Debate: Atheist vs Christian

http://youtu.be/vg7p1BjP2dA

Enjoy the video.

I'm in the Sam group.

He argues that mankind should not expect to survive its religious differences indefinitely and cautions that the combination of iron age beliefs about god and the afterlife with 21st century destructive technology is a bad one to say the least. He also argues that the subject of religion gets a pass in contemporary civil discourse and this double standard is one of the many things driving us towards the brink because it is considered taboo to questions someone's religious beliefs no matter how dangerous they might be.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to watch this...started watching at 58 minute mark based on comments and seemed interesting before I stopped. I like the ND hosts these types of events event though it's a Catholic school. I also recently watched "The Unbelievers" documentary on Netflix with scientists Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss. Some interesting points mainly on two topics (1) how something can be created from nothing which they mention but didn't explain well enough for me and (2) how to account for the emptiness or depression people feel when they begin to realize God/religion is fake. But the tone of the documentary was more critical "i'm smart and you're an idiot for believing in God" which kind of turned me off. I prefer them to just present their arguments and let me decide. But I guess all documentaries are skewed.

As a lifelong catholic I'm in the limbo stage between believing in God and and being an atheist. So I guess you call that agnostic? A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

But the tone of the documentary was more critical "i'm smart and you're an idiot for believing in God" which kind of turned me off. I prefer them to just present their arguments and let me decide. But I guess all documentaries are skewed.

That is usually what turns me off when an atheist starts "debating" this topic, they always seem to make it personal and basically call me foolish to believe what I believe. I usually just tune out when they start that stuff.

I dont like forcing anyone to believe one thing or another. I am actually pretty private about my religion, I consider it a personal thing. I dont feel the need to tell everyone what I believe and what they should believe.

As a lifelong catholic I'm in the limbo stage between believing in God and and being an atheist. So I guess you call that agnostic? A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Yes, that would be agnostic.

As a lifelong Catholic myself, I understand and accept the science in this debate, but I dont think people need to choose between the two. "Truth Cannot Contradict Truth Doctrine" by Pope John Paul II sums up my views on the subject. I believe the Catholic Church is doing the right things, especially with the new Pope.

As a lifelong Catholic myself, I understand and accept the science in this debate, but I dont think people need to choose between the two. "Truth Cannot Contradict Truth Doctrine" by Pope John Paul II sums up my views on the subject. I believe the Catholic Church is doing the right things, especially with the new Pope.

I hear many religious representatives present a similar argument regarding modern theology. Religion is evolving. Why would the truly inspired word of God go through this metamorphosis?

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Revelation 22:18-19 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

My issue with religion, not God, is how it changes to suit the discussion. I would rather a religious person stand on his/her beliefs literally as God commands.

Revelation 3:15-16 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Edited by indyirishdad

I believe in a fair and just GOD. But I can't bring myself to believe a lot of what is said in religious books such as the bible. A lot of what is in these texts is written by man, and not just any man, kings and such to install their own philosophies on the peasants. The King James bible is a complete joke. 21 of the kings men "transcribed" original texts.

I hear many religious representatives present a similar argument regarding modern theology. Religion is evolving. Why would the truly inspired word of God go through this metamorphosis?

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Revelation 22:18-19 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

My issue with religion, not God, is how it changes to suit the discussion. I would rather a religious person stand on his/her beliefs literally as God commands.

Revelation 3:15-16 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

The other thing I dislike is when atheists quote the Bible to prove their points... It is hypocritical in its very nature.

The Bible, in my opinion, is not to be taken literally. It was written by men, inspired by God, in a much different time than now. It can evolve, if you dont think so, then that is your belief, but dont tell me what to believe.

The other thing I dislike is when atheists quote the Bible to prove their points... It is hypocritical in its very nature.

The Bible, in my opinion, is not to be taken literally. It was written by men, inspired by God, in a much different time than now. It can evolve, if you dont think so, then that is your belief, but dont tell me what to believe.

I'm not Hoosier. Just talking. For the record, I'm not an atheist. :-)

The other thing that annoys me about Atheists (not calling anyone out here) is that they seem to shove their non-beliefs in your face as much if not more than religions. For example, in the Chicago Daley Plaza we have a nativity scene, Christmas tree and Christkindlmarket with traditional German shops and trinkets. Just to be a d*** the Atheists insisted on putting up a lit up red A that looks like a scarlet letter because they felt "left out". No one can argue cause the Daley Plaza is a public facility but c'mon...Christmas makes everyone happier with the lights, decorations, etc. No one wants to see that red A s***

The other thing that annoys me about Atheists (not calling anyone out here) is that they seem to shove their non-beliefs in your face as much if not more than religions. For example, in the Chicago Daley Plaza we have a nativity scene, Christmas tree and Christkindlmarket with traditional German shops and trinkets. Just to be a d*** the Atheists insisted on putting up a lit up red A that looks like a scarlet letter because they felt "left out". No one can argue cause the Daley Plaza is a public facility but c'mon...Christmas makes everyone happier with the lights, decorations, etc. No one wants to see that red A s***

yeah because there are no Christians who shove their beliefs down your throat. :facepalm: I do think its funny Christians actually think the christmas season originated around the birth of jesus. Not many christians know about the pagan gods and traditions that predate christianity which is the whole reason we celebrate the winter solstice. Christians basically piggy backed onto these existing celebrations.

