Any college wrestling fans out there?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, Loras in the mid nineties. Good school in a great wrestling conference.

I went to Simpson from 87-91. I think we played you guys a few times while I was there. If I remember the stadium is pretty cool, kind of dug into the ground?

The Iowa conference was a great wrestling conference. I was never a wrestler but graduated with Travis Young. He actually won the NC at his weight while he was at Simpson. He is now the head wrestling coach at Valley H.S.

I went to Simpson from 87-91. I think we played you guys a few times while I was there. If I remember the stadium is pretty cool, kind of dug into the ground?

The Iowa conference was a great wrestling conference. I was never a wrestler but graduated with Travis Young. He actually won the NC at his weight while he was at Simpson. He is now the head wrestling coach at Valley H.S.

The Rock Bowl is/was formed from an old quarry. I always thought the stadium was pretty nice looking with the limestone cliffs on two sides of it. I haven't been up to campus in about 8 years or so, and I know that they have made a ton of changes and added new buildings. This year is my 15 year reunion, so I'm hoping to make it up to Homecoming. My daughter is getting married in October though too, and Lord knows I hate missing ND games, so maybe I'll get lucky and get to go to it lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/11/sports/wrestling-stopped-at-notre-dame.html

Wrestling Stopped At Notre Dame

AP

Published: April 11, 1992

SIGN IN TO E-MAIL

PRINT

Notre Dame has decided to drop wrestling as a varsity sport, the university's athletic director, Dick Rosenthal, said today.

"Though our program has enjoyed some success at the national level over the last eight years, that has not translated into the fan interest we might have hoped for," Rosenthal said.

Notre Dame, which had competed in varsity wrestling for 37 years, will honor its 11 wrestling scholarships to current recipients.

It was a club sport for a while in the '70's and early '80's. In fact, I think one of the Golics, the cool one, was a NC as a heavyweight while ND had a wrestling "club."

They brought in Coach McCann in '84, made it a varsity sport again, and he quickly transformed the program into a top 20 power. (I was on the team in '84 and '85, but just barely -- that's me with all that hair in the center of my avatar.) The wrestling program also, reportedly, received a sizable donation.

Then they dropped it.

Now the Olympics.`

:machinegun:

Screw it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/11/sports/wrestling-stopped-at-notre-dame.html

It was a club sport for a while in the '70's and early '80's. In fact, I think one of the Golics, the cool one, was a NC as a heavyweight while ND had a wrestling "club."

They brought in Coach McCann in '84, made it a varsity sport again, and he quickly transformed the program into a top 20 power. (I was on the team in '84 and '85, but just barely -- that's me with all that hair in the center of my avatar.) The wrestling program also, reportedly, received a sizable donation.

Then they dropped it.

Now the Olympics.`

:machinegun:

Screw it.

2Lakes, obviously you know more about ND's wrestling program than I do. My question is would they ever bring it back even with a large endowment, basically paying for the team, and added the necessary Title IX women's spots somewhere?

It seems to me even if everything works out financially and with Title IX many schools just want to kick wrestling to the curb just because, see Oregon, Arizona St, etc. I just don't get why some schools are opposed to the sport even if they are relieved of the financial burden by private endowments etc.

2Lakes, obviously you know more about ND's wrestling program than I do. My question is would they ever bring it back even with a large endowment, basically paying for the team, and added the necessary Title IX women's spots somewhere?

It seems to me even if everything works out financially and with Title IX many schools just want to kick wrestling to the curb just because, see Oregon, Arizona St, etc. I just don't get why some schools are opposed to the sport even if they are relieved of the financial burden by private endowments etc.

I do not know either. Financial consideration? The AD can't think of another women's sport? They would rather not give a 110 guy a sport that recognizes strength on a pound for pound basis? No excuses.

I do not know either. Financial consideration? The AD can't think of another women's sport? They would rather not give a 110 guy a sport that recognizes strength on a pound for pound basis? No excuses.

I agree 2Lakes, wrestling is a sport that doesn't discriminate because of size or physical ability/disability. Just you against the other person on the mat, no excuses.