2015/16 MLB Free Agency

Cubs also traded Chris Coghlan to Oakland for Aaron Brooks. He's young but his ERA is high. Don't like giving up Coghlan but maybe they something in Brooks.

Vegas, do you know anything about this new pitcher from Oakland?

I'll miss Cogs as well. Loved his game and what he brought to the team. Unfortunately, there was just no room for him after the Fowler signing.

And no, I'm not really familiar with Brooks. He was a rookie last year for the Royals/Athletics that was traded in the Zobrist deadline deal ironically. A little surprised Coghlan couldn't fetch someone with some more value personally. I wouldn't expect much outta Brooks, but he is a big body and maybe could surprise in a bullpen role. Maybe a spot start if needed...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll miss Cogs as well. Loved his game and what he brought to the team. Unfortunately, there was just no room for him after the Fowler signing.

And no, I'm not really familiar with Brooks. He was a rookie last year for the Royals/Athletics that was traded in the Zobrist deadline deal ironically. A little surprised Coghlan couldn't fetch someone with some more value personally. I wouldn't expect much outta Brooks, but he is a big body and maybe could surprise in a bullpen role. Maybe a spot start if needed...

A's knew Cog would be a bargain while he had no room with Cubs

I think the Fowler sign is HUGE for the Cubs.....less worry of Schwarber in left with fowler and heyward in cf and rf....

Do the Cubs want Jose Bautista for a steal of a deal at 5 years, 150+ mill???? But here's the added bonus, it covers his 36-41 years, he's declining defensively and his swing is all about timing so it shouldn't be much of an issue when he slows down a bit....

Talk about hurting your reputation amongst a fanbase. And making the new GM the good guy in the whole deal...

Yeah, way to handcuff EVERYONE involved... I feel bad for him because he has been the face of the franchise forever, and he deserved better pay in past seasons, but...

Trade him for some promising talent and/or a solid pitcher...

Yeah, way to handcuff EVERYONE involved... I feel bad for him because he has been the face of the franchise forever, and he deserved better pay in past seasons, but...

Trade him for some promising talent and/or a solid pitcher...

I agree, the Jays got great value out of that deal, but don't forget, when he signed that deal he had had ONE great season in MLB and was a journeyman before it. The Jays handed him a ton of money that would have looked awful if he was a fluke. That's why I hate that he says he gave a hometown discount on the last deal. No he didn't. He got the best deal possible for a relatively unknown amount of talent

I agree, the Jays got great value out of that deal, but don't forget, when he signed that deal he had had ONE great season in MLB and was a journeyman before it. The Jays handed him a ton of money that would have looked awful if he was a fluke. That's why I hate that he says he gave a hometown discount on the last deal. No he didn't. He got the best deal possible for a relatively unknown amount of talent

On a side note, you know the steroids questions going to come into play too. Before he got to Toronto his highest home run out for a season was 16, with the Pirates. Then in his second season with the Jays he becomes Brady Anderson and hits 54 homers. He hasn't looked back since.

Roger Clemens had a very similar career with the Jays...

On a side note, you know the steroids questions going to come into play too. Before he got to Toronto his highest home run out for a season was 16, with the Pirates. Then in his second season with the Jays he becomes Brady Anderson and hits 54 homers. He hasn't looked back since.

He changed his swing and approach completely....no roids about this guy...has always been very strong

Tewksberry has now changed Tulo's swing as well and I think he could win the MVP if he stays healthy.....his swing is gorgeous now.....very much like donaldsons

He changed his swing and approach completely....no roids about this guy...has always been very strong

Tewksberry has now changed Tulo's swing as well and I think he could win the MVP if he stays healthy.....his swing is gorgeous now.....very much like donaldsons

They said the EXACT same thing about David Ortiz when he went to Boston too. :)

Dude has been tested so many times and never approached a scandal. I don't like his personality so much, but to say that he's done what he's done because of juice is unfounded and ridiculous.

