What are you looking for against Tennessee State?

I want to see more of the same.  Impose our will on the ground and getting the wide receivers involved in the pass game.  Looking for this game to be out of reach by halftime so we can get the backups some burn.

On defense, continue the solid play especially with the tackling.  There were some missed tackles but for the most part, I was impressed with the defense and how they made plays.

What do you all think?

• Heart 1

Tobias with a bomb td. Showing confidence. 

Angeli getting a few first team reps. Just a series in the second quarter. 

Mills with a dominant Pass rush along with Bortello. Want to see that line get nasty and those two need to show it. 

Nice catch by Staes. 

Tyree with a (circle button) juke move that gets the crowd on their feet. 

Estime with a Ray Zellers against Purdue type run. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

Tobias with a bomb td. Showing confidence. 

Angeli getting a few first team reps. Just a series in the second quarter. 

Mills with a dominant Pass rush along with Bortello. Want to see that line get nasty and those two need to show it. 

Nice catch by Staes. 

Tyree with a (circle button) juke move that gets the crowd on their feet. 

Estime with a Ray Zellers against Purdue type run. 

Ray Zellars reference...Love it!

• Cheers 1

I want to see an aggressive and confident ND in the First Quarter. We all remember Purdue in 2012 and how bad ND looked after getting back from Ireland (obviously, TSU is not on that level in terms of talent, as they've had losing records in the FCS the last 6 seasons, I believe). So I'm hoping ND had a plan for getting the team back to campus after Ireland and having a good week of practice leading up to Saturday.

A repeat of Navy would satisfy me. Control both lines of scrimmage, and let Hartman dictate the offense. Get all 5 RBs involved and get all 7 WRs involved. Need to get Merriweather more involved and get him some confidence. His drop in the First Quarter was bad. He's ND's most talented WR, and ND needs him to be firing on all cylinders by the time OSU comes to South Bend. That starts with getting some receptions against TSU and getting more comfortable with Hartman.

Defensively, I want the DL to stymie TSU's rushing attack and get after the QB. It sounds like their QB is a talented runner, so the DEs need to keep contain and force him to stay in the pocket and make throws. I also want to see how the DBs play against the pass since Navy was a throwaway game for them.

Even though I want TDs, it would be nice for Schrader to make his first FG in a game like this with no pressure. Get him some confidence before heading to NC State. 

I'm hoping the game is a blowout, and hoping we give the second team guys most of the Fourth Quarter. It will help not playing Navy's offense this week, as Navy basically bled out the clock in the Fourth Quarter, going on a 8-minute drive, leaving only 3 minutes on the clock for ND's second team offense. I want to see Angeli run the offense and get some experience passing to some of the younger WRs. 

For me, the two most important things: (1) Start fast and stay aggressive throughout the game, and (2) stay healthy.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Steady  and solid, Busting out the standard defenses 4-3, 4-2-5, It will be interesting to see if they hold the 3 safety defense for the super spread teams, USC, Ohio State, Or get it some game speed reps saturday.

Good point Faith.. I think you need to get it some game speed... I'll be honest, I played/coached on the defensive side of the ball.. And there are always things you want to workout when playing different personnel groups.  Now, that being said.. You can be extremely bland in what you put on tape.. Like lets say you go with a 4-2-5 look... Only show base Cover 1, 2 or 3... Save the blitzes and gap variations for your higher leverage situations.. I mean the NC State game you probably wanna see a couple of the things you're planning to put in the follow week.  But to you point.. I think I do wanna see different packages on the defensive side of the ball.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NDFBL19 said:

Good point Faith.. I think you need to get it some game speed... I'll be honest, I played/coached on the defensive side of the ball.. And there are always things you want to workout when playing different personnel groups.  Now, that being said.. You can be extremely bland in what you put on tape.. Like lets say you go with a 4-2-5 look... Only show base Cover 1, 2 or 3... Save the blitzes and gap variations for your higher leverage situations.. I mean the NC State game you probably wanna see a couple of the things you're planning to put in the follow week.  But to you point.. I think I do wanna see different packages on the defensive side of the ball.

