2023 Self-Scout Thread

Warning for those of you who think Faith= Unconditional Homer. This is not that kind of thread.

Disclaimer: ND has lost 1 game by a FG. All responses to this thread can assume I know that fact,

Offense: ND will face cover 3 or cover 4 coverage with 1 blitzer until ND's receivers can prove they can 

A. Sit in the hole of a zone

B. Run by a DB and make a catch.

Cover 4/Quarters/Off Matchup man allows for teams to get safeties involved in the run game and or give their DB's a cushion we can't seem to run by

In those Quarters looks you can still attack the seams and the flats but if you do that its a 12 play drive and with the new clock rules it keeps ND's scoring down.

Defense: 

Has a bunch of veterans who have improved. Golden runs a complicated scheme with lots of disguise. Guys have picked it up. Howard Cross III is flourishing in the inside stunt game. DE goes inside DT goes outside or DE jumps two Gaps DT finds one of them.

Most confidence I have had in man to man coverage in ages. They held OSU under 20 points

Kicking Game..

Find a short yardage kicker without the big leg swing. Tall guys have more mechanics. Find someone with a compact set up to get the chip shots

This is fun

ND sits as a 10-20 team right now. They can't only beat 19 by 7 and get my 5-10 seal.

Make a few more plays on offense and I think they really have something.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Great stuff, Faith. 

I think the offense can get there based on how the first five weeks went. I know they only scored 2 TDs against OSU, but they moved the ball consistently, and OSU has a really good defense with talent at all three levels. I think last week was bad for three reasons: poor showing by the OL, no showing by the WRs, and Mike Elko is one heck of a defensive coach.

I think of Louisville as a "get right" game. Their defensive stats are solid, but they haven't played anyone, so I think they're a little inflated. That said, they have two really good DEs and two really good CBs. So, what stunk last week against Duke has to get fixed tomorrow. I think the return of Thomas and Greathouse will boost the WRs considerably. I love the potential of Merriweather, but he just looks lost out there. I'd love to see Greathouse take more of his reps. I also want them to try to get the ball to Tyree more. He has made big plays in every game. Eli Raridon is also back, but I have no expectations for him tomorrow. I'm guessing he'll get 10-15 snaps. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Great stuff, Faith. 

I think the offense can get there based on how the first five weeks went. I know they only scored 2 TDs against OSU, but they moved the ball consistently, and OSU has a really good defense with talent at all three levels. I think last week was bad for three reasons: poor showing by the OL, no showing by the WRs, and Mike Elko is one heck of a defensive coach.

I think of Louisville as a "get right" game. Their defensive stats are solid, but they haven't played anyone, so I think they're a little inflated. That said, they have two really good DEs and two really good CBs. So, what stunk last week against Duke has to get fixed tomorrow. I think the return of Thomas and Greathouse will boost the WRs considerably. I love the potential of Merriweather, but he just looks lost out there. I'd love to see Greathouse take more of his reps. I also want them to try to get the ball to Tyree more. He has made big plays in every game. Eli Raridon is also back, but I have no expectations for him tomorrow. I'm guessing he'll get 10-15 snaps. 

Also We get a break from Jim Knowles and Mike Elko. Safety driven defense with those guys keeping 3 deep and blitzing from angles is no picnic. Hopefully not everyone mimics that cover 4 nightmare now.

17 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Agreed.  I think part of the Duke game was still lingering effects from losing the OSU game.  Hopefully the Duke game was the wake up call the team needs to show them they can't sleepwalk through the next few weeks.  They need to compete and they need to do it on all three phases of the game.  There are no more TNSTs and Central Michigans on the schedule.  Wake the frig up and play your game.  Take care of business.  

• Heart 1