liquor

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really I've just heard some names but no specific type. I see now that it makes a difference.

How about some scotch, bourbon, and vodkas?

Thanks

Scotch is a bit like wine. There are two main types, red and white, but then a number of variations within each type. With scotch, many of the Islay scotches have a very smoky flavor, like Echo mentioned, that some don't care for.

So if you don't know for sure they like that, I'd stay away from that region. Some of the names from this region (or that have a smokey flavor) are Bowmore, Laphroaig, Talisker and Oban. So unless you've heard those names, I'd pass.

Some good choices would be Glenlivet, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. You can't go too wrong choosing from those. They'll all have different ages, again, the older, the more expensive, but the better. So find one in your price point. The 10-12 years should be $40ish, 15 in the $60's or so and closer to $100+ as you get into the 18's.

Glenmorangie has some different varieties, Qunita Ruban, Lasanta, Nectar D'or that just offer some different flavor profiles and would be something a bit different that just buying an aged bottle. The Glenmorangie Nectar D'or is good, pretty easy drinking and might be something new for whoever it is for. Should be in the $65 range.

Macallan is a big name in scotch and priceier. I don't find it any better, but others disagree. But if they are the type who likes "name brand" stuff, that might be a brand to look at also.

Good luck!

Edited by corysold

Scotch is a bit like wine. There are two main types, red and white, but then a number of variations within each type. With scotch, many of the Islay scotches have a very smoky flavor, like Echo mentioned, that some don't care for.

So if you don't know for sure they like that, I'd stay away from that region. Some of the names from this region (or that have a smokey flavor) are Bowmore, Laphroaig, Talisker and Oban. So unless you've heard those names, I'd pass.

Some good choices would be Glenlivet, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. You can't go too wrong choosing from those. They'll all have different ages, again, the older, the more expensive, but the better. So find one in your price point. The 10-12 years should be $40ish, 15 in the $60's or so and closer to $100+ as you get into the 18's.

Glenmorangie has some different varieties, Qunita Ruban, Lasanta, Nectar D'or that just offer some different flavor profiles and would be something a bit different that just buying an aged bottle. The Glenmorangie Nectar D'or is good, pretty easy drinking and might be something new for whoever it is for. Should be in the $65 range.

Macallan is a big name in scotch and priceier. I don't find it any better, but others disagree. But if they are the type who likes "name brand" stuff, that might be a brand to look at also.

Good luck!

I agree wrt Macallan. I've never noticed a difference....

I got a bottle of 18 yr Macallan as a gift and it changed my mind - I really do think it is the best scotch I've ever had (and I've had a lot more than I should). I haven't tried any of the new Macallans (the named bottles rather than years), but I've heard their great.

My go to bottle is the 15 yr Glenlivet - great taste, not going to break the bank.

I still haven't tried Pappy Van Winkle bourbon but I've heard it's a must - anyone agree??

I got a bottle of 18 yr Macallan as a gift and it changed my mind - I really do think it is the best scotch I've ever had (and I've had a lot more than I should). I haven't tried any of the new Macallans (the named bottles rather than years), but I've heard their great.

My go to bottle is the 15 yr Glenlivet - great taste, not going to break the bank.

I still haven't tried Pappy Van Winkle bourbon but I've heard it's a must - anyone agree??

I've not had the 18 song cant speak to it. Macallan is a fine scotch, maybe more than fine, the 12 I tried was very good. But at almost double the price of other 12's that I also find very good, I can't justify the price.

Single malt scotch.

If you really want to impress your friend, get some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Glencairn-Whisky-Glass-Set-4/dp/B003QX2JMA

It allows the scotch to release aroma directly to the nose, which aids in tasting, so they say anyway, I've never really noticed a huge difference.

I have thoughts on the rest of your post which I will come back to when I have more time. I am highlighting this part of your post because Glencairn glasses are fantastic. Precisely because you have to stick your nose in It, literally, you can smell and anticipate what you will taste. Some of the vernacular is is exaggerated, but it forces you to think about what you will consume. That sense of smell is diluted, IMO,Ina traditional rocks glass. If it is a new scotch to me, I will bring g it to my nose and smell it a half-dozen times (at least) to try and pick up the notes.

The glass does not make a JW Black taste like a Macallan 18,but it does greatly enhance the experience of the consumption (especially conversation).

I use them for drinking bourbon, rye, basically any whiskey.

Oh, and scotch is drunk neat or you go to hell.:-P

• 3 weeks later...

I actually hate scotch. I have tried everything from the very expensive to the very cheap. I know it is an acquired taste....I just don't think I am capable of acquiring it.

However, I have a sorta-kinda on topic story...

Horrible Lawyer + Divorcing Satan + Satan having family with $$ = Me paying 2k a month in spousal support for 6 more months than I was actually married.

After support payments ended, I went to the local liquor store and purchased a bottle of scotch they had in a display behind the register that was $1999.99. The purchase was my way of celebrating being able to choose what to p**s my own money away on.

Though I do still have it, it is packed up in a box from my last move.

I am honestly not sure what year or brand. I am pretty sure it started with a G though. I'll dig it out one of these days and post a pick. I actually thought about giving it away to a member of DD for some kind of contest....but now that I know Rocket and Tenacious_ND hate it as much as I do, I am thinking we can kill it playing quarters.

I actually hate scotch. I have tried everything from the very expensive to the very cheap. I know it is an acquired taste....I just don't think I am capable of acquiring it.

However, I have a sorta-kinda on topic story...

Horrible Lawyer + Divorcing Satan + Satan having family with $$ = Me paying 2k a month in spousal support for 6 more months than I was actually married.

After support payments ended, I went to the local liquor store and purchased a bottle of scotch they had in a display behind the register that was $1999.99. The purchase was my way of celebrating being able to choose what to p**s my own money away on.

Though I do still have it, it is packed up in a box from my last move.

I am honestly not sure what year or brand. I am pretty sure it started with a G though. I'll dig it out one of these days and post a pick. I actually thought about giving it away to a member of DD for some kind of contest....but now that I know Rocket and Tenacious_ND hate it as much as I do, I am thinking we can kill it playing quarters.

Did it look like this?

http://scotchaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/glenlivet-cellar-collection-1964.jpg

That's a pretty great story. I like scotch and I balk at $80 for a bottle.

When you do open it, you won't even taste the scotch, it will be the sweet taste of freedom.

Did it look like this?

http://scotchaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/glenlivet-cellar-collection-1964.jpg

That's a pretty great story. I like scotch and I balk at $80 for a bottle.

When you do open it, you won't even taste the scotch, it will be the sweet taste of freedom.

That might actually be very close. I was just googling scotch to see if any of them looked right, and the Glenlivet is really the only one that looks familiar.

That might actually be very close. I was just googling scotch to see if any of them looked right, and the Glenlivet is really the only one that looks familiar.

There are only so many $2,000 bottles of scotch. A liquor store I sometimes go to has this one a few others in the $1,000 range. I always wondered who bought them, now I know!

• 1 month later...