looks healthy and back to himself...Created some huge turnovers near the end, and came up with a lot of groundballs.

Good riding by the Irish, as uva was only 12-18 on clears...uva's d-poles weren't that good clearing either though...

Negatives:

This offense really goes for long stretches without scoring.

6 penalties against the Irish...Way too many...

The team still loses focus and plays some sloppy lacrosse for stretches.

I went to the game and yes first 5 minutes ND just dominated in all aspects. Though, yes the penalties need to stop. It was pretty one sided. I loved seeing Mikey step up.