2023 - You Get What You Pay For

Jack Swarbrick said everything when they didn't get Ludwig last year.

Ludwig cost too much to bring to SB. And then he told everyone where to go to donate money to the athletic fund.

im not saying Ludwig was the home run hire but it's becoming clear Parker ain't that guy and the overall philosophy as a fan has to aggravate you as you spend your time and money on this program.

It's smug and arrogant and his attitude reaks of entitlement. 

im glad he's leaving while also acknowledging he's fighting higher powers on this but someone has to be the catalyst for investment.

I tried posting article link unsuccessfully but google Swarbrick Ludwig 247

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, JTennant said:

Jack Swarbrick said everything when they didn't get Ludwig last year.

Ludwig cost too much to bring to SB. And then he told everyone where to go to donate money to the athletic fund.

im not saying Ludwig was the home run hire but it's becoming clear Parker ain't that guy and the overall philosophy as a fan has to aggravate you as you spend your time and money on this program.

It's smug and arrogant and his attitude reaks of entitlement. 

im glad he's leaving while also acknowledging he's fighting higher powers on this but someone has to be the catalyst for investment.

I tried posting article link unsuccessfully but google Swarbrick Ludwig 247

You'll get a kick out of this. I was told by someone who was close to the most senior position at ND that Swarbrick hung around one more year to enjoy the National Championship he thinks we're going to win in football. 

• Laughing Leprechaun 3

57 minutes ago, Frankus said:

You'll get a kick out of this. I was told by someone who was close to the most senior position at ND that Swarbrick hung around one more year to enjoy the National Championship he thinks we're going to win in football. 

Then I guess he should have made an easier schedule to navigate, instead of this nightmare! Such a moron!

3 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

depends how long you are willing to hold the asset. I want to see how freeman's recruits do.

Sadly, if ND loses 4 games this year, recruiting will decline. I’m already nervous enough about the 2024 class.  Not a lot of star power there. Good?  Yes.  Good enough for a Freeman-coached team to win a championship?  I don’t think so.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Sadly, if ND loses 4 games this year, recruiting will decline. I’m already nervous enough about the 2024 class.  Not a lot of star power there. Good?  Yes.  Good enough for a Freeman-coached team to win a championship?  I don’t think so.  

I think the 2024 class could, but we’ll have to wait and see.

• Heart 1

Freeman has acknowledged that his entire career was on the defensive side of the ball. That he was going to need help learning the offense side. That is why ND knew with a Freeman hire they needed a good OC. When Tommy left that was ND opportunity to help Freeman by spending the money to get the best OC possible.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, ND_JACK said:

Freeman has acknowledged that his entire career was on the defensive side of the ball. That he was going to need help learning the offense side. That is why ND knew with a Freeman hire they needed a good OC. When Tommy left that was ND opportunity to help Freeman by spending the money to get the best OC possible.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/article/notre-dame-football-jack-swarbricks-response-to-andy-ludwig-contract-blowback-204844967/

@tneun89 I agree with your assessment. I just wish that Freeman knowing his weakness, that he is not an offensive guy, would have tried harder to hire the best possible OC to help him and not settle for an unproven friend. I know that is easier said than done. This is where the AD needed to step in and help the first time head coach realize he needed an experienced and proven OC. 

• Heart 3

16 hours ago, ND_JACK said:

@tneun89 I agree with your assessment. I just wish that Freeman knowing his weakness, that he is not an offensive guy, would have tried harder to hire the best possible OC to help him and not settle for an unproven friend. I know that is easier said than done. This is where the AD needed to step in and help the first time head coach realize he needed an experienced and proven OC. 

Don't disagree with you at all. As a young HC, he should have hired a veteran, proven OC. Having a second-year HC and a first-year OC is not a recipe for offensive success when the HC only has a defensive background. He should have gone out and hired someone like Phil Longo, current OC at Wisconsin, with previous stops at UNC and Ole Miss.

