Need for more 'big games' driving conference realignment

Interesting statistics from Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports behind the theory that the need for more higher rating games is driving the conference realignment :

Only 22 out of 800 football games had more than 5 million viewers

The nation’s 133 FBS teams staged nearly 800 regular season games in 2022 and, per sportsmediawatch.com, only five of them delivered audiences of 10 million or more — Michigan-Ohio State (17.1 million), Tennessee-Georgia (13.1), Alabama-Tennessee (11.6), Alabama-Texas (10.6) and Notre Dame-Ohio State (10.5). Just 17 additional regular season games had more than five million viewers, almost all of them featuring traditional powers. Alabama, for example, had seven of its 12 regular season games reach five million or more.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-benefit-of-college-football-realignment-more-big-games-175147907.html

Given that ND will receive about $10M per home game based on rumors and ND averages between 2.5M to 3M viewers per game, their broadcast partner (NBC?) will be paying about $3 to $4 per viewer to ND per game.

https://www.on3.com/teams/notre-dame-fighting-irish/news/notre-dame-football-tv-numbers-viewership-abc-nbc-ohio-state-usc-2022-fighting-irish/

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Interesting statistics from Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports behind the theory that the need for more higher rating games is driving the conference realignment :

Only 22 out of 800 football games had more than 5 million viewers

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-benefit-of-college-football-realignment-more-big-games-175147907.html

Given that ND will receive about $10M per home game based on rumors and ND averages between 2.5M to 3M viewers per game, their broadcast partner (NBC?) will be paying about $3 to $4 per viewer to ND per game.

https://www.on3.com/teams/notre-dame-fighting-irish/news/notre-dame-football-tv-numbers-viewership-abc-nbc-ohio-state-usc-2022-fighting-irish/

Well there would be more interesting games if P5 schools scheduled against other P5 schools out of conference.  Been saying for years that you should be penalized for waxing patsies.  No more FCS opponents, and this year we are playing one.  I don't believe NBC is showing it, nor do I have one iota of interest in it.

Playing 3-4 shitty warm up games before conference play is garbage.  Half the P5 schools wouldn't get to a bowl because of their losing conference records, but they go because they beat the Sisters of the Poor, NW Waxahachie Tech, and the School of the Blind.  Put some games out there worth following for the casual fan let alone fans of a school who want to support their team.

I used to watch CFB all day on Saturdays, flipping between multiple games.  Now not so much because the product increasingly gets watered down.  Even the 2x NC Georgia doesn't play a ranked school until November, but how can that be in the almighty SEC?

I'm quickly losing what little love I have left for CFB.  

• Heart 3

Agreed @jessemoore97.  All of these powerhouse Power 5 schools have no business playing these FCS schools.  I get that its a money thing.  The FCS schools get paid handsomely for getting curb stomped by the big schools.  Doesn't make it right.  If you wanna have tune up games then at the very least play some lower level P5 schools or some G5 schools.  Keep it in the FBS and let the FCS be the FCS.

• Heart 3
  • Leprechaun 1

On 8/11/2023 at 4:37 PM, jessemoore97 said:

I used to watch CFB all day on Saturdays, flipping between multiple games.  Now not so much because the product increasingly gets watered down.  Even the 2x NC Georgia doesn't play a ranked school until November, but how can that be in the almighty SEC?

On most weeks, I can usually find one good game per time slot, but I do agree that there should be more premiere games which is why 10 game conference schedules would be nice to see, though part of me does worry how that would affect ND.

• Heart 2

35 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

On most weeks, I can usually find one good game per time slot, but I do agree that there should be more premiere games which is why 10 game conference schedules would be nice to see, though part of me does worry how that would affect ND.

Just Wait Cobra Kai GIF by NETFLIX

• Heart 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:37 PM, jessemoore97 said:

No more FCS opponents, and this year we are playing one.  I don't believe NBC is showing it, nor do I have one iota of interest in it.

Edit...Was about to say we weren't...but I was confusing Tennessee State with Middle Tennessee.  TSU is FCS.

Edited by retch10