2023 Schedule

I know everyone is blaming the coaches, but we really should be putting more of the blame on Jack Swarbrick for creating this insanely stupid schedule.

First off, starting zero week in Ireland.

Then, playing six games in a row after that, with three being on the road, and two back to back road night games, making it three night games in a row. I do understand that times are not determined until later, so no one would have known Duke and Louisville would be night games. But what makes it so stupid is sandwiching two road games in between Ohio State and USC, with no bye until after USC.

That right there folks is idiotic, because playing seven games in a row without a break has clearly killed this team!

So, kudos to you Jack. I hope you enjoy your retirement! ✌

You have to remember that schedules are made based on both schools for a given week.  Last night would have probably been the prime spot for the bye week.  Having a say on start times would have helped too.  Not sure why the schools don't have a say on start times instead of the TV networks allowing games to be flexed into their desired time slots.  Especially when the schedule is as brutal as this one turned out to be.  Regardless, you have to show up and play.  This is now two weeks in a row that this team did not look ready to go.  Unfortunately they weren't able to get the miraculous ending this week that they were able to get last week.

• Flames 1

26 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

You have to remember that schedules are made based on both schools for a given week.  Last night would have probably been the prime spot for the bye week.  Having a say on start times would have helped too.  Not sure why the schools don't have a say on start times instead of the TV networks allowing games to be flexed into their desired time slots.  Especially when the schedule is as brutal as this one turned out to be.  Regardless, you have to show up and play.  This is now two weeks in a row that this team did not look ready to go.  Unfortunately they weren't able to get the miraculous ending this week that they were able to get last week.

Yeah, well said and I completely agree!

9 hours ago, Baldy said:

I know everyone is blaming the coaches, but we really should be putting more of the blame on Jack Swarbrick for creating this insanely stupid schedule.

First off, starting zero week in Ireland.

Then, playing six games in a row after that, with three being on the road, and two back to back road night games, making it three night games in a row. I do understand that times are not determined until later, so no one would have known Duke and Louisville would be night games. But what makes it so stupid is sandwiching two road games in between Ohio State and USC, with no bye until after USC.

That right there folks is idiotic, because playing seven games in a row without a break has clearly killed this team!

So, kudos to you Jack. I hope you enjoy your retirement! ✌

On top of that they have midterms. I know from being just a student at ND midterms can be mentally exhausting. They really needed a bye last week.

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

On top of that they have midterms. I know from being just a student at ND midterms can be mentally exhausting. They really needed a bye last week.

They really did! 😑

I totally agree that the way the schedule is structured this year is not favorable to a team trying to win a championship.  Not at all.

But, take for instance the 2030 schedule ( ND football schedule 2030 ); 7 football seasons from today.  As of today, there 8 games on the schedule, meaning there are contracts already signed committing both teams to play those games.  The exact date is penned in for 3 of the 8.

That means there are likely 4 more games to be added, depending on what conferences exist and how the conferences schedule games in 2030.  Those are a couple of major question marks.  

I don't know the details of the 2023 schedule.  Which games were inked on what dates.  

But, I am sure that it is really hard to get 12 opponents cobbled together in a schedule, particularly when most of those opponents have about 8 obligatory conference games in a given season.  It's a significant give-and-take for both teams, each of which has its own issues with scheduling.  "Hey, let's agree to play in 2030, and we'll work out the dates during the 2029 season."  But by 2029, a lot of other schedules will have solidified, leaving few options remaining where both teams can actually play. 

This year's schedule team-wise seemed like it could get ND into the playoffs.  But, no doubt, how the schedule actually shook out makes that next to impossible.

BTW, as I looked at future schedules, it looks like the USC contract expires after 2026 (?).  I don't see them on the schedule after that.  And, conference realignment could conceivably put an end to it before that (?).  That would be a big loss, at least to me.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1