Any college wrestling fans out there?

Two Lakes? I figured you might follow college wrestling. Anyone else and who do you follow since ND no longer has a team? I wrestled a little in high school, but no where near good enough for college, but I do enjoy watching it. I like to follow Minnesota. For those in the big ten area, the big ten network has a lot of matches on.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow Iowa, I wrestled a little in H.S. but like you said, nowhere good enough for the next level. My kids both wrestle and are not sure about how far they will go with it. I think it is generally a sport they use to stay in shape after football and into basketball season. My youngest son (7th grade) had only one loss this season in 46 matches. The older son had about 10-15 losses in 70 matches this season in 8th grade. He is in a very tough weight bracket. Of course we are in a wrestling hotbed here in Iowa.

We like to watch the Midlands, of course the Hawks and then the national championships. We usually make it to Iowa City about 2 times a year for dual meets.

It is not our priority but it has been a great sport to help the kids with confidence. You are out there man on man. No one to blame but yourself if you lose.

I missed the match this weekend Iowa vs Minn. I heard Iowa won by 1 point. That must have beed a fun one to watch. It is nice to hear your sons are wrestling especially at their age. It seems like in a lot of areas there are no programs for kids to get exposed to wrestling. It sounds like your boys may have a future if they choose to pursue it.

Goose,

I have mentioned in the "poster bio" thread that Dan Gable lived in our basement when he attended Iowa State. We lived in Ames for a period of time while I was a young'en. I have some pictures of Gable bouncing me on his knee. My dad actually dated Dan's sister while they were in H.S., pretty bad story behind it all, she was murdered while they were dating. My dad was obviously not the guy who did it, but he left her house a few minutes before it all went down.

I missed the match this weekend Iowa vs Minn. I heard Iowa won by 1 point. That must have beed a fun one to watch. It is nice to hear your sons are wrestling especially at their age. It seems like in a lot of areas there are no programs for kids to get exposed to wrestling. It sounds like your boys may have a future if they choose to pursue it.

As you are aware, in the midwest, wrestling is a way of life for some of these kids. If you have any ideas of getting to the next level, it has to almost take over your life and my kids are not that interested. You can definitely see the differences in the kids that plan on moving forward and the ones that their dads force them to do it. Mine are more focused on baseball, football and basketball.

I follow Oklahoma State, attended there and wrestled for my fraternity. Geoff Baum was one of our coaches and he was a national champion at 177 and 190. Oklahoma State has won over 30 national titles. Watched them smoke OU a couple weeks ago. I wasn't good enough to wrestle in college but I did pin a state champion from McGuinnes high school.

Big wrestling fan here, or at least I used to have time to be one. Huge Hawkeye fan as well. I wrestled DIII in the mid 90's. Grew up in a small town that produced some pretty good wrestlers in its history, Lisbon, IA. Grew up rooting for Royce Alger when he was in HS, used to work chores for Ryan Morningstar's family, and I used to help HS practices when Ryan Fuller(fmr Iowa HWT who had to stop due to health problems about 8-10 years ago).

I watched the replay of the Iowa/Minny match, or at least the second half of it. IMO Evans was screwed in his match and had a takedown taken away from him. Oh well more motivation upcoming for Big 10's and Nat'ls.

My boy has been involved for a few years now, he's 8. He hasn't done anything as far as tourney's yet. Boy doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body as Grandpa says lol. He's having fun though and Lord knows I don't want to push the sh*t out of him and turn him off of the sport. I've seen that happen way too many times, and that pretty much helped to kill the success of Lisbon's program after my class graduated school which coincidentally was the last time we finished top 2 in the State Tourney.

Another tidbit that I'm sad to admit to is that I lost in the State Finals to Matt Hoover, who ended up winning The Biggest Loser 2nd season I think. Never watched the show and someone had to tell me about it. They used brief footage of the end of the match for his profile on the show I guess. Talk about waste of talent, ride to Iowa, starts partying and getting fat, ignores school, and ends up dropping out.

I follow Oklahoma State, attended there and wrestled for my fraternity. Geoff Baum was one of our coaches and he was a national champion at 177 and 190. Oklahoma State has won over 30 national titles. Watched them smoke OU a couple weeks ago. I wasn't good enough to wrestle in college but I did pin a state champion from McGuinnes high school.

Just when I thought you were an all around great guy you go and do this, OSU fan boooooooo! ;)

I had an opportunity to meet and talk with quite a bit the other great Dan in wrestling my senior year of college, Dan Hodge. What a wonderful human being and one hell of a wrestler and ambassador for the sport, and fellow Oklahoman from your neck of the woods. BTW I didn't know it during my discussions with him, but was later told that he wrestled professionally years ago and still had ties to the WWF as a talent scout etc. I couldn't figure out why the subject of pro wrestling crept into our conversations a couple of times while talking to him. Turns out he was impressed by me in some capacity(HWT in college). He kept asking about my future plans and I told him that I was definitely going to be a cop and make a difference in the world(sic).

As you are aware, in the midwest, wrestling is a way of life for some of these kids. If you have any ideas of getting to the next level, it has to almost take over your life and my kids are not that interested. You can definitely see the differences in the kids that plan on moving forward and the ones that their dads force them to do it. Mine are more focused on baseball, football and basketball.