Dawkins is smart but you have to take his attitude out of the equation he's a douche bag.

The Bible, in my opinion, is not to be taken literally. It was written by very unenlightend chauvinistic savages , inspired by greed/power, in a much different time than now. It can't evolve, because evolution is a myth if you dont think so, then that is your belief, but dont tell me what to believe.

i fixed that for you

Not an atheist (I'm personally agnostic), but have you seen the christian street preachers on the edge of the campus during game days with their signs? It's not just at Notre Dame that folks like that are doing this btw. No one wants to see that s*** either.

I agree that the militant/activist atheists are a blight to society, but so are religious ones (christian, muslim, etc.) - and to my eye, there seem to be more of the latter than the former.

that's why I said "as much if not more."

I just tend to see...or at least notice...the atheist message being more negative than positive. Like billboards where it says "God is Not Real" or the scarlet letter A in the middle of a christmas plaza (and only during christmas season). If you want to be atheist fine...but change the tone of your message and leave people's religious traditions alone.

Not an atheist (I'm personally agnostic), but have you seen the christian street preachers on the edge of the campus during game days with their signs? It's not just at Notre Dame that folks like that are doing this btw. No one wants to see that s*** either.

I agree that the militant/activist atheists are a blight to society, but so are religious ones (christian, muslim, etc.) - and to my eye, there seem to be more of the latter than the former.

I remember a couple guys who did that at my college. They were doing it trying to get someone to attack them because they were lawyers and were going to sue anyone who tried to assault them or threaten them. Screwed up stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in Jesus Christ the son of God who died for our sins so we can have an eternal relationship and salvation. Everyone else is free to believe what they want, that was the point of Genesis. God gave everyone free will to do and believe as they see fit.

No need to be a d**k about it. If you feel left out at this time of year get a tree and go buy someone some presents. I am pretty sure they don't check your Church membership or give a Bible quiz to celebrate Christmas.

I believe in God.

Whatever people of different faiths believe in is OK with me.

But to me there IS a supreme being who started life.

I don't believe we have "evolved" from nothing due to luck.

I believe that there is NO one correct way to honor or believe in God...however it is done is fine...but there is a God.

Great topic.

that's why I said "as much if not more."

I just tend to see...or at least notice...the atheist message being more negative than positive. Like billboards where it says "God is Not Real" or the scarlet letter A in the middle of a christmas plaza (and only during christmas season). If you want to be atheist fine...but change the tone of your message and leave people's religious traditions alone.

if you want to be a christian fine... but don't assume everybody likes seeing christian symbols on public property.

if you want to be a christian fine... but don't assume everybody likes seeing christian symbols on public property.

Why? If you are an atheist who cares what people wear or display? This is what I don't understand. I have to see USC stickers on the back of cars all day but I don't lose my s**t and run them off the road.

If a soldier wants to be buried under a cross how does that hurt you? How does seeing a cross at a courthouse hurt you? Most of these monuments don't come out of your pocket, they are generally privately funded.

If someone loses a loved one and puts a cross on the roadside, what does that do to you?

If a group of people lose their loved ones and want to erect a memorial where it happened and they elect to have a cross or a Bible what difference does it make to you?

This is what I don't understand. If we are all ignorant savages, what difference does it make if we have crosses, bibles, etc... displayed in public? How does it harm the atheist to see a symbol of someone else's faith? I don't go Richter when I see a story about the Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or start gnashing my teeth when another religion wants to put up their symbols of devotion to whoever they worship, I just appreciate the fact that (for now) we live in a country founded on the idea of religious freedom.

I served from 1995 to 2003 in the US Army to protect those freedoms. My father, grandfather and both uncles served as well.

So explain to me how it is offensive to you, who believes in no religion, to see a symbol of someone else's faith? Do you get rankled by the Easter Bunny and assault store Santas as well?

You need to move to a different country then. Christianity is the dominant religion in the United States. 80% of the population (if not more) should not be hindered by the minority.

What I do find funny is this, this is a billboard:

http://wric.images.worldnow.com/images/6093815_G.png

Not sure why there is even an organization. Atheism is the absence of religion, not a religion itself. Just like black is not a color, it is the absence of color.