My Coaching Staff Vision

I have come to the realization that ND will not pay their coaches at top 10 salary levels in many cases.  So, I would suggest;

Coach Freeman has to insist on ND running his defense and he has to be responsible for making sure it's being coached and executed properly.  As a result of that, I would offer less salary for my D coordinator.  I am going to be choosing from a little farther down the list of prospective candidates and telling them, my defense got me the HC job at ND.  Run it my way and you will get offers from other power 5 schools as a coordinator for more money or HC offers.  Hypothetically if Golden has another less than expected year, I would hire Mickens as D coordinator.  Hypothetically in my scenario you can survive a constant cycle of replacing DCs and positional coaches because the players will be playing in the same system every year.  You have to pay your defensive coaches less than offense because that's where the competency of your HC lies.  

On offense, I would offer my prospective coordinator a top 10 level salary.  I would ask that guy to please stay till you receive a top level HC offer.  If you are good at your job, that won't take long.  I would tell that candidate that I won't be able to pay your positional assistants at a similar top 10 level unfortunately.  I would ask the OC to be responsible for the execution of the offense and just make sure your positional assistants are dogs on the recruiting trail.  In this scenario I'm hoping that the high level pay for the OC will keep that person in place a bit longer and create stability.  

What do you think...?

7 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

I have come to the realization that ND will not pay their coaches at top 10 salary levels in many cases.  So, I would suggest;

Coach Freeman has to insist on ND running his defense and he has to be responsible for making sure it's being coached and executed properly.  As a result of that, I would offer less salary for my D coordinator.  I am going to be choosing from a little farther down the list of prospective candidates and telling them, my defense got me the HC job at ND.  Run it my way and you will get offers from other power 5 schools as a coordinator for more money or HC offers.  Hypothetically if Golden has another less than expected year, I would hire Mickens as D coordinator.  Hypothetically in my scenario you can survive a constant cycle of replacing DCs and positional coaches because the players will be playing in the same system every year.  You have to pay your defensive coaches less than offense because that's where the competency of your HC lies.  

On offense, I would offer my prospective coordinator a top 10 level salary.  I would ask that guy to please stay till you receive a top level HC offer.  If you are good at your job, that won't take long.  I would tell that candidate that I won't be able to pay your positional assistants at a similar top 10 level unfortunately.  I would ask the OC to be responsible for the execution of the offense and just make sure your positional assistants are dogs on the recruiting trail.  In this scenario I'm hoping that the high level pay for the OC will keep that person in place a bit longer and create stability.  

What do you think...?

My vision is a bit different. I like the head coach to also be head of recruiting. So I want my Coordinators to run both sides of the ball on their own. We'll see if Parker can do that. But with 3 out of 5 offensive coaches being coordinators in the past. RB coach coached in the NFL and WR coach just had an interview in the NFL, I think it will be good.

Maybe I would be asking too much but I would ask Freeman to remain as focused on recruiting.  Ideally, his DC would require oversight at first but I would hope that coach would pick up the scheme quickly and allow Freeman to back off a little.  That would be especially true if they promoted from within like Mickens.  

• Heart 2

I think that ND needs to elevate from being content paying Top 10 salaries (per Jack's email) for assistants to paying Top 5. The NFL is going to be more attractive from a quality of life perspective so ND will need to keep ACs happy to keep them around.

• Heart 2

Just now, jbrown_9999 said:

I think that ND needs to elevate from being content paying Top 10 salaries (per Jack's email) for assistants to paying Top 5. The NFL is going to be more attractive from a quality of life perspective so ND will need to keep ACs happy to keep them around.

agreed. If ND wants to be the best, ND needs to pay like it.

• Heart 1

Just now, 4thand1 said:

Fire Swarbrick then but we all know that's not happening.  I am trying to think of ways to work around the situation that we seemingly have to deal with.

You are right though You hire guys with potential like  Rees  and Parker. He could elevate Mickens or look for another coach looking for redemption like Golden. There are always cost efficient ways. Kelly never really needed an offensive coordinator and Freeman would not need a defensive coordinator but as long as you have the spot you might as well find the right coach for your budget.

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Bingo…with all the changes in college, the NFL is far more attractive than it’s ever been. There will always be those college guys that are staying no matter what, but I think the number of coaches in college that would make that jump given the chance is higher than it’s ever been. 
Keep Freeman focused on being a head coach and taking the lead in recruiting. My opinion is the more you get him involved in things that your coordinators should be able to do, the less oversight he has on everything.

Ultimately, I think swarbrick needs to go. It’s not all on him, the administration certainly still seems unwilling to fully adapt and accept current ncaa climates. The sooner there’s some fresh minds in there, the better.

• Heart 1

Just now, 4thand1 said:

I am not sure I am getting my main point across.  I am leveraging Freeman's def scheme knowledge and ability to save $ on defensive coaches so ND can spend big on their OC.  

Its a good point. My question is do cancel a speech or 10 with the Alumni club of wherever so Freeman can write every practice plan?

1 hour ago, 4thand1 said:

I am not sure I am getting my main point across.  I am leveraging Freeman's def scheme knowledge and ability to save $ on defensive coaches so ND can spend big on their OC.  

My point is that ND should be willing to pay for top coaching talent at all assistant positions so that there is not a need to go cheap for any of the staff.

A NC for ND would probably be worth at least $50M in increased donations, TV rights, merchandise, increased applications, etc. 

• Heart 1

If Freeman needs to continuously hand hold his DC, he's got the wrong guy. Oversight in the beginning but the DC should be very capable of executing the scheme on his own from there with minimal oversight. Obviously if Freeman feels its not going well he gets involved. If he repeatably has to do that, time for a change.

If fans want to continue to scream about ND not being willing to pay top dollar for the coaching staff, I am all for it.  Just be prepared to be disappointed.  I think we should run a fire Swarbrick thread continuously.  Don't want to hear about all of the other great stuff he's done.  The right person can do all of that other great stuff and lead the football team to being an annual championship contender.  Get it done or get out of the way.

• Heart 3