It seems like Marcus is still limited in his understanding of the offensive side of the ball. This offseason, ND either needs to cut bait with Parker and hire a proven guy (personally, I don't have faith Marcus would fire his friend after one season), or, more likely, ND needs to hire a veteran offensive analysts. Go the Nick Saban route and hire an old head couch help on that side of the ball. No idea if David Cutcliffe would have any interest in coming out of retirement, much less for an analysts position. But ND/Marcus needs someone like that.

I understand that Marcus is learning on the job. That is what ND signed up for when they hired him. And I still have faith he can lead the program to a national title. It will just take time and patience. But he needs to surround himself with guys who have been there and done that. We have a decent amount of veterans on staff - McCollough, Rudolph, Golden, but we need more. I think the defense is playing so well because Golden is running the ship and has seen everything. ND needs a guy like that to run the offense, or at least work with Parker. 

I'm not giving up on this season. If ND can find a way to beat USC. 10-2 is very achievable. 9-3 at worst - still allows ND to get a 10th win in a bowl game. But to compete for national titles, especially in the 12-team playoff era, Marcus needs to surround himself with the right coaches.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Don't disagree with you at all. As a young HC, he should have hired a veteran, proven OC. Having a second-year HC and a first-year OC is not a recipe for offensive success when the HC only has a defensive background. He should have gone out and hired someone like Phil Longo, current OC at Wisconsin, with previous stops at UNC and Ole Miss.

It seems like Marcus is still limited in his understanding of the offensive side of the ball. This offseason, ND either needs to cut bait with Parker and hire a proven guy (personally, I don't have faith Marcus would fire his friend after one season), or, more likely, ND needs to hire a veteran offensive analysts. Go the Nick Saban route and hire an old head couch help on that side of the ball. No idea if David Cutcliffe would have any interest in coming out of retirement, much less for an analysts position. But ND/Marcus needs someone like that.

I understand that Marcus is learning on the job. That is what ND signed up for when they hired him. And I still have faith he can lead the program to a national title. It will just take time and patience. But he needs to surround himself with guys who have been there and done that. We have a decent amount of veterans on staff - McCollough, Rudolph, Golden, but we need more. I think the defense is playing so well because Golden is running the ship and has seen everything. ND needs a guy like that to run the offense, or at least work with Parker. 

I'm not giving up on this season. If ND can find a way to beat USC. 10-2 is very achievable. 9-3 at worst - still allows ND to get a 10th win in a bowl game. But to compete for national titles, especially in the 12-team playoff era, Marcus needs to surround himself with the right coaches.

Completely agree!

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, tneun89 said:

I'm right there with you.  As a man, as a person, I love Freeman.  He's leaps and bounds better than the cuck that is in Baton Rouge now.  Is he as good of a coach, that's yet to be seen.  He is a far better recruiter though, no question.  He's a good defensive mind.  He needs help offensively.  I don't know that I would shit can Parker, but, I would at least demote him back to just being the TE coach.  You need to find someone that has more experience to be the OC.  On the other hand, they could go 10-2 and win a bowl game and we'll be laughing at ourselves when we look back at these posts.  We were all lauding Parker for the first 4 weeks of the season.  We have to see how the season pans out.  

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I'm right there with you.  As a man, as a person, I love Freeman.  He's leaps and bounds better than the cuck that is in Baton Rouge now.  Is he as good of a coach, that's yet to be seen.  He is a far better recruiter though, no question.  He's a good defensive mind.  He needs help offensively.  I don't know that I would shit can Parker, but, I would at least demote him back to just being the TE coach.  You need to find someone that has more experience to be the OC.  On the other hand, they could go 10-2 and win a bowl game and we'll be laughing at ourselves when we look back at these posts.  We were all lauding Parker for the first 4 weeks of the season.  We have to see how the season pans out.  

Totally accurate here!

I wait here and wonder how Guduigli would do as OC. He has experience too, right? Or is it similar to Parker?

• Heart 1