DIY Home Renovation\Fixing Stuff Thread

Scour the internet for bar backs. You can usually find them pretty cheap or even free as places go our of business or people just get rid of them. Can make a huge difference in the look of a bar if you can find a nice one.

when you say bar backs, what do you mean? Like I can find workers to clean up my bar area, bus dishes, get more ice for free? Ha, just kidding, but for real though what do you mean?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you say bar backs, what do you mean? Like I can find workers to clean up my bar area, bus dishes, get more ice for free? Ha, just kidding, but for real though what do you mean?

Yep, like a butler :wink:

Barback is a bartender.

Bar back is the shelving along the wall behind the bar, where the liquor sits. Usually has a mirror, but can be as elaborate or simple as you want.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREJjByI_ua4HG6V2fbYKfjS_gQGvTOge-GYdRxM9LWkSLwn8UP2g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1uAbdbmEl6dQ_VRNoOsbR3j5GofWS1BylkQ72EEB2ghMYWxFf_A

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe-ydxt3mY-pf9RNsGRoFOfQ99RXi2HtJoFBoMZisCV35ewkE3

The bottom two are somewhat extreme examples, but it is what google gave me. But the idea is the same.

Maybe this is what you were planning with the cabinets and counter, but I envisioned that as your front, but I could be seeing it wrong in my mind.

Edited by corysold

Yep, like a butler :wink:

Barback is a bartender.

Bar back is the shelving along the wall behind the bar, where the liquor sits. Usually has a mirror, but can be as elaborate or simple as you want.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREJjByI_ua4HG6V2fbYKfjS_gQGvTOge-GYdRxM9LWkSLwn8UP2g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1uAbdbmEl6dQ_VRNoOsbR3j5GofWS1BylkQ72EEB2ghMYWxFf_A

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe-ydxt3mY-pf9RNsGRoFOfQ99RXi2HtJoFBoMZisCV35ewkE3

The bottom two are somewhat extreme examples, but it is what google gave me. But the idea is the same.

Maybe this is what you were planning with the cabinets and counter, but I envisioned that as your front, but I could be seeing it wrong in my mind.

Love it. Thanks Cory.

We bought our place two years ago and have had to do all the little things. Replace appliances, had to swap out the faucet, disposal (That was gross).

Next on my list is to replace the bathtub in the kids' bathroom with something bigger. The issue is that the opening is only 54", so the tub is really short and also shallow. The ends of the tub butt up against an exterior wall and an interior hallway, I thought about moving the wall out in the hallway (The hallway is really wide) to accommodate another six inches of tub, but I am thinking of just trying to get a deep soak tub instead. We also have a shower in the master bath I am thinking of converting to a bath. There is a corner wall that the shower sides up against, as does the vanity forming an L, it seems like the area in the wall there is just dead space but it could be ducting as well. If it is ducting I have to figure out how to move it and reclaim that space. I read a bit about venting the ducting out in the kickplate of the vanity, so that is a possible option.

That aside I need to put some cabinets up in the garage. I would like to do the kitchen cabinets / countertops but I do not have the funds for that. I am not a stellar DIY person, but I have the good fortune of many favors to contractors and the like who can help me out with the things that are over my head.

Our HOA is redoing all of the copper in our places with PEX, as we have high chloramine content and a ton of pinhole slab leaks. I am thinking of putting a softener in also, as our hard water is ruining our fixtures and leaves the sinks super funky with black mineral deposits on the caulking. Looks gross.

IMG_20121109_094015.thumb.jpg.57e25673fb835576eb8bb1dc6b6c1cb4.jpg A bay window slash very small breakfast nook.

IMG_20121212_145134.thumb.jpg.2524e5c2c6907cd349bbf88c8ee28e70.jpg Scoring some brownie points by doing this backsplash for my assistant Chief.

IMG_20130409_133058.thumb.jpg.883144e9263c53d670d74c864c894a52.jpg And some extra brownie points scored for doing my Chief's shower and bathroom.

IMG_20130416_153238.jpg.77e576a69bae95abb23f39a49d9858a8.jpg

My other job is being a carpenter and here is a few of the small jobs that I have done. The last photo is a picture of the front porch that I built on the front of my house.

Edited by J.P.

I am ashamed to say that I am not very handy. I mean, sure I can change out a sink faucet, a garbage disposal, sprinkler heads, and assemble the bike.. etc... but when it comes to anything more involved, I hire someone. My pops didn't really teach us boys that kind of stuff. He was MD and he always hired someone. Wished I had learned how to build stuff.

