Pentagon Planning for Climate Change

“The department certainly agrees that climate change is having an impact on national security, whether by increasing global instability, by opening the Arctic or by increasing sea level and storm surge near our coastal installations,” John Conger, the Pentagon’s deputy under secretary of defense for installations and environment, said in a statement. “We are actively integrating climate considerations across the full spectrum of our activities to ensure a ready and resilient force.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/us/politics/climate-change-deemed-growing-security-threat-by-military-researchers.html?hp&_r=1

Pentagon reacting to bogus, unsettled science ... wasting more taxpayer money to fight conflicts that won't come about because climate change is a farce perpetrated by money-grubbing scientists getting fat from the government trough.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The department certainly agrees that climate change is having an impact on national security, whether by increasing global instability, by opening the Arctic or by increasing sea level and storm surge near our coastal installations,” John Conger, the Pentagon’s deputy under secretary of defense for installations and environment, said in a statement. “We are actively integrating climate considerations across the full spectrum of our activities to ensure a ready and resilient force.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/us/politics/climate-change-deemed-growing-security-threat-by-military-researchers.html?hp&_r=1

Pentagon reacting to bogus, unsettled science ... wasting more taxpayer money to fight conflicts that won't come about because climate change is a farce perpetrated by money-grubbing scientists getting fat from the government trough.

Ahhhh, you mean the same Pentagon that pays $200 for a toilet seat and and $300 for a hammer? Yeah those guys never waste any tax payer money..

The Pentagon is probably the worst offender of spending outside of Congress in the entire government. Read up on all the data about the development of the F-35 fighter as just one example. I had an Air Force buddy of mine explain a lot of it to me three years ago, its absurd.

Honestly the military would be nuts if they weren't considering all the factors going into the over population of the earth in many areas, especially 3rd world countries, and how the fight for limited resources like water will have an impact on any future conflicts.

Ahhhh, you mean the same Pentagon that pays $200 for a toilet seat and and $300 for a hammer? Yeah those guys never waste any tax payer money..

The Pentagon is probably the worst offender of spending outside of Congress in the entire government. Read up on all the data about the development of the F-35 fighter as just one example. I had an Air Force buddy of mine explain a lot of it to me three years ago, its absurd.

Honestly the military would be nuts if they weren't considering all the factors going into the over population of the earth in many areas, especially 3rd world countries, and how the fight for limited resources like water will have an impact on any future conflicts.

Actually the JSF (F-35) is one of the few success stories of the pentagon. It is one of the most cost efficient fighter planes ever made based on capabilities and economies of scale. It has just been a focus point of the dems and media as they drive down the defense budget to serve their own agendas and the entitlement programs.

National Security my a$$. If our .gov gave a $hit about national security the following wouldn't happen. I really hope you read it.

http://news.yahoo.com/murderers-rapists-kidnappers-over-36-000-criminal-illegal-154822279.html

National Security my a$$. If our .gov gave a $hit about national security the following wouldn't happen. I really hope you read it.

http://news.yahoo.com/murderers-rapists-kidnappers-over-36-000-criminal-illegal-154822279.html

Wait - you're upset that they're making decisions based on unsettled science? I don't know what is causing it or how it all started or whether it's human-induced change or just a "thing" the Earth is going through, but I think we can all agree that the weather HAS been rowdy lately, all around the world. Wildfires out west, polar vortexes in the Midwest, tornado outbreaks, and that's just in our own country. To me, it feels like they are trying to proactively prepare for more catastrophic weather events, nothing more.

Or I could just be naïve, but I think you're reaching here.

Wait - you're upset that they're making decisions based on unsettled science? I don't know what is causing it or how it all started or whether it's human-induced change or just a "thing" the Earth is going through, but I think we can all agree that the weather HAS been rowdy lately, all around the world. Wildfires out west, polar vortexes in the Midwest, tornado outbreaks, and that's just in our own country. To me, it feels like they are trying to proactively prepare for more catastrophic weather events, nothing more.

I am upset that every problem is blamed on "climate change" nowadays. Its just way too convenient for people and in a lot of cases I think its just a copout. We have politicians using it as a weapon against each other constantly. That report stated something to the effect that "tribes are killing each other over water". People have been killing each other over natural resources for eons, big deal.

We are so concerned over "climate change" effecting national security, but the administration just released 30 some thousand illegal immigrants back into circulation. Some of those people are violent criminals.

Half, if not more, of the posters on this board do NOT accept the notion the Earth's climate is actually warming... and would argue the weather events you cite are NOT unusual, nor increasing in frequency.

So, for the flat_earth society... if that's the case, then there should be no logic in the military preparing for events that are not "out of the ordinary" ... and they should be writing and calling their congresscritters to question the military on wasteful preparations.

I just want to hear some consistent outrage.

