Prayer request

Thanks again and I appreciate the idea of a Gofundme but money won't be an issue and if I leave, I won't have a bank account. No, I just need to get things back on track.

It's a combination of alcohol abuse, relationship issues(partially stemming from that), partially because of a third party who never seems to go away and just a complete lack of structure within my wife's family that leads to extreme dysfunction and chaos on an ongoing basis. The only thing I truly have hte ability to change is myself and my environment. I'd rather start from the bottom up and be happy than remain in a toxic environment that affects me both mentally and physically.

In particular, I need to address the alcohol issue. I've been a drinker since the 70s but have had four particularly bad bouts with it since the late 80s. This current one, at my age, is my wake up call. The only way I've stopped it before was a change in environment and I know it's called for now.

You can do this. One day at a time. You have a great plan and we are all behind you Convert.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, guys. For what it's worth, I'm actually starting to look forward to it. Things have not been going well here for some time and it's time for a change.

It will be a minimum of one and a half weeks before I make the move, a maximum of two and a half weeks. I won't be able to use the internet for some time but I guarantee DD will be one of the first places I check in when I am able to.

Bonus: I shocked people around here by shaving my beard and mustache for the first time in over thirty years. I would need to make the change anyway so I said "Might as well get used to shaving now". I haven't shaved every day since I was in my late teens and this was the first time I have ever used an electric shaver. :-)

Thank you, guys. For what it's worth, I'm actually starting to look forward to it. Things have not been going well here for some time and it's time for a change.

It will be a minimum of one and a half weeks before I make the move, a maximum of two and a half weeks. I won't be able to use the internet for some time but I guarantee DD will be one of the first places I check in when I am able to.

Bonus: I shocked people around here by shaving my beard and mustache for the first time in over thirty years. I would need to make the change anyway so I said "Might as well get used to shaving now". I haven't shaved every day since I was in my late teens and this was the first time I have ever used an electric shaver. :-)

Ben Harper said it best when he said "Like a soldier standing long under fire, any change comes as a relief." Funny how that works. To be candid with you, I had a bad break with reality about a year ago and oddly enough the first thing I did was shave my head. When I came home I told my wife I just needed a change.

For me, bipolar meds were the answer to my problems, at least at the time and now I am upright and moving, not every day is great, but every day above ground is a good day. Not to be trite, nor to provoke the non-Christian or anti-Tebow types, but Phillipians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Let nothing delay you from getting to the things that you know will heal you. When you feel resolved act before the resolution wanes.

We are all pulling for you and I can promise you each of us has struggled with addiction. Some of us have seen it kill relatives and destroy families (I lost my father to drug and alcohol addiction) and some of us have been in the shoes of the destroyer (I personally battled alcohol addiction for quite some time and still tread lightly). You are assuredly not alone, though. I think it takes a lot of courage to come here like this and be real about your struggles. It opens the door for other people to share their real struggles as well.

Dave - Good luck on your path. Congratulations on having the strength and courage to choose change. Alcoholism is a life-long struggle that can be controlled with support. May God provide you the fortitude and staying power to overcome.

Many prayers and thoughts your way.

On a side note, I shaved my beard I hadn't touched in 4 months and everyone was shocked. I can't imagine the reactions you've gotten after 30 years!

Thanks, 97. I've had issues with it off an on for decades and while 90% of the time I've been nothing more than a social drinker, that 10% where I become dependent on it to function is the monkey on my back. He's hopped up and down 3 or 4 times over the years and since I am making a break with my better half and starting from scratch, I'll need a place to stay and the counseling I will finally receive will be killing two birds with one stone.

I'm actually leaning towards the SA in South Bend now, simply because I have already established residency in Indiana and that may simplify things after my time in the SA program is over.

While I do have family in Iowa, they aren't *that* close to where I would end up and I do have contact with some people around here. It would save me having to coordinate a bus trip to Iowa, shipping personal belongings to some people and will probably make for a smoother transition.

• 2 months later...

So...

I didn't end up at the Salvation Army which is probably a blessing in disguise because it's merging with the one in Gary.

I've gotten a handle on things and a situation here at home which helped trigger my issue has been more or less resolved. My head is back on straight, my priorities are in order and I'm embarking on a new path. I still thank everyone for their support.

That said, I would like to request another prayer for someone else. He runs a Notre Dame fan Facebook page and was just diagnosed with cancer in as far as I know, one of his lymph nodes.

His name is Mark Kevin Allen and the page is called Domer Sports Report. If you are so inclined, you can wish him well there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/domersportsrept/500025056830499/?notif_t=group_comment_reply