Has Stanford replaced ND?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting stats attached....

attachment.php?attachmentid=1160&d=1455897707

Observations:

Stanford has been playing a slightly better schedule than ND over the past decade and has faired better against the ranked teams during that period. That said, that decade is a period in which ND was recovering from all-time program lows while Stanford was ahead of ND on the rebuilding curve and experiencing all-time program highs.

My conclusion: While Stanford has experienced recent success, they have not replaced ND because you cannot discount the history, the $$, the reach, and the relevance of the program (regardless of record). Had Notre Dame continued on the Ty Willy path, we may have been too far gone, but ND remains relevant and has returned to playing competitive football. Stanford Needs to accomplish more, and sustain that program for more than a few years, before I consider them ahead of ND.

Edited by MyFightingIrish

the longer stanford is good, the bigger of a threat they become. kids get a chance at an ivy league level school, that is now consistently good at football, and is in california. i saw some crazy stat on a different site where a ridiculously high percent of recruits who get accepted to stanford go. like 90% or something crazy. i understand that those who are truly interested are those who would apply, but still, it is crazy to think about.

To me their biggest issue is their fanbase. You watch games and the stadium is half full.

the longer stanford is good, the bigger of a threat they become. kids get a chance at an ivy league level school, that is now consistently good at football, and is in california. i saw some crazy stat on a different site where a ridiculously high percent of recruits who get accepted to stanford go. like 90% or something crazy. i understand that those who are truly interested are those who would apply, but still, it is crazy to think about.

To me their biggest issue is their fanbase. You watch games and the stadium is half full.

So if 90% of the HS football players that are accepted go, then they are only accepting, say, 30 applications each year. That is a small pool considering the amount of talent that is out there. Granted, that pool is part of ND's target demographic (kids that excel both on and off the field), but Stanford can only target so many of them given their admission requirements.

Given the point you made about their lack of a fanbase and inability to fill a stadium, I don't see them relaxing the admission Standards anytime soon... it simply wont gain them anything. They are already good and people don't seem to care.

Edited by MyFightingIrish

Honestly, I thought Stanford would tank under Shaw, that was wishful thinking because I really don't like him. They haven't, and that is ok. Success for Stanford IS success for ND, that is something people are glossing over. Another academically strenuous school enjoying success is a good thing, it shows athletes that it is something that can be done, and ND is enjoying success at the same level. The 40 year decision speech cuts both ways, a degree from Stanford is more prestigious than a degree from ND in a lot of fields, heck, they don't even really share the same kind of academic programs. ND is a liberal arts school right? Stanford is well known for it's computer science and engineering graduates, which is pretty crazy considering that Cal is right across the bay and it has a stellar engineering programming also.

Anyways, I digest. Shaw will leave and the Harbaugh effect (Currently in effect in *spit* Ann Arbor) will fade and they will go back to a middling major school while ND continues to recover from the last two decades of bad coaching hires (Not including Kelly in this). Stanford will not enjoy sustained success, not over the next 20 years.

When you guys say ND has more $ what do you mean?

Endowments:

Stanford $22.2 billion

ND $10 billion

Referring to the cash value of the football program. ND is currently #2 on that list valued at 127 million.

Stanford is less than half that and doesn't show up on the top 20 list for program value.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/12/22/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams-2015-texas-notre-dame-and-tennessee/#4f9759915130

Referring to the cash value of the football program. ND is currently #2 on that list valued at 127 million.

Stanford is less than half that and doesn't show up on the top 20 list for program value.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/12/22/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams-2015-texas-notre-dame-and-tennessee/#4f9759915130

I think endowment is the actual proper measure here, though the numbers are pretty much immaterial at this level. But if the numbers were ever so slightly smaller we might have to worry about giving out scholarships across the many sports ND gives scholarships for, paying for visits, recruiting, etc... as well as improving facilities and everything else.

Truth is, at NDs level they can afford to do as they please without putting a dent into the coffers.

In the history of college football... no way.

However, what really counts now and days? RECENT HISTORY. What's more relevant the shriveled up prune shouting, "Be quiet... back in my day..." or the actual college student who is shouting and having a good time? I'd say the latter. With this in mind I'd say that Stanford is winning the current generation. They do have a slight edge in that they can win a conference and to me that helps. I'm one of the few who thinks ND should join a damn conference.

In the history of college football... no way.

However, what really counts now and days? RECENT HISTORY. What's more relevant the shriveled up prune shouting, "Be quiet... back in my day..." or the actual college student who is shouting and having a good time? I'd say the latter. With this in mind I'd say that Stanford is winning the current generation. They do have a slight edge in that they can win a conference and to me that helps. I'm one of the few who thinks ND should join a damn conference.

Exactly. Nobody today cares about what UCLA did in basketball in the sixties and seventues. You can't just point at history anymore.

Honestly, I thought Stanford would tank under Shaw, that was wishful thinking because I really don't like him. They haven't, and that is ok. Success for Stanford IS success for ND, that is something people are glossing over. Another academically strenuous school enjoying success is a good thing, it shows athletes that it is something that can be done, and ND is enjoying success at the same level. The 40 year decision speech cuts both ways, a degree from Stanford is more prestigious than a degree from ND in a lot of fields, heck, they don't even really share the same kind of academic programs. ND is a liberal arts school right? Stanford is well known for it's computer science and engineering graduates, which is pretty crazy considering that Cal is right across the bay and it has a stellar engineering programming also.

Anyways, I digest. Shaw will leave and the Harbaugh effect (Currently in effect in *spit* Ann Arbor) will fade and they will go back to a middling major school while ND continues to recover from the last two decades of bad coaching hires (Not including Kelly in this). Stanford will not enjoy sustained success, not over the next 20 years.

I admit that I was in the same boat regarding Shaw, but he's doing pretty good there. I'm glad Stanford is doing well for the same reasons. Also it helps ND's SOS, and let's face it it's been a very good game to watch as a fan for the last 4-5 years.

Are you guys forgetting that our current coach took this team to the title game a few years back and was 4 pts from the playoff this year? ND hasnt been as consistent, but Stanford hasnt won any titles recently either. Yes, the conference championship has some value, but both ND and Stanford are in the tier just below elite IMO. Neither is Bama right now, and neither is trending downward... We are splitting hairs. In that context I do think you have to consider history and program strength. Stanford hasnt overtaken ND in anything.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Are you guys forgetting that our current coach took this team to the title game a few years back and was 4 pts from the playoff this year? ND hasnt been as consistent, but Stanford hasnt won any titles recently either. Yes, the conference championship has some value, but both ND and Stanford are in the tier just below elite IMO. Neither is Bama right now, and neither is trending downward... We are splitting hairs. In that context I do think you have to consider history and program strength. Stanford hasnt overtaken ND in anything.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Conference yikes and BCS bowl victories mean a lot. They are getting them. We are not.

Kelly is 47-18 the last 5 seasons, shaw is 54-14. Stanford has been in 4 big time bowls in that time and is 2-2 while we have been in 2 and are 0-2.

As was mentioned above they are pretty even programs right now both just under that elite tier imo.

I don't have enough time to look at timelines and records but Shaw took over for a coach that went to the NFL and went to the Super Bowl while Kelly took over for someone who then failed at Kansas. I am guessing that Shaw's record five years ago had a tailwind while Kelly had somewhat of a headwind.

I don't have enough time to look at timelines and records but Shaw took over for a coach that went to the NFL and went to the Super Bowl while Kelly took over for someone who then failed at Kansas. I am guessing that Shaw's record five years ago had a tailwind while Kelly had somewhat of a headwind.

Very good point.