Confederate Statues

I think we should take the opportunity to teach and heal our divide. There is also the Stone Mountain monument to deal with.

I think we as a nation should pull up some of our stakes of stubbornness and work together. I don't think we should destroy history, but we should learn from it and we should make history while learning from it.

Lets create new parks or change/add to existing parks and call them historical walks. We take these statues/monuments and place then on a trail or sidewalk path that has a beginning from the start of our US history and an continues to today with room for tomorrow. Each monument should tell a story of a part of our history that it represents. The story should be complete though and tell the truth. This way they are resting in their "proper" spot and telling a story that can remind/teach both our glorious and dark history. We can also include events/history that were coinciding with other world events/figures. These parks need to include all races, not just black and white and should just not just teach the dark side of our history. It can and should include all wars that we were in and should include the Native Americans history as well. We probably should erect new statutes of people who were forgotten.

So places like Stone Mountain and Mount Rushmore would be ideal for this type of park. We are in need of a healthy dose of truth to our history and it will certainly be beneficial to all of us going forward.

You have stated a most respectful and logical solution. I appluad your well thought out perspective and solution.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a few slave owners in the South and fewer in the North. (Compared to the number of citizens)

Most confederate soldiers went to war to defend the the South where they lived and not for slavery.

Slavery was ugly to most, no matter the part on the country they lived in.

Yeah whatever, still doesn't explain the statues, maybe grave yards. Either way the south still and did vote against their interest. They voted for the people that elected to succeed from the union. They fought for for them. There were southern unionist like Sam Houston, has a damn university and city named after him that were against the war. There were some, but not "most" who were against slavery. If you had 20+ slaves you didn't have to fight, cowards.

Edited by Jim2Dokes