A bit extreme for the Pentagon to be preparing for global warming or climate change or whatever. Not sure how melting ice caps and rising seas affect defense capabilities. Buuut this is what happens with large govt. You pool money and you spend it much faster. No different than when you go out to dinner on a group tab and people start ordering stuff like crazy...then the bill comes.

A bit extreme for the Pentagon to be preparing for global warming or climate change or whatever. Not sure how melting ice caps and rising seas affect defense capabilities. Buuut this is what happens with large govt. You pool money and you spend it much faster. No different than when you go out to dinner on a group tab and people start ordering stuff like crazy...then the bill comes.

They state in the article that if sea levels continue to rise at the pace they are, Norfolk, VA, for example, could be under water. I don't believe they said when that could happen - it could be 80 years out for all I know, but they do state that Norfolk is a strategic, key Naval installation so... I'm guessing rising sea water wiping out a city could impact the Navy, the coast guard, and even Army bases that may be in the area. If that is even a possibility, what should they do, sit on their hands and just wait? Or try to do something about it?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't, it seems.

I am upset that every problem is blamed on "climate change" nowadays. Its just way too convenient for people and in a lot of cases I think its just a copout. We have politicians using it as a weapon against each other constantly. That report stated something to the effect that "tribes are killing each other over water". People have been killing each other over natural resources for eons, big deal.

We are so concerned over "climate change" effecting national security, but the administration just released 30 some thousand illegal immigrants back into circulation. Some of those people are violent criminals.

Seems to me like you're the one connecting these dots, just as much as they supposedly are? Methinks you're outrage is based on the "why" of climate change, not the "when." I am not a meteorologist or a scientist by any stretch, but I do have a television and the Weather Channel and, to me, the layman, **** is crazy these days and being prepared for future disasters sure beats complete inaction. Just my opinion though. I have no authority or knowledge to refute what you're saying and I admit that.

You cynical take actually backfires....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2629064/The-Pentagons-guide-surviving-zombie-apocalypse-US-military-outlines-plans-deal-undead-chickens-space-invaders-VEGETARIANS.html

The country's contingency plans for a zombie onslaught emerged in from an unclassified document, obtained by Foreign Policy magazine, called 'CONOP 8888' - otherwise known as 'Counter-Zombie Dominance'.

Other possible attacks include evil magic zombies created through occult experimentation and vegetarian zombies which survive on plants so pose no threat to human life and zombies from space.

The report contains a disclaimer that 'this plan was not actually designed as a joke', but it originated after military planners in Omaha, Nebraska, wanted a scenario for dealing with a widespread national emergency.

Edited by piratey

Nice try ...

Navy Capt. Pamela Kunze, a spokeswoman for Strategic Command, acknowledged the document exists on a "secure Internet site" but took pains to explain that the zombie survival guide is only a creative endeavor for training purposes. "The document is identified as a training tool used in an in-house training exercise where students learn about the basic concepts of military plans and order development through a fictional training scenario," she wrote in an email. "This document is not a U.S. Strategic Command plan."

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/05/13/exclusive_the_pentagon_has_a_plan_to_stop_the_zombie_apocalypse

I think you'll find the climate change contingencies very real, and not a fictional training scenario.

Climate change is just like the IRS bein dispatched by liberals to harass non-profit conservatives.

Oh wait....more documents show that is in fact happening all over the country.

Can't trust any government. It's all over folks

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/pentagon-climate-change_n_5382067.html

The amendment, from Rep. David McKinley (R-W.Va.), passed in what was nearly a party-line vote. Four Democrats voted for the amendment, and three Republicans voted against it. The bill aims to block the DOD from taking any significant action related to climate change or its potential consequences. It reads:

None of the funds authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to implement the U.S. Global Change Research Program National Climate Assessment, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's Fifth Assessment Report, the United Nation's Agenda 21 sustainable development plan, or the May 2013 Technical Update of the Social Cost of Carbon for Regulatory Impact Analysis Under Executive Order 12866.

Thank you for some consistency...

non-profit conservatives...lol, that's funny

Oh yeah, the evil rich conservative seed has been planted. Take a look see and find out who the wealthiest politicians are. It is by far more democrats than repubs. Not defending the repubs as they are crooked as hell too, I just hate the argument that conservatives are rich greedy bastards.

Oh yeah, the evil rich conservative seed has been planted. Take a look see and find out who the wealthiest politicians are. It is by far more democrats than repubs. Not defending the repubs as they are crooked as hell too, I just hate the argument that conservatives are rich greedy bastards.

Dems / Repubs are simply fighting over which multinational corporations to favor. For Dems, it is usually Insurance (finance / lawyers) and Medical... and for Repubs, it is usally Defense & Energy... both support Wall Street.

I argue that they're all greedy bastards.

When was the last time you read a story about a billionaire's son or daughter you died for our freedoms... really.