Arron Nagle

Guest ndfan1970

I searched around on the internet and this kid has got me excited and I didn't even see his video yet. Not sure who said it earlier but I agree... the fact that ND is his dream school says so much for our program and he will give that extra effort for that reason. No matter how you slice it, this kid is a great recruit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SirJohn

Sir John Yesterdaysnews42@aol.com

Hey Kevin nice to see you posting. :)

I agree it's like that movie "You had me at Hello" :lol:

Personally if I was hiring 'hitmen' I'd want one from the moment he said this group is for me. Rather then someone sitting back and saying, I'll sell my services to the best offer string it out and so I'll wait and see.

Guest NDLawJAG

I just finished watching a bunch of the videos on Nagel. I like what he does on offense and I like the speed he shows. I think it will help him adapt to the Linebacker position. He is a hard hitter and shows the ability to go after the ball in pass coverage.

That being said, Lemming's rankings might be a little high, but then again it seems like every player out of Chicago is a five star player for Lemming. I think Nagel will see alot of playing time in a couple of years. He and Neal would both seem to add speed and flexibility to the defense.

It's funny. You could dump Donald Trump in the middle of nowhere and he will identify value and act upon it. Charlie has a lot of help in his talent evaluators but the main difference between other coaches and Weis is that Chucky is acting on it. I like the fact that guys are frothing at the mouth to sign with the Irish. It's just a matter of time before we walk in to USC, Michigan and Penn State and just demoralize those teams with a drumming that they will never forget. I live for beating teams so badly that they question their ability. Shake their confidence and then watch them run for the hills. Domination will become a way of life soon. Like Tyson when he was in his prime. We will once again be totally feared. Boowhaaaaaa haaaa haaa haaa!!!!!!!!

March 07. 2006 6:59AM

Nagel finds a fit at Notre Dame

Chicago-area linebacker takes Weis up on his offer.

BOB WIENEKE

Tribune Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, during a phone conversation with Notre Dame recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello, Ron Nagel was asked if his son, Lemont, Ill., linebacker Aaron Nagel, could make an unofficial visit to South Bend so Irish head football coach Charlie Weis could get to know him.

Nagel, however, was told not to expect an offer during the weekend visit.

So after Ron and Aaron Nagel had talked with Weis for close to 40 minutes Saturday, Weis left the room, saying he would be back in a minute.

"He came back," Aaron Nagel recalled Monday via cell phone, "and he said, 'All right Aaron, I think we're going to pull the trigger now.'"

The Chicago-area linebacker later that day pulled the trigger himself, becoming the second player to verbally commit to ND's recruiting class of 2007. Bunn, N.C. defensive end Kerry Neal committed on Feb. 24, the same day he was offered.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Nagel knew as soon as he was offered that he would accept, but before telling Weis, he wanted to discuss it with his mother.

"We drove back as fast as we could," Ron Nagel said.

The tears of joy that Ron Nagel displayed in front of Weis were repeated when Linda Nagel learned of the offer. So Aaron placed a call to Weis.

"He was like, 'What took you so long?'" Aaron Nagel recalled with a laugh.

Notre Dame was the 12th school to offer Nagel. The first came from Northwestern in late January, and since then he's received offers from Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Boston College, Stanford, Indiana, Iowa State, Colorado State and Vanderbilt.

NCAA recruiting rules prohibit college coaches from publicly commenting on a recruit until the player has signed a national letter-of-intent. Signing day is Feb. 7.

Nagel, who played cornerback his first two seasons before switching to strong safety as a junior, was told by Weis that the staff wanted to be certain he could handle the switch to outside linebacker.

Nagel's time of 4.55 seconds in the 40-yard dash no doubt helped in the decision, but so too did his instincts and his hitting ability.

Nagel last season totaled 55 tackles to go along with four interceptions, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Offensively, he ran for 1,305 yards and scored 20 touchdowns.

"He's a real good athlete," said CSTV recruiting analyst Tom Lemming, who rates Nagel as a four-star player who could become a five-star recruit. "He can run. He can hit."

And now he's going to Notre Dame, his dream school.

"I've wanted to go to Notre Dame my whole life," Nagel said. "This is like a dream come true pretty much."Staff writer Bob Wieneke: bwieneke@sbtinfo.com (574) 235-6428

instincts and his hitting ability.

Guest gallup21

Irish dream comes true for Nagel

• Golden Domer: Lemont standout will realize lifelong dream

herald news file photo

Lemont High School junior football player Aaron Nagel will play college football for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame.

Lemont's Aaron Nagel will bring the entire package to Charlie Weis and Notre Dame. He has size, speed and is No. 3 in his class.

By Dick Goss

Sports Editor

The difference is he did not need to beg. Instead, Notre Dame came calling.

