NIL : State’s vs NCAA

I know NIL the last thing you want to think about. But it’s a slow time and I thought this was an interesting read about what New York State is trying to do. Maybe it’s me (being an old fart) but it just seems like EVERYTHING nowadays is decided for us by the lawyers in court. The winner is….the lawyers of course ($$$) and whoever ( individuals, corporations, states, federal government, etc..) has the biggest pockets to pay the lawyers and pay lobbyists…sad.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/2023/06/syracuse-lobbyists-went-to-the-full-court-press-in-albany-for-a-friendly-nil-law.html?e=11e46a05d736a33628697d644245726f&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter_sports_report 2023-06-23&utm_term=Newsletter_sports_report

Lawyers just ask courts to enforce the law.  If you didn’t have that, people would take matters into their own hands with a lot of vigilante justice and you know who would win that world - the people with money who can afford the vigilantes.  Big money may win at lower levels of court, but they don’t win the higher you appeal.

This world would suck without lawyers.  Usually, the folks I’ve run into who complain about lawyers actually just don’t like the laws…blame the legislature…not the lawyers.

• Heart 1

Just now, irishwavend said:

Lawyers just ask courts to enforce the law.  If you didn’t have that, people would take matters into their own hands with a lot of vigilante justice and you know who would win that world - the people with money who can afford the vigilantes.  Big money may win at lower levels of court, but they don’t win the higher you appeal.

This world would suck without lawyers.  Usually, the folks I’ve run into who complain about lawyers actually just don’t like the laws…blame the legislature…not the lawyers.

I think that these SMU type situations(death penalty from the 80s) are finally being discussed in real time in public forums. Lawyers play a key role in the whole thing as you stated and they should.

1 hour ago, irishwavend said:

The lawyers are only doing there jobs. I have no problems with lawyers, family members, best friends, even my dear college roommate are lawyers. And of course there has to be laws to help govern us. My remarks about things being sad are just society in general. How family, spouses, friends, neighbors, etc use the legal system to get THEIR way. People are not willing to work together to solve issues.

Edited by ND_JACK
  • Heart 1

If college athletes get paid the equivalent of the tuition, room, board, and some playing around money, why give them a scholarship?  That scholarship money could go to SOOOOOOO many kids who really need it.

NIL has gone crazy and will be even worse.  It's fair to pay the athletes.  I don't think it's fair to give them scholarships, too, if they are making over $100,000 in NIL in a year.  There are people who totally neeeed that money.  Every kid from a middle class family could benefit from that.

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, AnTostal said:

If college athletes get paid the equivalent of the tuition, room, board, and some playing around money, why give them a scholarship?  That scholarship money could go to SOOOOOOO many kids who really need it.

NIL has gone crazy and will be even worse.  It's fair to pay the athletes.  I don't think it's fair to give them scholarships, too, if they are making over $100,000 in NIL in a year.  There are people who totally neeeed that money.  Every kid from a middle class family could benefit from that.

Thisssssssssssssssss.  These athletes are saving a ton of money by getting full ride scholarships.  That should be sufficient.  If you wanna pay these athletes on top of providing them with free schooling then take away the free schooling.  Let other students get those scholarships.  Hell, use those scholarships for walk-ons if need be.  If a player makes x amount more than whatever their scholarship is worth, that player's scholarship shouldn't count towards the 85 max so that other scholarships can be handed out.  I feel like that is something that is much more realistic than taking away a scholarship from a player that earned it.