IMG_20130516_114848.thumb.jpg.733a794ea7e03c7e9e2df3810a357a17.jpg A window I had made for my mother for mothers day. I did the hard part and hung the window :thumb:

IMG_20130624_124253.thumb.jpg.db378f7e7612b0fd68292b574f60ed7b.jpg And this is the one I had made for my wife.

I am hoping to build a new mini barn with a playhouse attached to it somewhere soon. I will try to remember to post some pics of the mini barn I currently have on my property now and the new one I build.

[ATTACH]838[/ATTACH] A window I had made for my mother for mothers day. I did the hard part and hung the window :thumb:

[ATTACH]839[/ATTACH] And this is the one I had made for my wife.

I am hoping to build a new mini barn with a playhouse attached to it somewhere soon. I will try to remember to post some pics of the mini barn I currently have on my property now and the new one I build.

Thanks for rubbing my nose in it..... lol

Very nice work JP. A few friends and family members of mine helped me build my shop a few years back. I don't have any progression photos, but below is the final product. It is 24 wide and 30 deep. We even did the concrete work ourselves. Its probably the biggest project that I have done on my own/friends.

[/img]

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/nickman54/IMG_1257_zpsfa27dd08.jpg' alt='IMG_1257_zpsfa27dd08.jpg'>

Again sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

Awesome stuff nickman!! That would be a dream for me right now! I build a lot of garages for other people but all I can afford is a mini barn for myself lol.

I built that before I had kiddos, now it would be a no go, lol. I over built on it. I used 4x6 posts and used residential trusses instead of pole barn trusses. If you went with the el cheapo kit for the same size you could probably build it for 8-9k. I wanted 2'eves and more lumber in the structure. All in all I ended up around 12k for the whole deal. That was with a breaker panel, wiring, lights, and the heater. I painted a 6'x6' ND logo on the floor, but it finally faded out this past year. You can still see the shadow of it when the floor is clean.

ETA

Im not sure I had 12k in that after rethinking, it may have only been 10K. Oh well that money is gone.

Edited by nickman54

I built that before I had kiddos, now it would be a no go, lol. I over built on it. I used 4x6 posts and used residential trusses instead of pole barn trusses. If you went with the el cheapo kit for the same size you could probably build it for 8-9k. I wanted 2'eves and more lumber in the structure. All in all I ended up around 12k for the whole deal. That was with a breaker panel, wiring, lights, and the heater. I painted a 6'x6' ND logo on the floor, but it finally faded out this past year. You can still see the shadow of it when the floor is clean.

ETA

Im not sure I had 12k in that after rethinking, it may have only been 10K. Oh well that money is gone.

Nice! Yeah I have two kids and a wife in school getting her RN. We just have to wait and hope for the future.

Nice! Yeah I have two kids and a wife in school getting her RN. We just have to wait and hope for the future.

My wife is an RN. Once she is done, you will have plenty of extra cash to make it happen. Just take this advice to heart. If you think 24x30 is big enough, make it 30x36. I wish I would have, lol.

My wife is an RN. Once she is done, you will have plenty of extra cash to make it happen. Just take this advice to heart. If you think 24x30 is big enough, make it 30x36. I wish I would have, lol.

I hear you there! Most people pick a 24X24 on the garages I build and later tell me their only complaint is that they wished they would have went bigger. My other problem is that I don't live on a big lot so I will have to just go as big as I can and will still probably have to get an easement.

Same with mine - she makes almost double what I make :)

Well, my dad wasn't very handy, so I didn't learn much growing up about how to do things. However, six years in the United States Navy's Nuclear Power Program, taught me that I can do anything if I have a guide or manual. :)

Things I have done around the house over the years:

Installed a dishwasher

Installed a hot water heater

Built a shed

Built a 1967 Ironhead chopper essentially from scratch

Built a 15 foot shuffleboard table on the spot in my basement. (its too big to take out of the room, lol)

last week I hung wallpaper for the first time and I am happy with the results.

At this very moment I am removing linoleum flooring in the kitchen (but somebody else is putting in the new stuff, ha ha)

Some pics.......

From this

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/wagoneer12/1969%20XL%20project/PictureorVideo002.jpg

to this (I did it all, welding, painting, assembly, except for engine internals)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/wagoneer12/1967%20XLH%20stage%205%20chopper/galleryshot.jpg

finally the wallpaper job. The house is a 1935 Craftsman, so we are going with period correct wallpaper and flooring. :)

wallpaper

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/wagoneer12/wallpaper_zpsc77738fd.jpg

Of course I do brakes, alternators, thermostats, remove stuck dvd's, repair pc's, laptops, Xbox's, do some plumbing and electrical work, rewired a speedboat, ha, ha.

Edited by MantyIrish