C.J Stroud declares for NFL draft

54 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

I'm sure its another high 4-5 star guy without much experience.

If Stroud goes in the first round, that will be three QBs in a row drafted in the first round for Ohio St. That is approaching what Riley had going at Oklahoma (and is continuing at Southern Cal).

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

If Stroud goes in the first round, that will be three QBs in a row drafted in the first round for Ohio St. That is approaching what Riley had going at Oklahoma (and is continuing at Southern Cal).

Yeah it gets sickening seeing that success.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, GRIMREAPER1270 said:

Well Haskins and Fields did not set the NFL on fire. 

Wouldn't know, I don't watch the woke No Fun League and haven't for 25 years or so.

But any of the above QBs got to that 1st round pick because they lit it up in college.  Day and Riley have developed really good QBs, who at the very least functioned great in their offensive systems in college.  Most of those guys were highly ranked recruits, but HS to college is a big learning curve just like college to the pros I suppose.  They improved and succeeded. 

We haven't had anywhere close to that hit rate, and we've recruited some high end QBs.  Either we are bad at evaluating QBs, can't coach them to be better, our scheme sucks, or in my mind a combination of all three.

26 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

Wouldn't know, I don't watch the woke No Fun League and haven't for 25 years or so.

But any of the above QBs got to that 1st round pick because they lit it up in college.  Day and Riley have developed really good QBs, who at the very least functioned great in their offensive systems in college.  Most of those guys were highly ranked recruits, but HS to college is a big learning curve just like college to the pros I suppose.  They improved and succeeded. 

We haven't had anywhere close to that hit rate, and we've recruited some high end QBs.  Either we are bad at evaluating QBs, can't coach them to be better, our scheme sucks, or in my mind a combination of all three.

No doubt they lit it up in college. I would jump out of my seat if we had a QB that could put up those numbers. So far though that hasn't translated well into the NFL.  Is it the system? Is it the QB themselves? Maybe a combination of both. 

• Heart 1

Right.  And there is always talk of people being just system QBs in college.  Hartman coming to ND is allegedly so he can prove he's not one and show he can manage a pro style offense.

12 minutes ago, GRIMREAPER1270 said:

No doubt they lit it up in college. I would jump out of my seat if we had a QB that could put up those numbers. So far though that hasn't translated well into the NFL.  Is it the system? Is it the QB themselves? Maybe a combination of both. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, GRIMREAPER1270 said:

Maybe it is because playing QB in the NFL is really hard to do.

In any case, when is the last time that ND had a QB start two seasons in the NFL? From what I can tell, it has been:

Steve Beuerlein 1999 & 2000

Rick Mirer 1994 - 1996

Joe Montana 1981 - 1994

13 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Maybe it is because playing QB in the NFL is really hard to do.

In any case, when is the last time that ND had a QB start two seasons in the NFL? From what I can tell, it has been:

Steve Beuerlein 1999 & 2000

Rick Mirer 1994 - 1996

Joe Montana 1981 - 1994

Brady Quinn started majority of his games in 2009 and 2012 with some sporadic starts in other seasons.  I didn't realize how badly Clausen busted after looking up his stats.  Damn.