The Irish made a football scholarship offer Saturday to Lemont High School junior Aaron Nagel, and it took next to no time — the length of a conversation with his mother — for the Indians' Mr. Everything to give his commitment.

"This has been a lifelong dream," said Nagel, a 6-foot-2, 215-pound running back/safety who also can play linebacker, receiver and just about anywhere else Lemont coach Eric Michaelsen decides to use him. "I've always dreamed of going to school at Notre Dame, for the football program and the academics. It's so exciting now that I actually got an offer. I called Coach (Charlie) Weis back right away."

Nagel has everything to offer a major college program. Not only does he possess good size, he runs the 40 consistently in the high 4.5s or low 4.6s. He has been clocked as fast as 4.52. He has the knack on a football field for making the big play, on either side of the ball.

In a football-rich area such as this, he was a Herald News first-team all-area selection and will be one of the top returning players in the area. He should fit well with Weis' team, which went 9-2 in the regular season before losing to Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

"Aaron is a great player," Michaelsen said, "but he's even a better person. He is No. 3 in his class, his GPA is well over 4. You put that with his size, speed and his good attitude, and you can see why the big schools wanted him."

Notre Dame plans to use Nagel at outside linebacker. He entertained offers from 11 other schools as well and had been planning to make his decision by May. But when Notre Dame called, the recruiting process was history.

Nagel rushed for 1,265 yards, a 7.5 average, and 17 touchdowns last fall in leading Lemont to a 10-2 record and a march to the Class 5A state quarterfinals, where the Indians fell to Rock Island Alleman 24-21. He also caught 13 passes for 185 yards, a 14.2 average. He made 48 tackles from his safety position, two for loss, forced a fumble, had a sack and intercepted four passes, one that he returned for a touchdown. He scored 20 touchdowns in all.

"I'm just a high school guy, but I think Aaron also could be a good running back, a good receiver, a good defensive back in college," Michaelsen said. "But he's a very physical player, and with additional size he can grow into the outside linebacker spot as he matures. I'm thinking that's not a bad place for him."

Of course, in his senior season at Lemont, it will be more of whatever helps the team.

"We're planning to use him in a lot of different ways next year, too," Michaelsen said. "We'll have to see where he helps us out. The nice thing about him he's been willing since he was a freshman to played wherever we needed him. He started out as a cornerback, then went to free safety, then strong safety, then we gave him the ball more."

"I've really only been a running back for one year, and I enjoy carrying the ball," said Nagel, who hopes to add about 10 pounds for next season. "I hope I can improve in that area and do as well as I can for the team."

With Nagel committing to Notre Dame, that perhaps can serve as a boost for other current and future Lemont football players.

"I think this is exciting for our program," Michaelsen said. "It will show people they can come to Lemont, get a great education and get noticed. I hope that's the message that goes out to people: Come to Lemont and get it all."

"We have a lot of great guys on our team who have not been getting a lot of great looks (from colleges)," Nagel said. "I hope this helps get them some publicity and helps bring people to our town to look at some players."

In reference to G's story, I'd be like Nagel's father. If I was in the office with coach Weis and my son and the coach offered my boy I would probably just break down in tears. I couldn't imagine how proud the elder Nagel had to feel. That just had to be one of the moments that he will NEVER forget. I envy him for being able to go through that, let alone the envy I have for his son. But I bet any money that it was an even greater moment for the father than the son.

Guest SirJohn

Sir John Yesterdaysnews42@aol.com

Well put broker. I bet his Dad felt that way. :) Man...my son (if I had one) Weis and an offer to Notre Dame. THUD! :) If one notices Coach is choosing guys with a genuine passion for Notre Dame. Sort of if you don't have that no matter what athletic ability go elsewhere??? That's how he chose most of his coaches.

"Nails" | by Pat

The stealth recruiting continued with ND's second verbal commitment in the form of Illinois running back/safety/linebacker Aaron Nagel (#20, right). Nagel came to Notre Dame as part of a small invite-only Junior Day and picked up an unexpected scholarship offer. And just like Kerry Neal, Nagel jumped on the chance to join the Fighting Irish.

"My dream school is Notre Dame,'' he said. "I always wanted to go there. I always liked their program. I always liked their academics and tradition."

As a star for Lemont High School, the 6'2" 215-pound Nagel plays safety and running back. As his team's main ground threat, Nagel piled up 1265 yards rushing and 17 TD's on 168 carries. Despite the impressive rushing totals though, it sounds like his future position with the Irish might lie at linebacker. Nagel mentioned that Weis is hoping to have him put on a few pounds and suit up at outside linebacker instead of his current spot at strong safety. Whether he ends up at safety or linebacker though, Nagel brings a lot of speed and a penchant for the big hit. He also seems to enjoy it.

