Deflategate

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree TB is overrated and mostly a product of Belicheats system but Peyton Manning is the most overrated QB of al time. All regular season flash and no post season sizzle.
Are you serious? He's taken New England to 6 of the last 14 Super Bowls. I can't stand New England but will be the first to say the dude is awesome. Yeah spygate and now this deflategate are a bunch of crap, but the dude still is a great.

lol. Tom Brady is overrated. lololololol.

a career spent with second-rate WRs and RBs.

has he ever played with any hall of fame skill position guys besides randy moss?

(welker is arguable but if tim brown isnt in how the eff is welker in).

Gronk, Welker, Moss, Hernandez was on his way until he started murdering people.

It helps when you steal the other teams signs, film their practices, and deflate the bals so your own receivers can catch the ball easier.

Brady got beat out by a freshman named Drew Hensen at Mich. when he was a Senior. He has only had success under Belicheat.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great QB. I just don't think he is top 5 all time like many claim.

Gronk, Welker, Moss, Hernandez was on his way until he started murdering people.

It helps when you steal the other teams signs, film their practices, and deflate the bals so your own receivers can catch the ball easier.

Brady got beat out by a freshman named Drew Hensen at Mich. when he was a Senior. He has only had success under Belicheat.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great QB. I just don't think he is top 5 all time like many claim.

What he did at Michigan has nothing to do with his NFL success. Yes, spygate was an advantage but other teams were doing it. He also went onto led the Patriots now to 3 super bowl appearances post spygate. In 2007, he would have let them to the "perfect" season albeit one "once in a million" play from David Tyree. Dude is clutch and gets it done. Belicheck's "spygate" and "deflategate" don't take away how good of a player Brady is.

Gronk' date=' Welker, Moss, Hernandez was on his way until he started murdering people.

Rocket. when you say things like this, I can't listen to your claims about Brady.

He is easily one of top 5 QBs of all time. SIX SUPER BOWLS.

What he did at Michigan has nothing to do with his NFL success. Yes, spygate was an advantage but other teams were doing it. He also went onto led the Patriots now to 3 super bowl appearances post spygate. In 2007, he would have let them to the "perfect" season albeit one "once in a million" play from David Tyree. Dude is clutch and gets it done. Belicheck's "spygate" and "deflategate" don't take away how good of a player Brady is.

So a QB that that has Randy Moss and Wes Welker as his starting WR's gets sacked 5 times and is only leading by 4 points in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl against a 10-6 Giants team that barely made the playoffs is "clutch" and "gets it done"? Interesting....

Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl since spygate.

Here is a little more information showing how much of a difference deflated balls make and gives you an idea how long the NE Patriots have been doing it.

(LINK)

I looked at the last five years of data and examined total fumbles lost in all games (as well as fumbles per game) and, more importantly, total offensive plays run. Thus, I was able to determine average plays per fumble lost. The results are displayed in the chart above. Keep in mind, this is for all games since 2010.

One can clearly see the Patriots, visually, are off the chart. There is no other team even close to being near to their rate of 187 offensive plays per fumble lost. The league average is 105 plays per fumble lost. Most teams are within 21 plays of that number.

I spoke with a data scientist whom I know from work on NFLproject.com and sent him the data. He said:

Based on the assumption that fumbles per play follow a normal distribution, you’d expect to see, according to random fluctuation, the results that the Patriots have gotten over this period, once in 16,233.77 instances.

Which in layman’s terms means that this result only being a coincidence, is like winning a raffle where you have a 0.0000616 probability to win. [in] other words, it’s very unlikely that it’s a coincidence.

I actually went back and researched five-year periods for the entire NFL over the last 25 years. The Patriots’ ratio of 187 plays to 1 fumble lost is the best of any team in the NFL for any five-year span of time over the last 25 years

There are a few key takeaways. First and foremost, the 187 plays per fumble lost dwarfs even the rest of the best seasons of the last 25 years. Second, the Patriots have been at the top of the NFL since 2007.

Ironically, as my study on Wednesday showed, the Patriots’ performance in wet weather home games mysteriously turned ridiculous starting in 2007. In 2006, they went 0–2. From 2007 onward, they went 14–1.

But in 2007, something happened to propel them to a much better rate. (You’ll remember, that just so happened to be the same year they went 16–0 in the regular season.) But even looking at these numbers, it’s clear how insane the 187 number is: They are almost running 100 more plays without a single fumble as compared with the 2002–2006 period when they won two of their three Super Bowls.

Could the Patriots be so good that they just defy the numbers? As my friend theorized: Perhaps they’ve invented a revolutionary in-house way to protect the ball, or perhaps they’ve intentionally stocked their skill positions with players who don’t have a propensity to fumble. Or perhaps, still, they call plays that intentionally result in a lower percentage of fumbles. Or maybe it’s just that they play with deflated footballs on offense. It could be any combination of the above.

But regardless of what, specifically, is causing these numbers, the fact remains: This is an extremely abnormal occurrence and is not simply random fluctuation.

If all the teams were doing it don't you think NE data would be in line with the rest of the NFL? You think decreased % of fumbles and extra offensive possesions make a difference in game outcomes?

:confused: