I hate the current state of college football

This lack of loyalty to schools that has been surpassed by cash opportunities has ruined the institution of college football that we once knew…

This ship jumping drives me nuts… the parity in programs is going to become far more unbearable than it already was with the educational deceits. 

If some checks and balances aren’t put into place, this is destined to destroy the governing principles of college athletics as we once knew them.

• Heart 2

Yippurs.

The whole thing has rotted.

It used to be that if a player made a mistake on the field, my attitude was, "hey, he's just a kid".  No more.  Now he's a professional, even if he is only 20 or 22.  If he's playing, he's probably making a few hundred thousand a year (?).  For that kind of money, he ought to perform like he's worth paying that kind of money.

And hey, if he gets mad, he can pick up his toys and go play in another sandbox.

And the coaches are no better.  Look at Hairball Harbaugh shopping his wares again.  And TCU's OC traipsing off to Clemson yesterday.  Clemson fires their OC and hires a new one the same day.  Hmmm.  Think that may have been in the works before signing day?

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Yippurs.

The whole thing has rotted.

It used to be that if a player made a mistake on the field, my attitude was, "hey, he's just a kid".  No more.  Now he's a professional, even if he is only 20 or 22.  If he's playing, he's probably making a few hundred thousand a year (?).  For that kind of money, he ought to perform like he's worth paying that kind of money.

And hey, if he gets mad, he can pick up his toys and go play in another sandbox.

And the coaches are no better.  Look at Hairball Harbaugh shopping his wares again.  And TCU's OC traipsing off to Clemson yesterday.  Clemson fires their OC and hires a new one the same day.  Hmmm.  Think that may have been in the works before signing day?

I mean thats just jobs. Everyone keeps their job if looking for a new one if they have the chance. If I was approached by a new company I wouldnt tell them to hold off until a project was over. I may tell them i cant start until a project ends, but i may still have an agreement in place and give notice. 

5 hours ago, Synoptico said:

I mean thats just jobs. Everyone keeps their job if looking for a new one if they have the chance. If I was approached by a new company I wouldnt tell them to hold off until a project was over. I may tell them i cant start until a project ends, but i may still have an agreement in place and give notice. 

I do think it is more fair now that players can pretty easily transfer, given that they often commit to a school, only to learn in January that their primary coordinator or head coach is leaving to go coach somewhere else.  
It doesn’t seem right to me that a coach who is pretty certain he’s going to be somewhere else next year goes and sits in a kid’s house to recruit him to the school he’s soon to be leaving.
Talking to you, BK.  

• Heart 1

My interest wanes each passing day for a variety if reasons.  Like all things, those who pushed for change so adamantly yesterday are often they first to decry the change and unintended outcomes that came with it in the end.

Fans, coaches, schools, and athletes are still navigating the newness of everything.  Each level having some regret with the unintended actions that emerged from the upheaval of the winds of change they sought.

I've staunchly opposed super conferences, playoffs, expanded schedules, etc for a long time.  The luster of college football is waning for me.  Change is inevitable but its not always good especially for many of the superficial reasons that transpired in CFB.  I don't need CFB, it needs me.  Sports and entertainment by and large has hemorrhaged followers for years.

• Heart 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:14 PM, Rocketsan said:

This lack of loyalty to schools that has been surpassed by cash opportunities has ruined the institution of college football that we once knew…

This ship jumping drives me nuts… the parity in programs is going to become far more unbearable than it already was with the educational deceits. 

If some checks and balances aren’t put into place, this is destined to destroy the governing principles of college athletics as we once knew them.

Agree 1,000% percent with you. College football players are nothing more now than mercenaries honoring the highest bidder, loyalty be damned!!! t will be the ruin of the game we once loved.It's a shell of itself already!

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Jersey Irish said:

Agree 1,000% percent with you. College football players are nothing more now than mercenaries honoring the highest bidder, loyalty be damned!!! t will be the ruin of the game we once loved.It's a shell of itself already!

I mean... its been that way for 25 years... they were mercenaries to see who could get them to the NFL with schools making money selling their jerseys. At least they get a cut now. 

It’s only going to get worse unfortunately. Based on their history, I can’t see how anyone is confident in the NCAA regulating this. 

NIL is the big one. It’s not going anywhere and it’s going to be the difference maker, especially for kids coming from poverty. ND can compete with any school in this regard, however I’m not sure they’re willing to go all in. I don’t see an effective way of governing NIL. 

Cap transfers at 2 and the second one requires you to sit a year. Get rid of the mental health exemption. Almost everyone is dealing with mental health struggles. This puts pressure on kids to be more intentional with their transfers. It’s really not teaching kids a good lesson…when things don’t go your way, quit and look for the path of least resistance. Terrible….

I’ve never understood the NCAA. I’ve seen schools get away with bloody murder (bogus classes) and they receive a slap on the wrist. ND self reports a tutor helping students (might be wrong on this) with assignments and we vacate an entire years worth of wins? I know it doesn’t matter, there’s just no consistency. 

Edited by ndomer4
  • Heart 1

11 hours ago, lazard said:

it's more fair to the players now though.  Back then the schools had all the power and raked in all the profits.

The thing is that the 'profits' are extreme now. When coaches are making $10 million a year to coach 13 to 14 games, that tells you that the money has gone way up compared to the 1980's.

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

The thing is that the 'profits' are extreme now. When coaches are making $10 million a year to coach 13 to 14 games, that tells you that the money has gone way up compared to the 1980's.

You're not wrong.  On the flip side the leash is that much shorter for coaches too for turning things around.  Outside of a big scandal you never saw HC getting canned after a few games into a season.  And I think many contracts were usually honored through 3-5 years before parting ways.  Its happening with much more frequency and becoming the new norm.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:59 AM, jessemoore97 said:

You're not wrong.  On the flip side the leash is that much shorter for coaches too for turning things around.  Outside of a big scandal you never saw HC getting canned after a few games into a season.  And I think many contracts were usually honored through 3-5 years before parting ways.  Its happening with much more frequency and becoming the new norm.

But coaches have guaranteed contracts. It they don't perform they still collect a paycheck for years