Heroin Epidemic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel absolutely no sadness for a person who dies of a drug overdose. Heath Ledger? **** him. Brittney Murphy? Good Riddance. That guy from Glee? Who cares? The moment you start doing heroine or meth, you're pretty much dead anyway. The only reason you would start a drug like that is because you've given up on life anyway. No one with anything to live for would do a drug, that in most cases, you don't come back from.

I feel absolutely no sadness for a person who dies of a drug overdose. Heath Ledger? **** him. Brittney Murphy? Good Riddance. That guy from Glee? Who cares? The moment you start doing heroine or meth, you're pretty much dead anyway. The only reason you would start a drug like that is because you've given up on life anyway. No one with anything to live for would do a drug, that in most cases, you don't come back from.

No doubt on this... The industry does s*** like dim the lights on broadway to honor him... they should be ashamed. They should have an industry standard that as soon as you die of an OD your name will be erased from the film industry... they really romanticize addiction

Too bad about Philip Seymour Hoffman...great actor. Was just watching a show with drug experts explaining that heroin addiction is primarily a white problem mostly due to cost...not like it was back in the 70s with African American / Hispanic communities. It starts with perscription pills but that can run $4-500/day just to keep up. So people then flip to heroin which is 1/5 the cost and then there's no turning back after that.

I don't feel sorry at all for people that OD on drugs...but when the gateway drug is scrip pills I can see an exception. These need to be limited as much as possible...and not given out with every minor surgery you get these days...anywhere from wisdom teeth to an ingrown toenail. I hear its so easy to get hooked so I've always refused when i've had my surgeries. Toughen up...deal with the pain...and stay clean!

But when you ask if there's an epidemic...do you really care? I don't.

I do care... that's why I started the post. I think it is very interesting to see how the landscapes and attitudes of society change throughout time.

Obie, you need to educate yourself instead of buying into these conspiracy theories.

"Heroin production in Afghanistan increased 40 times since NATO began its ‘War on Terror’ in 2001, the head of Russia’s Federal Drug Control Service stated, adding that more than 1million people have died from Afghan heroin since then."

Do you know why? I do. It's because the Taliban funds its operations solely off the cultivation and sale of opium poppy. Doesn't it make sense to you that when the Taliban needs to raise millions to finance its war against the invasion that they turn to the only viable and profitable export their country has?

“Any impartial observer must admit the sad fact that the international community has failed to curb heroin production in Afghanistan since the start of NATO’s operation.”

The coalition mission in Afghanistan has never had anything to do with eradicating opium trade. So to assert that the NATO forces have "failed" to curb production is silly. With thousands of acres of poppy fields in the most austere and remote locations in Afghanistan, it is foolish for anyone to think that the U.S. would risk personnel and spend money seeking them out.

We are there for several reasons but opium isn't one of them.

Obie, you need to educate yourself instead of buying into these conspiracy theories.

"Heroin production in Afghanistan increased 40 times since NATO began its ‘War on Terror’ in 2001, the head of Russia’s Federal Drug Control Service stated, adding that more than 1million people have died from Afghan heroin since then."

Do you know why? I do. It's because the Taliban funds its operations solely off the cultivation and sale of opium poppy. Doesn't it make sense to you that when the Taliban needs to raise millions to finance its war against the invasion that they turn to the only viable and profitable export their country has?

“Any impartial observer must admit the sad fact that the international community has failed to curb heroin production in Afghanistan since the start of NATO’s operation.”

The coalition mission in Afghanistan has never had anything to do with eradicating opium trade. So to assert that the NATO forces have "failed" to curb production is silly. With thousands of acres of poppy fields in the most austere and remote locations in Afghanistan, it is foolish for anyone to think that the U.S. would risk personnel and spend money seeking them out.

We faked the moon landing. Introduced AIDS to kill the gays. Developed Crack to keep the black man down. 9/11 was an inside job. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. People believe these conspiracies to feel like the "enlightened" minority. It's really just an ego circle jerk for people to feel like they are part of something.

We faked the moon landing. Introduced AIDS to kill the gays. Developed Crack to keep the black man down. 9/11 was an inside job. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. People believe these conspiracies to feel like the "enlightened" minority. It's really just an ego circle jerk for people to feel like they are part of something.

Lol, if the CIA was interested in buying/importing opium, they better come ready to outbid the Chinese, Russians, and Iranians.

One of my best friends used to be an addict. He said it started off with snorting roxys but had to switch because it sometimes cost him $200 a day to get high. Luckily hes clean now but its definitely a major problem in high schools. I went to a private catholic school in south bend and the amount of kids abusing pills when I graduated in 2010 would be surprising to most people.

Heroin epidemic? Haven't seen much of it here. Meth is much more prevalent. Pick your poison I guess.

Doesn't bother me. Helps to thin the gene pool which we need a lot more of!!

