baseball could lead the way...

Good thoughts about sports, Hawaii, but the reality is college football needs fannies in the seats to produce the revenue stream it needs to generate the dollars needed for a given university's other sports programs. Without it, they are dead in the water financially. On the other hand, the NFL can do without the fans in the seats due to all the revenue systems it has in place, and I am not just talking about TV.

There’s already several large universities that have announced they plan to proceed as usual in the Fall. Notre Dame athletics will be fine bc the Alumni/Boosters have deep pockets. However, the non rev sports at schools with less resources are going to be hurt.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremely triggered, when Hawaii was correct.

Thing is, I never heard Nancy, Obama, Shumer or any of the damn Dem Senators ever apologize to anyone anywhere. And barely the fake news, maybe a retraction here or there buried somewhere. I would say Hawaii you just spat in the wind for nothing. Please just stay the upbeat guy talking about what could be for this season for our Irish.

It's great to see the Dolphins proactively sharing some ideas and plans to reopen the season. Kind of interesting (and expected) that they feel they can have less than 1/4 of the # of fans usually attending.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29131481/dolphins-reveal-plans-host-fans-stadium

Hard Rock Stadium can hold approximately 65,000 fans for a football game, but the Dolphins said they might be down to 15,000 fans for the next season as they adjust to a different setup.

It's great to see the Dolphins proactively sharing some ideas and plans to reopen the season. Kind of interesting (and expected) that they feel they can have less than 1/4 of the # of fans usually attending.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29131481/dolphins-reveal-plans-host-fans-stadium

Hard Rock Stadium can hold approximately 65,000 fans for a football game, but the Dolphins said they might be down to 15,000 fans for the next season as they adjust to a different setup.

This is exactly what I suggested and thought would happen. People can go, it will just be spread out. They should also have people in restrooms and ushers wiping off railings. Vendors with masks and gloves on. They could go even allow people to bring in food so they don’t have to worry about vendors. Either way it can get done. However, I’m still not sold that many people are going to attend games this year.

However, I’m still not sold that many people are going to attend games this year.

Common sense would tell you that, but not everyone uses common sense. A local hot-dog stand opened up over the weekend here in Michigan and they had a line with over 100 people who were all standing on top of each other. They opened once in March and shut down the next day because of the lines and inability to get their customers to follow the rules. 2 months later, same outcome.

They also continue to shut down hiking trails and public beaches here in Michigan because people can't follow the simple rules.

My guess is that the stadiums will have no issues getting people to attend. The issue is going to be how to keep the fans (who have had a few beers) to follow the rules.

Common sense would tell you that, but not everyone uses common sense. A local hot-dog stand opened up over the weekend here in Michigan and they had a line with over 100 people who were all standing on top of each other. They opened once in March and shut down the next day because of the lines and inability to get their customers to follow the rules. 2 months later, same outcome.

They also continue to shut down hiking trails and public beaches here in Michigan because people can't follow the simple rules.

My guess is that the stadiums will have no issues getting people to attend. The issue is going to be how to keep the fans (who have had a few beers) to follow the rules.

It must vary from state to state. I don’t feel Arizona has been that bad at social distancing. Although, we haven’t had as strict of rules as Michigan has. However, our trails have been really busy. And once in awhile I will run into someone at the store where I’m looking to grab pickles or something and somebody will come right next to me and grab their item. So, I guess it happens....

This is exactly what I suggested and thought would happen. People can go, it will just be spread out. They should also have people in restrooms and ushers wiping off railings. Vendors with masks and gloves on. They could go even allow people to bring in food so they don’t have to worry about vendors. Either way it can get done. However, I’m still not sold that many people are going to attend games this year.

Football is one of the most contact of the contact sports. How do you account for keeping players, coaches, support staff and refs safe?

Football is one of the most contact of the contact sports. How do you account for keeping players, coaches, support staff and refs safe?

Lots of testing for those guys. You also have to worry about the old coaches in particular. It could get ugly or it could be nothing. The NFL just came out and said the season is a go. I'm curious on what precautions they plan on taking.

Testing all the players coaches staff and refs every week....is about the only alternative..but probably would work....20% stadium attendance might work...testing and social distancing..thats all we have ..weve been doing well social distancing but that seems to have hit the wall in many places...testing needed to be federal run...logistics, supplies, prioritizing, contact tracing etc..some states are managing, kind of, but the federal response has been a tragic failure of will and leadership...

So will we have football?....I wager in some form,,,but this is such an unpredictable mess...with the new projections shooting up towards 150 to 200 thousand by kickoff,,who the frack knows.... feels a little like were sailing on the titanic...iceberg or not...full speed ahead.

aloha

Testing all the players coaches staff and refs every week....is about the only alternative..but probably would work....20% stadium attendance might work...testing and social distancing..thats all we have ..weve been doing well social distancing but that seems to have hit the wall in many places...testing needed to be federal run...logistics, supplies, prioritizing, contact tracing etc..some states are managing, kind of, but the federal response has been a tragic failure of will and leadership...

So will we have football?....I wager in some form,,,but this is such an unpredictable mess...with the new projections shooting up towards 150 to 200 thousand by kickoff,,who the frack knows.... feels a little like were sailing on the titanic...iceberg or not...full speed ahead.

aloha

Mass testing is the only way. Mass testing needs to meet title IX. Mass testing needs to take care of the average student equally as well. Is inviting 100,000 people every couple weeks going to keep the staff and students safe? There are a lot of old Jesuits on campus including a relative of mine from time to time. Let's do the math - at current rate there will be ~726,000 deaths by the end of the year. Testing needs to go to the needy and front line first. Get them covered and then get in line based on priority.

Edited by Domer Dude

My wager is on the side that we will have football this year in some form. I would hope families that have older or at risk members would make sure they did not make the trip. I think some combination guidelines will be in place...ie attendance reductions, wearing of masks, social distancing ( image the line to the restrooms at halftime.....lol), no sideline guests or even people in rows close to field. Of course players, coaches, refs, etc would have to be constantly tested during the season.

And something good might come of this. Like doing away with the Kelly tradition of having the players come onto the field through the student section for pre game warmups. There were never any students in the stands for the pregame warmups. Making it look stupid to me.

Edited by ND_JACK

aloha

Seems like a lot of non-football-related opinion here. Open forum has a couple good threads going...

This is not really a big surprise the state of Oregon wants no large gatherings through September at this time. May just started there is a lot of time to change and we don’t know how CFL will be impacted. I would think most states will outlaw “large” gatherings for awhile.