What would the Irish offense look like with Riley Leonard?

9 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Here's what I think the offense would look like:

• Run Heavy: I think Leonard and the running backs would be featured.
  • Play-Action
  • Think more Buchner than Hartman.
  • I think Jeremiah Love's speed could be really fun if you used him on the Outside and Leonard up the middle, like Tim Tebow/Percy Harvin
  • Receivers would need to adjust to ball as I have not seen many clips with perfect ball placement. His delivery is also a bit longer than Sam's

@Mike and or fellow staff please educate me if this gets a transfer portal tag? I'll old in DomerDomain years.

I tend to agree.  Leonard gives an added dimension to the run game with RPO and play action, that Hartman may not have been able to master.  That will open portions of the playbook that wasn't used much this season, and should be more complimentary to a strong D by using the clock better and keeping the fresh and off the field.

A huge area we should in theory be more adept at, short yard situations.  We just weren't that effective this season, and 3rd downs were a real crap shoot too often.

• Heart 3

8 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

I tend to agree.  Leonard gives an added dimension to the run game with RPO and play action, that Hartman may not have been able to master.  That will open portions of the playbook that wasn't used much this season, and should be more complimentary to a strong D by using the clock better and keeping the fresh and off the field.

A huge area we should in theory be more adept at, short yard situations.  We just weren't that effective this season, and 3rd downs were a real crap shoot too often.

Totally agree about short yardage and you can add in Red Zone.  When you have to account for a mobile QB, that changes the game.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

I've read so many comments on different forums...  "why don't we play who we recruited?"  "Who wants to come off they know ND will just use the portal?"..  well first off.. every school uses the portal and it has to be common knowledge... second..  if I hand harbor freight tools, but have money to buy better more quality tools to get the job done...    what would anyone do?    Same as the next guy trying to keep his job..     

• Flames 3

2 hours ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Totally agree about short yardage and you can add in Red Zone.  When you have to account for a mobile QB, that changes the game.

Exactly.  And we will need the added dimension next season because we likely will have 3 new starters on the OL.  It's much easier to let OL run block, than pass block and read blitzes as a new guy.  Fire out and put a hat on a defender, allowing for physicality rather than finesse with pass blocking.  Much easier as a newbie presuming your physically ready.

Despite having a lot of youth next season, I'm excited for the guys coming up especially on the OL.  I think Jagusah is going to be the next great tackle based on his size and athletic ability.  I like Craig at center and thought he's played well the psst few games.  Schrauth will be a good one and got some play this year.  

• Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

21 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

Well at this rate with our WR room we may need to get ahold of Lou and get some of his option play books.  Maybe reach out to Paul Johnson or Ken Niumatalolo for a co-OC position?  Leonard can't be worse than Ron Powlus running the option right?

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

• Laughing Leprechaun 1