Why do we do this to ourselves?

I’m talking to people like myself who get too emotionally invested in this team. I can’t for the life of me understand why I let something I have zero control over impact my emotions so greatly. I removed my emotions after the 2018 Clemson game but got roped back in during the 2020 season, probably in part due tot COVID and being stuck at home. 

My love for this team is a microcosm of my life. I invest so much into people yet don’t get the same in return and am left disappointed, time and time again. Just when I think my ex is going to change, she pulls the rug from under me and reminds me why we continue this cycle. I picked OSU to win, but again, I got my hopes up and truly believe we had this game won. I should have known better, we ALWAYS find a way to lose these games. 

I am just venting. I would love to experience what it would feel like to win one of these games, just once. I’m curious for those who were able to detach your emotions from this team, how did you do it? Should I just stop watching games? 

This is EXACTLY how I feel about Notre Dame football...currently at a loss for words though..  im not even mad ..just like ...dazed and realizing that it happens every time..  

Then sometimes I think about how much it must stink for middle of the pack conference teams whos fans know they'll never ever have any kind of chance..    

Sports fandom is like wearing a costume. We're pretending to be part of the team as we watch the games. The most fun Halloweens are the ones where you commit to the bit, right? You get lost in the "character" and start to feel like the role you're playing. Eventually, the role playing ends and you go back to being you.

That's kinda how I feel about things. I'm an ND fan, but that's not my identity. It's a part of me that I use to entertain myself, but it is not the core of me. 

• Cheers 2

I do this to myself because I am a glutton for punishment.  I'm 40 now.  This shit still bothers me like I'm a teenager.  I can't help myself.  Maybe its because I've never experienced a national championship with this team.  I didn't start following until after '88.  Probably after '93 as well.  I don't get as worked up over the Giants or Yankees.  Granted, I rarely watch baseball at all anymore.  Its too boring.  The New York Rangers and Notre Dame are my biggest passions.  Coincidentally, they're the two teams I am fans of that have won the least.  I don't know.  It just friging sucks.  I'm so tired of it.  

• Flames 1

I'll be 42.. and only one of my favorite teams have won a championship since I've been alive..  1990 reds ...  I was nine...and luckily have some memories of all the brooms ..nasty boys ..etc...etc....(Paul O'Neil's defection to the yankees)  grr..  anyway...  my mindset is locked into tbay teenager mindset ...i still pour all of my everything into every game notre dame plays ...  and man o man ..  its literally exhausting...it never goes our way it seems ..    

4 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

Get a family, have kids, have parents who are aging and ailing, volunteer with the most desperate in your community… that will give you perspective. 

If we win - great. If we don’t…darn. Maybe next week.

That’s my Goosefraba for this morning…

Meh. I got a 2 year old, crazy ass wife and 4 dogs and a stressful business to run.

I was standing the whole game pacing and sweaty palms.

This one hit different. 

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

I agree with most of what has been said here, and while it sucks, is exhausting, or doesn’t make sense sometimes, I do it because I just love Notre Dame football so much!

Like, it’s just hard to describe, and my passion for this team is different than any other team I’m a fan of. The only other sports I watch besides CFB are the NBA and NFL, and being from California, I’m a Sacramento Kings and Los Angeles Chargers fan. So yeah, there’s that too. 😑

I’ve only been a fan of Notre Dame football since 2005. It was meeting my wife in 2001, and being around her family more, that got me into Notre Dame football. They had been fans of the Irish for years, and hearing some of the stories they all told me of the good ol’ days, and all of us being of catholic faith, I became passionate about this team!

Sometimes I still curse them for making me this way, but really, I wouldn’t want it any other way. Notre Dame football keeps us all close together, and no matter what, I’m proud of being a fan! Even if it does hurt so, so, so much at times!

Go Irish!!! 🍀🏈

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

I turned the game off after we went up 14-10 and watched TV with my wife and daughter for a bit. I tried not to check on the game on the phone but I did and it definitely cast a pall over the whole experience. In recent years I have been less bad about getting agitated. I am going to try and do more DVR and less live watching, just not worth it.

• Cheers 1