It will be so nice to have a real coach around here again in addition to an observer who likes the X's and O's like me. I swear I was seeing ND in a Cover 6 last year. So Cover 4(fancy man) to Morrison's side and Cover 2 to Hart's side. Did you see anything like that? Or was it just me misreading something.

• Heart 1

I want to see what the D line and secondary looks like against a more traditional offense.  

I want to see the WR group build on what they started.

I want to see the RB room go without a turnover 

other than that…balanced attack and something that shows me that this team is going to get better as the season goes on

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

I want to see JD Price bust a 92 yard run. Angeli throw a 40 yard pass (to an ND player).  
A freshman db get an int. 

Seeing those would mean ND dominated the first half. And the backups are doing good things. 

LOL enjoyed the caveat about the 40 yarder to a ND player.

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

It will be so nice to have a real coach around here again in addition to an observer who likes the X's and O's like me. I swear I was seeing ND in a Cover 6 last year. So Cover 4(fancy man) to Morrison's side and Cover 2 to Hart's side. Did you see anything like that? Or was it just me misreading something.

I actually think this was more so the soft technique... I think I know exactly what you're talking about.. To me and without being in the huddle it felt like guys were bailing long on their drops.  Making it appear like we were in soft cover 6, when in reality it was a cover 3 but because the under zone drops were so deep your eyes were tricking you.  Obviously last week was a joke of an offense because you had no threat to throw the ball whatsoever.. I'll keep an eye on this, really in the NC State week because I think that'll be the first offense we see that we'll truly have to respect both run/pass.

• Cheers 1

Second.  No injuries.   Let's get the 2's a little more time this week (a LOT more time).

True freshmen - playing time vs. redshirt considerations.  Presumably, they're trying to RS Drayk Bowen, Jaiden Ausberry still.  Only Frosh that played were Greathouse, Flores, and Jeremiyah Love on O.  Gray on D.

I thought we'd see some of those other guys vs Navy, but maybe they'll debut in a home game (TSU or CMU).  It's a tough balance between getting them their max playable time to retain their RS and potentially needing them in the rotation later in the year due to injury or otherwise.

Seems clear the 4 that played probably won't RS this year.  They certainly all look ready to play.  Love surprises me some, given our RB depth, but I don't think they can keep him off the field.  All made plays.  Rico wants to block!

Still no word on what's up with Nolan Zeigler?  I've always rooted for the kid (fellow SW Michigander), so I hope all is well for him.  Will be a good day if/when he returns.

Ultimately, I'll be looking for a beautiful South Bend game day and a strong Irish showing with a win!

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

7 hours ago, JeffV said:

Second.  No injuries.   Let's get the 2's a little more time this week (a LOT more time).

True freshmen - playing time vs. redshirt considerations.  Presumably, they're trying to RS Drayk Bowen, Jaiden Ausberry still.  Only Frosh that played were Greathouse, Flores, and Jeremiyah Love on O.  Gray on D.

I thought we'd see some of those other guys vs Navy, but maybe they'll debut in a home game (TSU or CMU).  It's a tough balance between getting them their max playable time to retain their RS and potentially needing them in the rotation later in the year due to injury or otherwise.

Seems clear the 4 that played probably won't RS this year.  They certainly all look ready to play.  Love surprises me some, given our RB depth, but I don't think they can keep him off the field.  All made plays.  Rico wants to block!

Still no word on what's up with Nolan Zeigler?  I've always rooted for the kid (fellow SW Michigander), so I hope all is well for him.  Will be a good day if/when he returns.

Ultimately, I'll be looking for a beautiful South Bend game day and a strong Irish showing with a win!

The linked report has Drayk Bowen and Jaiden Ausberry as playing. It might be on special teams instead of on defense but it appears that they were in the game.

https://fightingirish.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/2023-NDFB-vs-Navy-Full-Book.pdf

• Heart 1