What’s your thoughts about this NBA G league?

I will admit when it comes to bb I am not a fanatic like I am with college football or even the NFL. But after reading this article (link attached) which talks about the new U.S. NBA G league (development league). I am wondering if someone more knowledgeable would comment on why is this G league is good for bb. I understand a kid can get paid instead of having to go to college. But overall doesn’t this hurt the sport? I like watching college ball because I am routing for or against a particular school. The more college games I watch the more I start liking or disliking individual players. Then maybe I’ll watch a pro game because I know A player from college. Now if the future NBA players all skip college and go straight to pros not being a bb fanatic I will lose almost total interest in the NBA except for the championship. What do you guys think?

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nb-as-lifts-a-middle-finger-to-college-basketball-205205349.html

Hopefully it saves the college game. Or it could destroy it. NCAA basketball and the NBA really screwed this all up. The one and done deal was always stupid. Baseball and hockey have the right idea. You have the freedom to go pro after highschool or go to college. Choose the college route and you must stay 3 years to get your degree. That way they they are forced to be college athletes and attend class three years. They-used to talk about the joe basketball players wouldn’t even attend class knowing they were leaving after the season. What the hell was the point of them going at all?

I am a college basketball fan and have fond memories growing up in the late 70s and early 80s watching college basketball at perhaps its highpoint. I believe the quality and fan connection to college bb started when players like Kemp and Garrnet passed up college for the NBA and were studs. It was around this point that NBA executive started drafting HS kids in droves because nobody wanted to miss the next big thing. In turn, more HS declared for NBA because more HS were getting drafted. So less talent was going to college. If I recall correct it was the NBA who implemented the one year rule. This rule seemed to be a safe guard for NBA teams more than anything else. That is by making these kids play at least one year in addition to high school that their talent could be better evaluated. IMO it was protecting dumb NBA scouts and executives.

Over the last 15-20 years with the 1 and done rule in effect, many of the top tier players already have their foot out the door and really in school to showcase themselves first and foremost. Product has subsequently suffered. Coaches have two choices: go after the one-done kids every year or take Brey's route and recruit after kids you can develop. The last several years of college BB seem to be worse than ever. My feeling is its probably some of this is tied in with shoe company scandal. In any regard, I do agree with previous post that the NCAA should move to the same rule in baseball (go pro or you have to stay 3 years). I also kind of like coach K's idea of having a commissioner specific for college BB, but I'm not sure that would be needed if the sport ultimately resembled NCAA baseball. In which case it is inevitable that interest will not be as great.

I will admit when it comes to bb I am not a fanatic like I am with college football or even the NFL. But after reading this article (link attached) which talks about the new U.S. NBA G league (development league). I am wondering if someone more knowledgeable would comment on why is this G league is good for bb. I understand a kid can get paid instead of having to go to college. But overall doesn’t this hurt the sport? I like watching college ball because I am routing for or against a particular school. The more college games I watch the more I start liking or disliking individual players. Then maybe I’ll watch a pro game because I know A player from college. Now if the future NBA players all skip college and go straight to pros not being a bb fanatic I will lose almost total interest in the NBA except for the championship. What do you guys think?

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nb-as-lifts-a-middle-finger-to-college-basketball-205205349.html

The vast majority of guys in the d league need work. they are not the guys leaving early. They are guys who need to develop in the pro routing and are later bloomers. It really hasnt hurt the college game.

The G league has been around for almost 20 years at this point.

I am a college basketball fan and have fond memories growing up in the late 70s and early 80s watching college basketball at perhaps its highpoint. I believe the quality and fan connection to college bb started when players like Kemp and Garrnet passed up college for the NBA and were studs. It was around this point that NBA executive started drafting HS kids in droves because nobody wanted to miss the next big thing. In turn, more HS declared for NBA because more HS were getting drafted. So less talent was going to college. If I recall correct it was the NBA who implemented the one year rule. This rule seemed to be a safe guard for NBA teams more than anything else. That is by making these kids play at least one year in addition to high school that their talent could be better evaluated. IMO it was protecting dumb NBA scouts and executives.

Over the last 15-20 years with the 1 and done rule in effect, many of the top tier players already have their foot out the door and really in school to showcase themselves first and foremost. Product has subsequently suffered. Coaches have two choices: go after the one-done kids every year or take Brey's route and recruit after kids you can develop. The last several years of college BB seem to be worse than ever. My feeling is its probably some of this is tied in with shoe company scandal. In any regard, I do agree with previous post that the NCAA should move to the same rule in baseball (go pro or you have to stay 3 years). I also kind of like coach K's idea of having a commissioner specific for college BB, but I'm not sure that would be needed if the sport ultimately resembled NCAA baseball. In which case it is inevitable that interest will not be as great.

Getting rid of the one and done rule will make College Basketball better. There’s no reason for a Zion Williamson to play in College, none. I think basketball should have a 2 yr rule instead of 3. The number of roster spots in the NBA, G and D League is minuscule relative to the entire Minor League system in Baseball. Those kids need earlier access to the Professional route.