"Defense is my passion,'' he said. "I like to hit people. I'm used to carrying the ball 17 to 18 times a game and catching passes, but I like defense more than offense. I like to be the one hitting people, not the one who is taking a hit and getting hurt."

Nagel's commitment to ND caught many Irish fans off-guard, but he wasn't nearly the sleeper candidate that Kerry Neal was. Before Nagel jumped on the ND offer, nearly all of the Big Ten (save the traditional heavyweights) had offered him a scholarship in addition to schools like Oklahoma State, Boston College, and Stanford. Some might worry that a lack of offer from a Michigan or Ohio State means something, but we need to keep in mind it's still March. It's true that recruiting has really picked up the pace the past few years, but many schools still like to get kids to a summer camp before handing out an offer. Weis apparently though didn't need that with Aaron.

Nagel picked up his scholarship offer after a 40 minute personal interview with Charlie. Ranked 3rd in his class with a GPA over 4.0, Nagel certainly fits Weis' ideal of "football players who can also read and write." No doubt he impressed Weis with whatever it is they talked about. According to Nagel, Weis excused himself from the interview at the end and said he'd be back in a minute.

"He came back," Aaron Nagel recalled Monday via cell phone, "and he said, 'All right Aaron, I think we're going to pull the trigger now.'"

From there it was a short race back home to confer with his parents before calling Weis back and accepting the offer. Living close to Chicago made for a quick car ride and also probably helped Nagel's cause as I really think that Weis is trying to really lock down the best talent in and around the city. It seems that Weis is trying to re-establish ND's presence in the midwest with kids that love ND, but I really think that the greater Chicago area is where Weis wants to make the Irish destination #1 for the best players. ND will always go after the best talent regardless of location, but building a solid base of midwestern kids, especially those that grew up dreaming about ND, is a smart move to me.

With two defensive players on board now, the common trait is their abundance of speed. I don't think it should be overlooked that both Nagel and Neal started high school in the defensive backfield, corner and safety respectively, before growing into their current position at safety and linebacker. Now, it seems that Weis sees them shifting yet again to linebacker and defensive end. It has long been a tradition that the best way to add speed is to make safeties into linebackers and linebackers into lineman. It seems that Weis is doing the same thing here with Neal and now Aaron Nagel.

And really now, what's not to like about a future linebacker who's last name is German for "nail"?

posted

• 1 month later...

April 10, 2006

No Break For Nagel

by MIKE REPPERT

BlueAndGold.com Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Version | Discuss this article

When Aaron Nagel gave his verbal commitment to Charlie Weis on that cool March afternoon in South Bend, he knew that he had just made one of the biggest decisions of his young life.

The decision allowed Nagel to fulfill a lifelong dream of having the opportunity to play football for the Irish, while receiving an education from the one of the top academic institutions in the country.

“I have always dreamed of playing for the Irish and now I’m going to have that chance,” said the 6-foot-2, 215-puond linebacker. “It’s Notre Dame…what else can I say.”

Nagel, a Lemont, Ill., native was able to make numerous trips to the Notre Dame campus. Each visit felt more comfortable and it became very clear where he wanted to spend his college years.

“I love the campus and the tradition. Just walking around there, you can feel the energy and excitement,” noted Nagel.

Along with preparing himself for his final high school football season, Nagel is also concentrating on improving his speed, size and quickness. He knows those skills must be in op form when he arrives on the Notre Dame campus in 2007.

“Right now I am attending speed camp three or four times a week where I can work on foot speed, agility, and explosiveness at the same time,” stated Nagel. “Coach Weis told me that he expects me to come to camp in shape and ready to contribute at the linebacker position with no excuses.”

Unlike many of Nagel’s classmates who spent their spring break in warmer climates soaking in the sun at a beach or pool side, he spent his time attending Notre Dame spring practice.

“I was in South Bend for a couple days and went to four or five spring practices to get a feel for what I was in for,” explained Nagel. “It was really impressive to see how big and quick these guys are, but now I know what I need to work on and get better at.”

Nagel will make another trip to his future school on April 22 for the annual Blue-Gold Spring Game.

“I will be coming to the game with my dad and my brother. We are going to make a nice weekend out of the trip. I think my dad is just as excited about this as I am.”

Discuss this article in the "Rockne's Roundtable" message board.

No Break For Nagel 4/10

Win Over USF Makes 12 Straight 4/10

Seven Makes 11 4/9

Irish Win 10th Straight 4/8

Tight End Tricks 4/7

more headlines

Wade Film Breakdown

Committing To A Dream

The Wild, Wild West

Thank You Jim

RSS BlueandGold.com