Bug Out Bag Builder Thread

echo88

I swear this isn't related to the election!

I've always keep a Pelican 1620 in the back of my truck that includes essentials in case of an accident, isolation, or really any emergency situation. I only open it maybe a couple times per year and I noticed that moisture tends to accumulate inside over time, whick is a big problem for tools or items that are susceptible to rust.

This week I replaced the 1620 with the largest option in Pelican's new line (BX220), which apparently is designed for exterior vehicle mounting or placing in the bed of trucks.

Really curious to hear if there are others who keep something similar and to absorb suggestions from fellow DDers regarding items I may not have even considered.

Let's hear it....

I can't offer much. I just sort of hoped you and your bag would fit in a giant bag I have lying around.

But probably something I should look into given the current climate. What are your basic essentials?

Different people have different priorities, but here is a list of what I keep (or at least will keep once the new case arrives).

Stanley Fatmax FUBAR III breaching tool

Collapsible bolt cutters

Folding saw

100ft para cord

Case of MREs

Set of fatigues

Ferro rod and 3 lighters

Rugged hiking boots

Merino wool socks/underwear

Mechanix gloves

Nitrile gloves

Moisture wicking shirts

Yeti waterproof bag

Medical kit

Compact sleeping bag

Emergency tent

IR strobe

Full tool kit

Mystery Ranch hiking pack

12oz cat litter

Assorted baggies

Nylon webbing belt

DEET wipes

Spare truck keys

Knee pad inserts for fatigues

Microfiber towel

Headlamp

6000 lumen spotlight

2 small weatherproof pelicans

Medication box

Loose battery box (aa, aaa, and 123A)

2x flashlights

Spotter scope

Mil grade wool blanket

Charging cable/adapter set

Sunglasses

Boonie cap

Sunscreen

2x tie ratchet straps

Hand crank am/fm/wb radio

Garmin GPS

12 mil grade glow sticks

Lifestraw filtration straw

250W portable generator

Daniel Defense MK18 SBR

Glock 23 pistol

6x mags for each

Waterproof paper

Pens

Sharpies

Super glue

Gorilla tape

Electrical tape

Gerber multitool

Benchmark knife

Portable Jumpstart power-pack

Cell/wifi booster with directional antenna

Portable fishing pole

Large bag of jerky

FRS Radio (in case 2m comms are out)

I think that's it...I could only fit half of that in the 1620 but the new box definitely has enough room.

Edited by echo88

Don't have anywhere close to that amount of stuff. But I do like to keep monofiliment fishing line around and some hooks. I don't really travel and am pretty much a homebody around my area. Know great places to go with springs and ponds for water near my folks acreage and know all the neighboring farmers very well, small town/country life growing up. Always know where to scrounge stuff and how to talk to folks. Otherwise always have my AR and Glocks on me. Common mistake I see for people is loading up on lots of stuff and tac gear but either never have a plan for it or know how to use it. Knowledge and preplanning goes a long way for situations.

Different people have different priorities, but here is a list of what I keep (or at least will keep once the new case arrives).

Stanley Fatmax FUBAR III breaching tool

Collapsible bolt cutters

Folding saw

100ft para cord

Case of MREs

Set of fatigues

Ferro rod and 3 lighters

Rugged hiking boots

Merino wool socks/underwear

Mechanix gloves

Nitrile gloves

Moisture wicking shirts

Yeti waterproof bag

Medical kit

Compact sleeping bag

Emergency tent

IR strobe

Full tool kit

Mystery Ranch hiking pack

12oz cat litter

Assorted baggies

Nylon webbing belt

DEET wipes

Spare truck keys

Knee pad inserts for fatigues

Microfiber towel

Headlamp

6000 lumen spotlight

2 small weatherproof pelicans

Medication box

Loose battery box (aa, aaa, and 123A)

2x flashlights

Spotter scope

Mil grade wool blanket

Charging cable/adapter set

Sunglasses

Boonie cap

Sunscreen

2x tie ratchet straps

Hand crank am/fm/wb radio

Garmin GPS

12 mil grade glow sticks

Lifestraw filtration straw

250W portable generator

Daniel Defense MK18 SBR

Glock 23 pistol

6x mags for each

Waterproof paper

Pens

Sharpies

Super glue

Gorilla tape

Electrical tape

Gerber multitool

Benchmark knife

Portable Jumpstart power-pack

Cell/wifi booster with directional antenna

Portable fishing pole

Large bag of jerky

FRS Radio (in case 2m comms are out)

I think that's it...I could only fit half of that in the 1620 but the new box definitely has enough room.