Meth is very common around here also, I don't want to downplay that sh*t either. The main point is that heroin use is spiraling out of control especially given the number of OD deaths that are taken into consideration.

Meth may kill you from the inside out over a period of time, but I honestly can't recall someone ODing on meth. Usually they are up for days at a time going all jitter-buggy, until they finally stop their binge.

Piratey...agree with everything you wrote. Spot on.

Bear with me here...I'm 41 years old. Grew up in Philly (in the city not burbs). I knew drugs were around but never saw them. I was happy just drinking. I go to college and see no hard core drugs (a little weed but nothing crazy) at first.

I begin seeing coke and pills used with guys who are 3 and 4 years older than me. Again my age group just drank and for a couple years I saw no drugs.

As I was graduating many years later (lol) I began seeing blatant, out in the open drug use by the Freshmen. It shocked me because they all said its what they did in high school. Many of that group had drug issues in the real world later too.

As I began to talk about this "gap" in drug use I remembered hearing the whole "Just Say No" campaign by Nancy Reagan. Those years, 1980-1988 I was ages 8 to 16; prime molding years.

I know it sounds silly but I always thought the reason of having this gap in drug use due to this campaign when kids were most likely to be shaped...just my own crazy theory.

Piratey...agree with everything you wrote. Spot on.

Bear with me here...I'm 41 years old. Grew up in Philly (in the city not burbs). I knew drugs were around but never saw them. I was happy just drinking. I go to college and see no hard core drugs (a little weed but nothing crazy) at first.

I begin seeing coke and pills used with guys who are 3 and 4 years older than me. Again my age group just drank and for a couple years I saw no drugs.

As I was graduating many years later (lol) I began seeing blatant, out in the open drug use by the Freshmen. It shocked me because they all said its what they did in high school. Many of that group had drug issues in the real world later too.

As I began to talk about this "gap" in drug use I remembered hearing the whole "Just Say No" campaign by Nancy Reagan. Those years, 1980-1988 I was ages 8 to 16; prime molding years.

I know it sounds silly but I always thought the reason of having this gap in drug use due to this campaign when kids were most likely to be shaped...just my own crazy theory.

I'm 25, and when I was in elementary school, we had DARE classes which harped on the exact same things. I heard the "Just say no!" campaign for years growing up.

The only thing is, we grew up into adults and realized that half of the things we learned were fabricated scare tactics.

So when people learn the pot isn't actually bad (despite the awful things we learned about it growing up), my generation decides to extend that thinking to drugs that really can eff up your life (heroin, meth, etc.) without doing their research.

That's my crazy theory.

Yeah because that's what I said...I don't feel enlightened I just try to pay attention and question things. What is wrong with that?

If opium production is funding the Taliban wouldn't it be a good idea to destroy their money source? I never thought twice about it until my brother, who was a 3rd Battalion 7th Marine went over and when he came home he said it was one of the things that pissed him off the most because they knew thats how they were making their money and that is also where they hid their trip wires and roadside bombs because they came so close to the roads. The CIA trafficked drugs into the US in the past. Is it that unrealistic to think they might be doing it again? I am not saying the reason we are there is to bring heroin into the United States, but with us being there we have a CIA presence and they don't have the greatest track record.

If opium production is funding the Taliban wouldn't it be a good idea to destroy their money source? I never thought twice about it until my brother, who was a 3rd Battalion 7th Marine went over and when he came home he said it was one of the things that pissed him off the most because they knew thats how they were making their money and that is also where they hid their trip wires and roadside bombs because they came so close to the roads. The CIA trafficked drugs into the US in the past. Is it that unrealistic to think they might be doing it again? I am not saying the reason we are there is to bring heroin into the United States, but with us being there we have a CIA presence and they don't have the greatest track record.

Destroy all you want. They'll plant more and the overwhelming majority of it is in remote tribal areas where we don't have easy access. That's like asking the Iowa national guard to eradicate all the corn fields in the Midwest. It's more productive to eliminate their leadership and hope that they disband or flee to Pakistan...

Destroy all you want. They'll plant more and the overwhelming majority of it is in remote tribal areas where we don't have easy access. That's like asking the Iowa national guard to eradicate all the corn fields in the Midwest. It's more productive to eliminate their leadership and hope that they disband or flee to Pakistan...

We only can hope, that way our boys can come home. What do you think is the cause to the heroin epidemic?

We only can hope, that way our boys can come home. What do you think is the cause to the heroin epidemic?

People in the U.S. spending more of their money on substances to medicate themselves. People in third world countries gladly providing products that we spend billions of dollars on.

People in the U.S. spending more of their money on substances to medicate themselves. People in third world countries gladly providing products that we spend billions of dollars on.

I can see that, I think prescription drugs play a huge part too. Agree on the medicate part, hell we are programmed to be medicated at a very young age. I know I won't change your mind but here is an article to check out :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/world/asia/28intel.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Very much enjoying the discussion by the way, I enjoy hearing the other side of things.