liquor

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Single malt scotch.

You can find some good ones that don't break the bank.

Learn some of the terms, pretend you can taste the difference between a Speyside, Lowland, Highland and Islay and you'll be all set. Throw in "peaty" and "grassy" when describing flavors and you'll be as cultured as you need to be.

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are two good Speysides to start with.

If you really want to impress your friend, get some of these:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Glencairn-Whisky-Glass-Set-4/dp/B003QX2JMA[/ame]

It allows the scotch to release aroma directly to the nose, which aids in tasting, so they say anyway, I've never really noticed a huge difference.

A few pointers. You pour a "dram" of scotch, which is technically an amount, something like an 1/8 of an ounce, but in laymans terms, it is any pour of scotch.

The older the bottle, the more developed flavors, but also the higher the cost. By law, scotch has to be aged at least 3 years in an oak cask, though most are aged longer. Many "cheap" scotches will be 10 year or 12 year varieties. However, sometimes they will mix various casks, so that number is the youngest scotch in the mix. You can get 15 year, 18 year etc. up into the 20's is most common, though "limited' editions can be even older, and thusly more costly.

Price doesn't always equal flavor. Sometimes a name drives the price, like in anything else. Find a few that "you" like, not what someone tells you you are supposed to like. My go to is a Cardhu 10 year. Not the highest reviewed scotch, but it is pretty reasonable and I enjoy it.

Try to find a tasting night or someone who will let you taste some of theirs. Most will be in the $20-30 range at minimum with many getting into the $50+ range easily. Trying a number of different scotches can get expensive quickly.

Edited by corysold

Scotch tastes like cigar flavoured water...yuck...

You mean it tastes peaty and smoky.

It is an acquired taste and much like wine, I've never really been able to distinguish the difference between the regions like some say they can, other than overall tastes.

The only other liquor I drink is gin, though I usually just buy something cheap as I mix it in gin and tonics or Tom Collins.

However, I'll usually have a bottle of Tanqueray around if I need it, but I'm not as big on the more expensive gins out there.

And you always have to have a bottle of Gordon's for when you are feeling James Bondish.

Scotch tastes like cigar flavoured water...yuck...

You're not spending enough. Even Glenlivet doesn't taste good to me unless it's older than 12 years...

Some scotches are known for their smokiness---like Talisker. It's not my cup of tea.

Glenmorangie is the best, IMO....I go with their 18 year as a staple in my cabinet.

You're not spending enough. Even Glenlivet doesn't taste good to me unless it's older than 12 years...

Some scotches are known for their smokiness---like Talisker. It's not my cup of tea.

Glenmorangie is the best, IMO....I go with their 18 year as a staple in my cabinet.

That is a fine choice. I got a bottle as a gift once and really enjoyed it, but a bit high for my budget as a go to bottle.

Vodka is a good starter. So many people are scotch fanatics but it is a pretty high entry point. (75 plus for a decent bottle) and if you are like me, it is just a waste. I say, if you want to get in the boat and not break the bank, start with Vodka and Tequila.

Tequilo Reposado has a HUGE range of tastes and qualities and prices. I like Don Julio as a good midrange tequila and you don't have to sip it to enjoy it. You can have it in a mixed drink or as a shot and STILL appreciate the difference. And you don't have to pretend to understand why someone says that it tastes oaky when it tastes like an old jockstrap smells.

Vodka is the same story. You can traipse through the range of Kettle One, Grey Goose, Belvedere in mixed drink or martini. Or you can sip if you are possessed of such a fortitude.

Sure, you might not look as cool when you are hanging around in a basement with a bunch of old men in hunting jackets... wait, what?

And honestly, at the end of the day you never need to be more cultured than beer. There is such a huge variety of beers out there that you never need to branch out into liquor. I am a PBR guy but in my travels I have sampled all manner of stouts, sours, porters and IPAs and that is enough conversation in and of itself.

My 2c

Cheers

Doubt scotch is for me... I'm a gulper not a sipper :)

I used to be the same way...in fact I still am when it comes to beer.

That being said, try scotch with lots of ice cubes and toss in a little bit of water the first couple times....

10 or so posts into this and I think you have your first important lesson.

Culture is different for everyone. What one thinks of high class, someone else sees differently.

I think the key is, and what I've tried to do, is to fake it until you make it. Learn enough about all the different spirits that you can make do in any situation. You aren't drinking scotch in a Mexican restaurant most likely and ordering Tequila at a Kentucky Derby party just isn't going to work.

I tried to learn a few low end and a few high end varieties in each of the main spirit groups. Find a every day tequila and a special occasion bottle. Same for scotch, vodka, bourbon etc. That way, whenever you are at a party or function and you are offered a drink, you can say, "Hmm, I've never had that, how does it compare to X? Tell me what you like about it." You don't come off as totally unknowledgable, but let the host talk about themselves, which they all like to do, while learning about another variety you can tuck away for later.

Glenmorangie 18 is a great scotch. It is also $130 a bottle. It is great to know that though for when you are in a situation that level of bottle is being drunk. But also good to know about Glenfiddich 12 year, which is $35-$40 a bottle and probably found in more homes and bars.

On one hand, it is about learning what you like so you can enjoy it when you are alone or when you are hosting. But also important to know what else is out there for when you are in Rome as they say.

Im a big fan of both scotch and bourbon. My go to cost effective scotch is Glenlivet 12 year old. Ive drank more bourbon than scotch in my short time. I really like Bulleit for a good cost effective bourbon. If you decide to try scotch stay away from Laphroaig, until you can handle something like Glenlivet. Laphroaig is really peaty and i doubt you would like it.