Dude has been tested so many times and never approached a scandal. I don't like his personality so much, but to say that he's done what he's done because of juice is unfounded and ridiculous.

I'm not trying to crap on a Toronto fan favorite, I'm really not. Bautista could be legit. Who knows. I just find it hard to believe in this day and age that a player can jump 38 home runs for a career season by simply changing scenery and a batting stance. You know who else was tested more than any other athlete and not caught(till the end)? Lance Armstrong... So to say it's ridiculous for a pro athlete to try to take advantage of a situation, especially after coming off a trade where he knew he had to perform for his new team or this could be it, is beyond ridiculous. It's rational. It's cautious. It's a safe thought. Call me a pessimist if you like, but I will never be fooled by a athlete as genuine Saint. Unless, you're Tim Tebow of course ;).

I'm not trying to crap on a Toronto fan favorite, I'm really not. Bautista could be legit. Who knows. I just find it hard to believe in this day and age that a player can jump 38 home runs for a career season by simply changing scenery and a batting stance. You know who else was tested more than any other athlete and not caught(till the end)? Lance Armstrong... So to say it's ridiculous for a pro athlete to try to take advantage of a situation, especially after coming off a trade where he knew he had to perform for his new team or this could be it, is beyond ridiculous. It's rational. It's cautious. It's a safe thought. Call me a pessimist if you like, but I will never be fooled by a athlete as genuine Saint. Unless, you're Tim Tebow of course ;).

Usually I would agree but look just how much his swing changed....there is so much more motion and whip created which is the explanation as to why his power numbers jumped so much...he also creates all this bat speed while "staying quiet"....in Baltimore he didn't generate that bat speed and didn't stay quiet....also Bautista is smart enough to know when they shift to relax and send it the other way.....he's a POS but a great hitter IMO

This video shows perfectly how he has handled the same pitch in Toronto differently than elsewhere

Edited by yikityyakirish

If it was one and done, then yes, I could see your point. But he's been in the top 7 for HR's in all of baseball 4 out of the last 6 years (2 he was not there were injury shortened and he still hit nearly 30 both years). He made a drastic mechanical change and has been good for closing in on a decade now. I get the tarnished rep of baseball players, but I gotta believe this guy raised every red flag ever made and passed every test they gave him

If it was one and done, then yes, I could see your point. But he's been in the top 7 for HR's in all of baseball 4 out of the last 6 years (2 he was not there were injury shortened and he still hit nearly 30 both years). He made a drastic mechanical change and has been good for closing in on a decade now. I get the tarnished rep of baseball players, but I gotta believe this guy raised every red flag ever made and passed every test they gave him

I don't want to keep going on steroids with Spring Training today. So, We'll have to agree to disagree :). Do you think they'll get a deal done with him? Also, do you guys have enough pitching? Because that lineup will be insane again. No question they have a good shot to win the East and be the AL representative in the World Series

I don't want to keep going on steroids with Spring Training today. So, We'll have to agree to disagree :). Do you think they'll get a deal done with him? Also, do you guys have enough pitching? Because that lineup will be insane again. No question they have a good shot to win the East and be the AL representative in the World Series

It's tough to say. A full season of Stroman really lessons the loss of Price (who is going to be great I think for 3 more years and then be an albatross of a contract). Estrada pitched great last year but his peripheral numbers worry me a bit. You know what you're going to get with Dickey (12-15 wins, 4+ ERA, 200+ innings....all in all a perfect 3-4 guy). I'm interested to see what Happ does....I think he could be a great signing. That leaves Sanchez, Hutchison, and Chavez for the 5th spot. In my heart I want to see Hutch have a bounce back year and move Sanchez to the pen for a lights out bullpen (Cecil, Sanchez, Storen, Osuna) but I think Sanchez wins the 5th, Storen moves to closer and they try to stretch Osuna out more so he can start next year.

I'm a full blown homer, I can admit it, but no team in the AL scares me this year. Honestly, I so badly want a Cubs-Jays WS so I'll be happy no matter who wins