Pac-12 All but Dead as Media Rights Deal Falls Apart, Five More Colleges Defect

The implications for ND are enormous. 

The Big 10/18 has a new NBC contract that will pay 16 of those teams $90 million per year each. Oregon and Washington will apparently get $50-60 million each. 

The SEC contract pays more than that. 

Heck, even the TCU/Cincinnati-led Big 12/16 contract pays close to that. 

And ND?  $22 million per year per the existing NBC contract through 2024. Will ND be able to find a partner willing to pay anywhere near $90 million per year?  Better hope so. Conferences seem to be pretty full now. 

I wonder if Jack turned in his resignation when he could see this writing on the wall. Didn’t want to be the AD when ND joined a conference. 

I believe the heat on Freeman will be ridiculous this year. If ND loses 4 regular season games this year, given that I think the 2024 recruiting class will end up ranked about 13-15 and the 2025 class would lose all momentum, it seems to me that ND would be in a precarious negotiating position. The brand would have suffered.

ND needs to start winning big games. Get to the playoff this year and that would help. A lot. 

5 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

The implications for ND are enormous. 

The Big 10/18 has a new NBC contract that will pay 16 of those teams $90 million per year each. Oregon and Washington will apparently get $50-60 million each. 

The SEC contract pays more than that. 

Heck, even the TCU/Cincinnati-led Big 12/16 contract pays close to that. 

And ND?  $22 million per year per the existing NBC contract through 2024. Will ND be able to find a partner willing to pay anywhere near $90 million per year?  Better hope so. Conferences seem to be pretty full now. 

I wonder if Jack turned in his resignation when he could see this writing on the wall. Didn’t want to be the AD when ND joined a conference. 

I believe the heat on Freeman will be ridiculous this year. If ND loses 4 regular season games this year, given that I think the 2024 recruiting class will end up ranked about 13-15 and the 2025 class would lose all momentum, it seems to me that ND would be in a precarious negotiating position. The brand would have suffered.

ND needs to start winning big games. Get to the playoff this year and that would help. A lot. 

Seems that ND should be able to get at least $65M-$70M (which, by the way, will be just for 7 football games). Curious if the Big 10 media deal from NBC will increase due to adding Oregon and Washington. If not, then just more mouths to feed from the same bowl. No idea how the Seattle and Portland media markets are valued but it seems doubtful that each school would be worth the same amount to NBC ($60M a year) as ND.

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Seems that ND should be able to get at least $65M-$70M (which, by the way, will be just for 7 football games). Curious if the Big 10 media deal from NBC will increase due to adding Oregon and Washington. If not, then just more mouths to feed from the same bowl. No idea how the Seattle and Portland media markets are valued but it seems doubtful that each school would be worth the same amount to NBC ($60M a year) as ND.

An article I read today said that Oregon and Washington will receive 50-60% of the money the other teams will receive sine the deal was negotiated after the USC/UCLA move but before this move.  I guess there may be a renegotiation, but that deal was signed by all parties involved  at the time.  

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

An article I read today said that Oregon and Washington will receive 50-60% of the money the other teams will receive sine the deal was negotiated after the USC/UCLA move but before this move.  I guess there may be a renegotiation, but that deal was signed by all parties involved  at the time.  

The point is that you said that Big 10 schools are to receive $90M each and Oregon and Washing will receive $60M each. The question is whether or not NBC will pay the Big 10 more money now due to there being two more schools in the conference. If not, then the $120 for the two new members ($60M * 2) will need to be funded by the existing schools giving up some of their money.

In any case, since it seems that ND will get around $70M for their next TV contract, they are in the ball park as the SEC and Big 10 in terms of TV money. Especially when you consider that they still receive some money from the ACC for non-football.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Really interesting.  
SMU’s stadium seats about 30,000 I think. Will ND play SMU in Dallas??  It does mean ND gets more Dallas area recruiting exposure, I suppose. 
I like the idea of playing Cal. I don’t like that Cal adds nothing for ND market-wise. 
SMU gets no media-rights money for 7 years. They really wanted a chance to get into a P5 conference. 
Florida State, Clemson, and North Carolina voted ‘no’ and all other schools voted ‘yes’. Makes me think those three schools will pack their bags soon enough. The ACC without those schools is like the BIG12 after Texas and OU leave. 

Edited by AnTostal