You aren't kidding about the way of life aspect. I was really into wrestling, but I also loved football. Thankfully DIII is a lot more forgiving to do both and I was blessed to do so. I'm trying to take a page from my dad and not push my son like many other parents I've seen for wrestling.

Wow, that's very interesting about you and your families ties to Gable. He is a great guy and will always make time to talk wrestling with anyone out there. I've met and talked to him a number of times in my lifetime, and he's remembered me too!

He's like the Jordan of wrestling, and I guess I always took him for granted so to speak seeing him so often etc. I had a lot of teammates from college who weren't necessarily blessed with coming from a very successful HS program that produced college wrestlers and many were from the Chicago area also. As a team we got to see Gable at a speaking engagement in Dubuque my senior year of college, Dan's first "retired" in the fall '97. Many of the guys on the team were just awestruck of Gable and didn't know what to do. I told them he's not going to headlock them nor is he going to blow them off. One by one they all went up to talk to him a bit and came away even more impressed by Gable and how he goes out of the way to talk to fans and others about wrestling, or even fishing which I know he's a HUGE fan of as well.

Big wrestling fan here, or at least I used to have time to be one. Huge Hawkeye fan as well. I wrestled DIII in the mid 90's. Grew up in a small town that produced some pretty good wrestlers in its history, Lisbon, IA. Grew up rooting for Royce Alger when he was in HS, used to work chores for Ryan Morningstar's family, and I used to help HS practices when Ryan Fuller(fmr Iowa HWT who had to stop due to health problems about 8-10 years ago).

I watched the replay of the Iowa/Minny match, or at least the second half of it. IMO Evans was screwed in his match and had a takedown taken away from him. Oh well more motivation upcoming for Big 10's and Nat'ls.

My boy has been involved for a few years now, he's 8. He hasn't done anything as far as tourney's yet. Boy doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body as Grandpa says lol. He's having fun though and Lord knows I don't want to push the sh*t out of him and turn him off of the sport. I've seen that happen way too many times, and that pretty much helped to kill the success of Lisbon's program after my class graduated school which coincidentally was the last time we finished top 2 in the State Tourney.

Another tidbit that I'm sad to admit to is that I lost in the State Finals to Matt Hoover, who ended up winning The Biggest Loser 2nd season I think. Never watched the show and someone had to tell me about it. They used brief footage of the end of the match for his profile on the show I guess. Talk about waste of talent, ride to Iowa, starts partying and getting fat, ignores school, and ends up dropping out.[/quote

Did you ever wrestle vs olivet college out of michigan. In the 70's thru the early 90's they had a great progam with an outstanding coach...Jare Klien.

Jesse,

My oldest son was actually the better wrestler of the 2, you wouldn't know it by his record this year, but I pushed him far too hard at first. I unfortunately broke him before he really got going. My fault completely.

When he entered 2nd or 3rd grade he started wrestling at a club level in West Des Moines. He was wrestling under the Valley youth program. Immediatley one of the coaches asked me if we were interested in taking it to the next level. We started competing in youth tourneys and the 1st place trophies rolled in. He practiced 4-5 days a week and then tourneys of Sat and Sun. When he reached 5th grade the wrestling coach asked him to wrestle for the Valley Elite team that traveled, he was wrestling with a team of Freshman in H.S. as a 5th grader. We traveled to team dual meets and he wrestled as the team 50 pounder. He won most of his matches even at this level. At 6th grade, he told me he was quitting, the coaches were floored as they were expecting huge things from him but practice was almost year round and he wanted to do other things.

We changed school districts and are now in Urbandale, the coach finally talked him into wrestling this year. He lost 10-15 matches out of 70. He was coming back into it from a 2 year leave and did really well but will never be serious about it again. I let it happen and kick myself every wrestling season as he could have probably written his own ticket with wrestling but I let him get way in over his head, way too soon.

Just when I thought you were an all around great guy you go and do this, OSU fan boooooooo! ;)

I had an opportunity to meet and talk with quite a bit the other great Dan in wrestling my senior year of college, Dan Hodge. What a wonderful human being and one hell of a wrestler and ambassador for the sport, and fellow Oklahoman from your neck of the woods. BTW I didn't know it during my discussions with him, but was later told that he wrestled professionally years ago and still had ties to the WWF as a talent scout etc. I couldn't figure out why the subject of pro wrestling crept into our conversations a couple of times while talking to him. Turns out he was impressed by me in some capacity(HWT in college). He kept asking about my future plans and I told him that I was definitely going to be a cop and make a difference in the world(sic).

Good Lord!! Danny Hodge goes way way back. I did watch him wrestle professionally and it wasn't the joke it is today. Quite an athlete from Oklahoma.

Oklahoma State is at the very top of the pecking order when it comes to wrestling. I knew at least 4 national champions and a runner up. My fraternity brother, Ray Murphy twice finished as a runner up and he was our third baseman while I played shortstop. He was paralyzed from the neck down in a wrestling accident and died a couple years ago. Awesome human being and he handled his situation with a lot of courage and was an inspiration to many people.

Did you ever wrestle vs olivet college out of michigan. In the 70's thru the early 90's they had a great progam with an outstanding coach...Jare Klien.

No I don't believe so. I think we were at Nat'l Duals with Olivet a couple years when they were held in Pennsylvania, but I don't recall wrestling their team.