Domer Domain Announcements & Updates (2023)

14 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

love the layout today...not sure what's different but looks cleaner...

Thank you!

I made a lot of changes the last few days with the as the goal, so I appreciate the message.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

WHEW, it has certainly been an offseason. Still work to go on my end, but I finished most of the heavy lifting with the forums and the front page of the site. Thanks for hanging in there while I cleaned things up. It's a fresh/different take on the traditional forum structure that most are familiar with, but I hope it's a welcome change.

I feel good with where things are at and heading, but I want to take a pause and check in to see how does everyone feel about the changes made to Domer Domain?

Thanks again for weathering the storm.

:lepreachaun:

Thanks it's a really  good looking board. This, in my opinion, is a strong example of pride in ownership.  I really appreciate the effort you have put into care taking the best ND board on the internet.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Thanks it's a really  good looking board. This, in my opinion, is a strong example of pride in ownership.  I really appreciate the effort you have put into care taking the best ND board on the internet.

Thank you for the kind words, @FaithInIrish Forever

:green-heart:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, FaithInIrish Forever said:

The create buton on the personal nabigation bar is vague: Create post create thread create topic.............. Needs another word

The issue with changing it is that it suits more than one need. It's not just Topics, but it can also be used for multiple other sections of the site. I intend on that being used if somebody makes a blog post, adds an event to the community calendar, or if an announcement needs to be made. I'm open to ideas, but it would need to be able to be used for all the of the below options as well. I can't think of anything better than the default 'Create' for this.

image.png

A few updates on a few things, which will continue to see tweaks and adjustments leading up to the season.

1. I added Tagging Guidelines to the Recruiting Forum
  2. I undid a few of the changes previously made on the forum view, mostly due to the amount of scrolling required on Mobile.
  3. I hid topic thumbnails on mobile, as well as a few other elements like date started. I needed to make too many compromises to get thumbnails to display well on mobile, so I'm going back to the drawing board to see if I can make something work without compromising the desktop experience.
  4. Cut down the bottom mobile links to 3 (Forums / Home / Fighting Irish Forum)

There's a lot of other things changing while I figure out what works, but the above are the main ones. Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

The issue with changing it is that it suits more than one need. It's not just Topics, but it can also be used for multiple other sections of the site. I intend on that being used if somebody makes a blog post, adds an event to the community calendar, or if an announcement needs to be made. I'm open to ideas, but it would need to be able to be used for all the of the below options as well. I can't think of anything better than the default 'Create' for this.

image.png

Gotta to have a good today before tomorrow. I'd make that menu as you need it. But I see your point. How many of those menu options are used at this moment?

14 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Gotta to have a good today before tomorrow. I'd make that menu as you need it. But I see your point. How many of those menu options are used at this moment?

That's how it works out of the box and changing it up too much only to undo it in the future would only cause more confusion. Almost all new thread topics are made using the 'Start New Topic' button that's found on every forum page, but I agree on the good today before tomorrow front, but I also need to make sure it's a good tomorrow as well, when we get there.

I do think you're right though and if it was worded better, it might be used a bit more. I reworded it to New Post instead of Create since that can cover Topic Post, Blog Post, Etc. Let me know if you have any other ideas, and thanks @FaithInIrish Forever.

Edit: The alternative I was thinking was "New Content" since it is a wider range of coverage. Let me know if you have feedback there.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's how it works out of the box and changing it up too much only to undo it in the future would only cause more confusion. Almost all new thread topics are made using the 'Start New Topic' button that's found on every forum page, but I agree on the good today before tomorrow front, but I also need to make sure it's a good tomorrow as well, when we get there.

I do think you're right though and if it was worded better, it might be used a bit more. I reworded it to New Post instead of Create since that can cover Topic Post, Blog Post, Etc. Let me know if you have any other ideas, and thanks @FaithInIrish Forever.

Edit: The alternative I was thinking was "New Content" since it is a wider range of coverage. Let me know if you have feedback there.

New post is perfect. thanks I think post is discussion board word. Where content is a social media word. Good job!

• Heart 1