Smoked turkey?

tj4ndirish

Ok, maybe not quite as big of a fail as I thought. Finished it in the over for 1 1/2 hours and it came out moist and yummy. Wife loved, gave some to neighbor's family and they loved it. Wife wants me to do it for Thanksgiving. So, guess I'll have to figure out how to keep the temp up.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, maybe not quite as big of a fail as I thought. Finished it in the over for 1 1/2 hours and it came out moist and yummy. Wife loved, gave some to neighbor's family and they loved it. Wife wants me to do it for Thanksgiving. So, guess I'll have to figure out how to keep the temp up.

if you have a stainless steel smoker, i am guessing its a drum. Google the minion method. A fellow named Jim Minion invented it. Its where you get a chimney of coals or lump charcoal burning then spread all the coals out so that there is a hole in the middle for where the lit charcoal will go. once the charcoal in the chimney are white dump them in the middle of the unlit coals. This will allow the initial heat to develop while slowing spreading to the other unlit coals over time. This will allow me to do brisket and pork butts for up 24 hrs. I did a tri tip the other day for 2 hrs. I forgot to snuff it out and when i go home from work the next day my smoker was at 225.

Good luck don't give up. Smoking is all trial and error. PM me if you have any other questions i will walk you through it.

if you have a stainless steel smoker, i am guessing its a drum. Google the minion method. A fellow named Jim Minion invented it. Its where you get a chimney of coals or lump charcoal burning then spread all the coals out so that there is a hole in the middle for where the lit charcoal will go. once the charcoal in the chimney are white dump them in the middle of the unlit coals. This will allow the initial heat to develop while slowing spreading to the other unlit coals over time. This will allow me to do brisket and pork butts for up 24 hrs. I did a tri tip the other day for 2 hrs. I forgot to snuff it out and when i go home from work the next day my smoker was at 225.

Good luck don't give up. Smoking is all trial and error. PM me if you have any other questions i will walk you through it.

Thanks for the response forever............no, it's not a drum. It's a box, not the tall boxes they have now, it's just small. Big enough to put a 9x13 baking dish in it. When I say home made, I mean, it was fabricated from flat sheets of metal. I'll try to post pics tonight. There are air holes just above the coals and a chimney.

I smoked some wings this weekend and it just never stayed hot enough to cook them fully. Ended up in the oven for 30 minutes, but still really good wings.

I'll have to find one of the chimneys, I was trying to be cheap and not buy one, but......

How much charcoal should I use? I was putting like 3lbs or so (guessing) for the turkey and adding as needed.

bacon with brown sugar rub. i also put some bacon and brown sugar in a blender with apple juice and also injected that.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/alesko769/IMG_0490_zps6b4f5d3b.jpg

Did you put the rub on the turkey first then bacon and then more rub? I put rub then bacon only. Still turned out (after putting it in the oven) really moist and tasty.

The brine is crucial also try a mustard sorghum mop.

This is really good. It consist

Of

1/4 Apple cider

1 tbs cider vinegar

2 tbs olive oil

3 tbs Mustard

2 tbs Honey

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

2 dashes of hot sauce

Pinch of salt

If you want more just double the Recipe...triple etc..

It is great I did it on to turkey breast as a experiment and it was the best turkey I every had it was so moist. Just based throughout the smoke.

The brine is crucial also try a mustard sorghum mop.

This is really good. It consist

Of

1/4 Apple cider

1 tbs cider vinegar

2 tbs olive oil

3 tbs Mustard

2 tbs Honey

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

2 dashes of hot sauce

Pinch of salt

If you want more just double the Recipe...triple etc..

It is great I did it on to turkey breast as a experiment and it was the best turkey I every had it was so moist. Just based throughout the smoke.

I could see that mop sauce being good on anything... thanks for posting it!