Big bust at an off campus party last night

1) The university has cracked down on drinking and pushed it off campus because of liability issues. Every kid does it but it just takes 1 drinking death and a policy of "don't ask....don't tell" to get ND sued big time.

2) The police are doing their job. Yes, excise sucks. Yes, cops should let it slide. But they have to enforce the law and it all comes down to liability. What if they let these kids go and one hops into a car and kills someone while under the influence? It all comes back to the cops. It's a small charge resulting in a fine and community service. I got caught underage off campus at ND and paid the fine and "worked" my service hours at the ND Fire Dept washing trucks. It was actually pretty fun hanging out with the FD guys.

3) The best approach is for the University to "act" like they're following the law. Let the kids go to court, pay their $300 fine or whatever it is and then say that we will make the kids pay big time internally. Then wait a while and let it all blow over. Have the coaches make the kids run a couple extra windsprints or show up for some EARLY conditioning.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but why should we follow the law if we have developed our own morals? i personally drink underage because I disagree with the drinking age of 21. Once I turned 18 in my opinion the government shouldnt have a say in what I want to put into my own body. The change in age happened during Regan's presidency and I personally was not born then and I think its ridiculous that I have to follow a law that was made before my birth. I didn't get a say in it, I didn't get to vote on anything. If we followed the laws we dont agree with then America would be poop. Why are people always advocating for changing laws? because they disagree with the current laws and feel they could be better written or changed for the better. That's what America is about. So yes if i get caught drinking underage, and I did two years ago(had to do about 60 hours of community service just to walk at my high school graduation, not too mention lawyer fees), then I will face the punishment but it wont change my attitude towards the law and I will continue to drink underage.

on another note, why the hell do they take underage drinkers into jail? that is ridiculous, is that an INdiana thing? Cause here in PA they just send you home with a ticket. Making kids stay overnight in a jail seems way over the top

America would be poop if we had to follow the laws we don't agree with??? I'm pretty sure that only criminals would agree with that. I do think that if your old enough to go kill the taliban that you should be able to purchase a beer, maybe go back to the watered down beer that they used to serve 18 year olds.

America would be poop if we had to follow the laws we don't agree with??? I'm pretty sure that only criminals would agree with that. I do think that if your old enough to go kill the taliban that you should be able to purchase a beer, maybe go back to the watered down beer that they used to serve 18 year olds.

obviously im not refferring to murder and stuff like that but if people didnt advocate to change laws that don't work then the political system is irrelevant

This is economics, get rich kids to pay fines for drinking underage. It is like Drunk Driving, there are ways to completely eliminate it like other countries have done, but that would slow down business. And business from drunk driving is probably the number 1 source of income from your local police department, business is good.

Rounding up 43 kids and slapping them with $500 dollar fines or whatever is the only reason this happened.

You go down to get booked, and when you are sober enough to be released, they let you go.

still unnecessary, because the legal limit for kids under 21 in most states is .02 or .00, a kid who has had three beers in them is more than capable to walk back to their dorm room.

By what right do they enter and arrest? Don't they need a search warrant, or some other legitimate authority to enter?

Having had a few parties in my day there, they do not need a warrent to enter. It is the same thing if they came to your house during the afternoon. If you invite them to come in, they can come in. And when they come in, if they see a "crime" going on - and the law is that you have to be 21 to drink - they can act on it.

The way it plays out is they knock on the door and say "this is the police". I've also see it where they "demand" to to come in. Some unassuming person at the party who usually has had a few drinks opens the door and then they are in and starting to arrest people.

They always have that "someone opening the door" to fall back on. What's shady is when they're at the door and don't ask to be invited but throw their influence around on kids who don't know the law.

I've even been at parties when no one opens the front door and everyone takes off out the back. In that case, the police have no right to barge in, but you just better hope they don't catch you in the backyard!

Speedster or someone else on here can probably better articulate my summary of how it works, but that is how it went down when I was there.

How about calling or knocking on door first and asking them to keep it down or disperse.

I didn't look to see where this house was and I don't know who the neighbors are who called the police, but I did encounter a LOT of people around there in my day who did not like the students. Many of these people I ran into when I was there would LOVE to have a reason to get kids arrested and really didn't like having us around in their community to begin with.

Guest shamrockgerry
this really burns my butt still. Nd students don't drink and drive, they walk from party to party, yet south bend/indiana insist on spending much needed city resources busting up college parties. Now these kids arrested and cited for having a few beers. I wonder how many assualts and robberies during those hours that 20+ south bend officers were being used to write a 19 year old a ticket for having a beer.
its hard to try and get tru college and all that gos with it....leting ones hair down is ok for a young guy or gal....but police .....jesus where the students planing a downtown riot,,,,,i dont think so....sound s a bit over the top if i say so.......try dublin on saturday nite in some places where dogs dont go.....tell mclovin i said hi.....:-D

Guest knuterockneforever

Put down the beer and stay focused on football, simple as that. I know the majority of us are all guilty of underage drinking, I know I am but come on! When you're going to Notre Dame and playing football its time to grow up and focus on the major opportunities, not being stupid and messing up your future. Hopefully these guys only risk getting suspended from a few practices or something. I believe in 2nd chances but these guys know better than to do this in the first place

Voting age is 18--- UNDERAGE BOYS ARE DYING FELLA's IN AFGHANASTAN PROVIDING THE INDIANA STATE POLICE THE FREEDOM TO HARRASS OTHERS UNDER 21__--I'm sorry--i don't buy the law is the law argument--this was pure HARRASSMENT---AND IT HASN'TCHANGED IN DECADES GUYS---DRINK AND DRIVE IS A NO_NO--FOR ANY AGE----HAVING A BEER AT A PARTY AT 19 YEARS OLD IS JUSTIFIED CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AGAINSTTHE INTRINSIC BIGOTRY OF THESE ANACHRONISTIC LAWS--IMHO!!