Hot damn, Echo. Are you that guy from Tremors? lol.

What do you think about hidden caches? I've always thought about keeping one at or near my parents rural lake house who live in the middle of a forrest on Huron in case shet hits the fan.

Hot damn, Echo. Are you that guy from Tremors? lol.

What do you think about hidden caches? I've always thought about keeping one at or near my parents rural lake house who live in the middle of a forrest on Huron in case shet hits the fan.

Not a bad idea at all. My list, however, is kept in my truck in case I'm outside the range of any caches or my house. I'd rather have all I need on hand and not need it than vice versa.

Not a bad idea at all. My list, however, is kept in my truck in case I'm outside the range of any caches or my house. I'd rather have all I need on hand and not need it than vice versa.

Honest question, meant without judgment. You obviously have a robust list of tool and stuff in your bag. Truly jealous of your supply.

What sort of thing are you anticipating for?

Not trying to get into anything else or changing the subject. Curious here. natural disaster, war, other?

Honest question, meant without judgment. You obviously have a robust list of tool and stuff in your bag. Truly jealous of your supply.

What sort of thing are you anticipating for?

Not trying to get into anything else or changing the subject. Curious here. natural disaster, war, other?

Oh its a wild array of situations only because this case will allow enough space. 90% goal is for a situation where my truck is incapacitated in a remote area...preparing for something like a nuclear fallout or a major natural disaster is a different animal. And it would take a backseat if I ran out of room.

Oh its a wild array of situations only because this case will allow enough space. 90% goal is for a situation where my truck is incapacitated in a remote area...preparing for something like a nuclear fallout or a major natural disaster is a different animal. And it would take a backseat if I ran out of room.

Thanks. Definitely find it interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have a lot of similar items though not as comprehensive either. Here are a couple of items that I have not on the list:

Survival Snares

Clotting Sponges

Respirator Masks

3600 calorie bars (MREs would be space prohibitive)

Battle Dressing / Compression Bandages

Hatchet / Field Axe

Deboning / Fileting knife set

I keep my bag hanging on a hook in my garage next to the door. Should be pretty quick to grab ICE.

• 3 months later...

I like your list Echo, you have a few things I either haven't thought about or haven't had added to my list yet. I have a Toyota 4Runner so my system is all enclosed. I have a drawer system in the back with Molle panels that cover the back windows for easy to reach gear. In general my list is slightly smaller but I also have some recovery gear if I get into an off road situation and need to dig or winch my vehicle out.

-You carry a breaching tool which I need to add, I currently have a 28" Fiskars axe that I carry.

-You say Glock, I say SIG...P226r with Nitron sights and tactical light

-Daniel Defense / I have a SIG 516 with an Aimpoint red dot

I like the fishing gear idea and the generator, how big is the generator you carry? Not sure I have room for that in my vehicle.

Also, i was baffled by the kitty litter? It does have multiple uses but thats one I have never considered.

Home is also a well stocked for most situations. My next big ticket item that Ive been working on is some land and a couple shipping containers. You prob know where I am headed with that one...

I like your list Echo, you have a few things I either haven't thought about or haven't had added to my list yet. I have a Toyota 4Runner so my system is all enclosed. I have a drawer system in the back with Molle panels that cover the back windows for easy to reach gear. In general my list is slightly smaller but I also have some recovery gear if I get into an off road situation and need to dig or winch my vehicle out.

-You carry a breaching tool which I need to add, I currently have a 28" Fiskars axe that I carry.

-You say Glock, I say SIG...P226r with Nitron sights and tactical light

-Daniel Defense / I have a SIG 516 with an Aimpoint red dot

I like the fishing gear idea and the generator, how big is the generator you carry? Not sure I have room for that in my vehicle.

Also, i was baffled by the kitty litter? It does have multiple uses but thats one I have never considered.

Home is also a well stocked for most situations. My next big ticket item that Ive been working on is some land and a couple shipping containers. You prob know where I am headed with that one...

The bugout gear doubles as vehicle emergency items that either I or someone else might need, so the kitty litter is included for absorption properties and/or traction. Generator is a Rockpals 250W portable---it's only about 9x8x6 and it weighs about 6 lbs.