Common Core in the schools

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll vouch for teachers being overpaid! :)

Teaching for almost 20 years, with a master's degree and a major in math....and I just hit $50,000 this year!

What grade do you teach? If it's not college level then you made a mistake going to get your masters cause $50k/year is not a good ROI for college and then masters. I hope people start getting the idea that college is not worth the debt to ROI given your major...and definitely not certain masters degrees. Perfect example, my kindergarten teacher friend. Went to Augustana college...majored in education...has $120k in debt and makes $30k a year teaching private school. Loves what she does but c'mon...elementary school should only require an associates degree...and high school should require college degree...MAX.

I would say you're underpaid either way for what you do. But that's the forces of supply and demand at work. Likely and oversupply of math teachers and people want a good education but aren't willing to pay top dollar for it until college.