Max Redfield - Let down or Harrison Smith 2.0

I'm still waiting on Redfield to anchor the back of the secondary. Other than Jaylon, he is the highest rated player out of high school we have. His athleticism is off the charts, yet he continues to miss tackles and not make an impact. (at least from what I can see as a fan) He had a clear chance for an interception against UVA and didn't come down with it and also got beat deep....

Harrison Smith didn't come on until his senior year...here's to hoping Max can do the same but turn it on a little earlier than Harrison did.

While we're at it- Let's talk Keivarae and Will Fuller.

Am I the only one that thinks that Keivarae's hype is not backed by his play? He has not exactly looked "shutdown" this year. Looking for more from him.

And lastly - Will Fuller. He is receiving all the praise right now and we probably would not have won vs UVA without him...he's king of the go route and can break a screen with proper blocking. But I also see him drop balls and not be a huge impact on intermediate routes...given the season is early. I suppose it feels like he is receiving Golden Tate like hype and Golden's all around play was most certainly worthy of it.

So: Lets hope we get more out of Max

And I definitely view Russell and Fuller as huge assets (imperative to the teams success for sure) but are they as good as the hype says?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Will Fuller really being questioned here after the first 2 games of the year?!?!

Not questioned - he has been the most effective player, but overhyped. That sounds contradictory, but he needs to show a more complete skill set before he deserves the award hype.

Having said that, I wanted to see what you all thought. I think Fuller is a tremendous asset and am more than thankful to have him as the go to guy.

I think Redfield and Shutmate played very well against Texas in limited opportunities. Redfield now has a broken finger and Shumate was great against the run against Virginia. I expect both to continue to get better as the season goes on.

Also, someone who hasn't been mentioned much who might just takes Jaylon's position next year when he's off torturing NFL players is Tranquill. Guy has looked fast and instinctive so far...again especially against the run.

I'm still waiting on Redfield to anchor the back of the secondary. Other than Jaylon, he is the highest rated player out of high school we have. His athleticism is off the charts, yet he continues to miss tackles and not make an impact. (at least from what I can see as a fan) He had a clear chance for an interception against UVA and didn't come down with it and also got beat deep....

Harrison Smith didn't come on until his senior year...here's to hoping Max can do the same but turn it on a little earlier than Harrison did.

While we're at it- Let's talk Keivarae and Will Fuller.

Am I the only one that thinks that Keivarae's hype is not backed by his play? He has not exactly looked "shutdown" this year. Looking for more from him.

And lastly - Will Fuller. He is receiving all the praise right now and we probably would not have won vs UVA without him...he's king of the go route and can break a screen with proper blocking. But I also see him drop balls and not be a huge impact on intermediate routes...given the season is early. I suppose it feels like he is receiving Golden Tate like hype and Golden's all around play was most certainly worthy of it.

So: Lets hope we get more out of Max

And I definitely view Russell and Fuller as huge assets (imperative to the teams success for sure) but are they as good as the hype says?

I think the issue with Russell is the scheme and shaking off some rust, still. The DBs haven't been in an aggressive press man scheme for TX and VA, they were mainly in soft cover 2 zone schemes. With TX, they had no QB, but against VA, I think the D still played a vanilla base defensive scheme. I would rather we see the D play aggressive press man coverage on the outside, ala MSU, and force the QB to make consistent good, long throws. I think the DBs would thrive in a scheme to allow them to be aggressive rather than sitting back and letting them dink and dunk where the guys want to be aggressive, but if they are, leave someone out to dry.

I think the issue with Russell is the scheme and shaking off some rust, still. The DBs haven't been in an aggressive press man scheme for TX and VA, they were mainly in soft cover 2 zone schemes. With TX, they had no QB, but against VA, I think the D still played a vanilla base defensive scheme. I would rather we see the D play aggressive press man coverage on the outside, ala MSU, and force the QB to make consistent good, long throws. I think the DBs would thrive in a scheme to allow them to be aggressive rather than sitting back and letting them dink and dunk where the guys want to be aggressive, but if they are, leave someone out to dry.

I think you'll see this starting with Clemson. We have yet to play a team with a great QB. However, I think they should have played this way against Virginia with all those jump balls Johns was throwing up.

He sure hasn't shown us much yet, hopefully like HS it all clicks in. Smith played some linebacker too though, that definetly slowed down his development as a safety.

I don't think it was a matter of it "clicking" for Smith. CW completely misused Smith and I really believe that CW's need "to just get him on the field" is what resulted in him being a late bloomer.

I have no reason to believe that Redfield will suddenly figure it all out. To me, he is closer to Zibby than he is to Smith.

Russell's problem has been fundamentals, got caught looking in the backfield. He just wants to make plays but needs to play more disciplined and just do his job. Russell is fine but I to wonder if he is just a tad overhyped by the nfl people. Maybe a second or third rounder instead of first.

I am not sure on max. Great talent but hasn't gotten it yet, if he turns into smith we are laughing. Smith was bad in 09 but had flashes, he shined in 2010 and 2011 so I can tell it was more mental. Max is nowhere near smith in toughness and tackling but is a better athlete so hopefully it all balances itself out.

Russell's problem has been fundamentals, got caught looking in the backfield. He just wants to make plays but needs to play more disciplined and just do his job. Russell is fine but I to wonder if he is just a tad overhyped by the nfl people. Maybe a second or third rounder instead of first.

I am not sure on max. Great talent but hasn't gotten it yet, if he turns into smith we are laughing. Smith was bad in 09 but had flashes, he shined in 2010 and 2011 so I can tell it was more mental. Max is nowhere near smith in toughness and tackling but is a better athlete so hopefully it all balances itself out.

Smith might be the best free safety in the NFL. Opinions vary but it's not a stretch to say. I would say he is the much better athlete.

Smith might be the best free safety in the NFL. Opinions vary but it's not a stretch to say. I would say he is the much better athlete.

Id say top 3, how he wasn't a pro bowler last year is beyond me. All that however doesn't mean he's a better athlete, think he runs a 4.55 and max is a 4.4 I believe. Now as a football player max can't touch smith.

Id say top 3, how he wasn't a pro bowler last year is beyond me. All that however doesn't mean he's a better athlete, think he runs a 4.55 and max is a 4.4 I believe. Now as a football player max can't touch smith.

I get what your saying...but speed is nowhere near the only thing that qualifies someone as an athlete. Redfield might be faster, but as an overall athlete I'd take Smith any day.