NOTHING WILL COME OF THIS__BECAUSE NOTHING WRONG WAS DONE------for decades the SB police and now the INDIANA EXCISE POLICE (WHICH DIDN'T EVEN EXIST BACK IN THE DAY)---have been trying to exert their authority against the students of ND in a way to PUFF UP THEIR OWN INSECURITIES----WHEN STUDEBAKER CLOSED ITS DOORS OVER A HALF CENTURY AGO ALL THIS PATHETIC LITTLE TOWN HAD WAS ND---WE MAKE THE TOWN--AND THEY RESENT IT---WITH YOUTH_BIGOTED ANACHRONISTIC LAWS _EXERCISED FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS__ THE VILLAINS HERE ARE OBVIOUS TO ME-----

There will be no consequences beyond some early morning run till you puke demands IMHO ALOHAS ALL!!!

Voting age is 18--- UNDERAGE BOYS ARE DYING FELLA's IN AFGHANASTAN PROVIDING THE INDIANA STATE POLICE THE FREEDOM TO HARRASS OTHERS UNDER 21__--I'm sorry--i don't buy the law is the law argument--this was pure HARRASSMENT---AND IT HASN'TCHANGED IN DECADES GUYS---DRINK AND DRIVE IS A NO_NO--FOR ANY AGE----HAVING A BEER AT A PARTY AT 19 YEARS OLD IS JUSTIFIED CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AGAINSTTHE INTRINSIC BIGOTRY OF THESE ANACHRONISTIC LAWS--IMHO!!

NOTHING WILL COME OF THIS__BECAUSE NOTHING WRONG WAS DONE------for decades the SB police and now the INDIANA EXCISE POLICE (WHICH DIDN'T EVEN EXIST BACK IN THE DAY)---have been trying to exert their authority against the students of ND in a way to PUFF UP THEIR OWN INSECURITIES----WHEN STUDEBAKER CLOSED ITS DOORS OVER A HALF CENTURY AGO ALL THIS PATHETIC LITTLE TOWN HAD WAS ND---WE MAKE THE TOWN--AND THEY RESENT IT---WITH YOUTH_BIGOTED ANACHRONISTIC LAWS _EXERCISED FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS__ THE VILLAINS HERE ARE OBVIOUS TO ME-----

There will be no consequences beyond some early morning run till you puke demands IMHO ALOHAS ALL!!!

Hopefully this means that kelly agrees with you

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/christians-blog/2828-kelly-punishment-to-be-internal

so are you saying that these players are putting their lives on the line for their country while playing football and getting a free ride to one of the most prestigious universities in the country? stop it. just stop it.

Let there be no confusion, these are not normal South Bend police officers. Excise police are different. They're basically the Indiana booze patrol, since they only deal with alcohol related issues. It's 2010, but they act as if prohibition never ended. Why? Because they get payed to do an unnecessary job.

The Indiana Excise police were formed at the end of prohibition, to deal with the transition back to legal alcohol. I'm not sure how they operated in the past, but these days their mission is flawed. They are not protecting the public. They are not providing a valuable service. This is something we do not need. They are only trying to keep their own outdated department alive. They want to keep their jobs.

Prohibition ended a long time ago. The excise police are no longer needed. They cruise around the state, going to colleges and events. When they visit a town, their mission is to find a party, and arrest people. It doesn't matter if the party is out of control or not. Do we really need to employ a task force to bust frat parties?

If the state wants to save money and cut spending, the excise police should be disbanded. If not disbanded, they need a new purpose. What they're doing is not helping anyone but themselves.

Sorry for the rant, but this stuff really makes my blood boil :-x

This is their website, what a crock of shiat

http://www.in.gov/atc/isep/

What i am saying gonkers is quite simple---the underage drinking laws are IMO both discriminatory &-hypocritical---this is why they are for the most part UNENFORCED around the country!-----if we allow 18 year old men and women a scope of citizenship so inclusive that they are allowed to fight and die in a volunteer army--that they are allowed to vote for the policies and politicians that define the national interest-----it is a pathetic, foolish romance with puritanism that forbids the nasty brew at 18!

its nice to know that most all the world allows drinking at 18 save INDIA and THE MAJORITY OF THE ISLAMIC WORLD----i think those making these arrests would be RIGHT AT HOME ADMINISTERING ISLAMIC LAW FROM THE MINISTRY OF VICE AND VIRTUE!!--

GIVE ME LIBERTY BOYS___AUTHORITY MISGIUDED AND ABUSED IS THE DANGER__NOT ACCEPTING 18 YEAR OLDS INTO ADULDTHOOD ----IMO IT IS NOT HONEST OR ETHICAL FOR ME TO LIVE MY LIFE ONE WAY AND YET FORBID OTHERS OR SUPPORT LIMITATIONS ON OTHERS TO EXERCISE THE SAME FREEDOM!

ALOHA ALL!!

i shake my head at your inability to accept that fact that people have different opinions than your own

Young one, I've lived twice your life if not more. I can appreciate different opinions. Someday you'll grow up. Some day you'll have kids. Someday you'll want to protect them. We've had several underage drinking deaths in our community in the last few weeks. We've had way too many DUI charges laid (how many drove and weren't caught?) as well. Alcohol routinely leads people to do stupid things. Laws are in place to protect us from stupidity.

Someone has already mentioned Matt James. There's a concrete example why drinking laws are in effect.

Agree to disagree.

Cripes, I can't wait for football season.

It says the party was on Washington street, a notorious party street. I knew buddies that lived in houses there when I was at ND.....I ran from the police more than a few times....sweet memories.

P.s. i love tj's mug shot.