Smoked turkey?

tj4ndirish

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone done one? I want to do a practice one this weekend and would like some info from first hand experience.

Thanks

What I can tell you is to protect the drumstick ends with aluminum foil and to slather mustard all over the bird before applying your rub....creates a bark-like crispy exterior.

I like to use apple wood chips for turkey....

What I can tell you is to protect the drumstick ends with aluminum foil and to slather mustard all over the bird before applying your rub....creates a bark-like crispy exterior.

I like to use apple wood chips for turkey....

Listen to this man. He knows the way of the smoker. My buddy made your pork shoulder/pulled pork recipe.. Great.:grin:

So I should brine it for a day?

I am just starting to try smoking and on almost everything, I've done the mustard thing to help the rub stick.

I want to try echo's pulled pork recipe one day, when I remember to write it down and don't have to fight to find it on here :)

Tenacious, did you use a rub or just the bacon?

I am just starting to try smoking and on almost everything, I've done the mustard thing to help the rub stick.

I want to try echo's pulled pork recipe one day, when I remember to write it down and don't have to fight to find it on here :)

it's in the smoker thread...

It can sit in the brine for 12-24 hours. Just make sure you thoroughly dry the bird before applying your mustard and rub. You probably want to leave the bird out of the fridge for awhile to allow it to come closer to room temp.

I used this recipe last year and it was gone before the regular turkey. It was some of the best Turkey I've ever eaten. My wife took the carcass/leftovers and made turkey stock out of it. The little bit of spice in it was awesome for soup or other recipes later.

The best thing about smoking a turkey, is that you get to stand outside away from all the crazy family members and drink beer with the guys while 'cooking'...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/smoked-turkey-recipe/reviews/index.html

Ingredients

•Kosher salt

•1/2 cup red pepper flakes

•2 cloves garlic, smashed

•2 jalapeno peppers, sliced

•1 13-pound turkey (neck and giblets removed)

•1 tablespoon chili powder

•1 tablespoon ground coriander

•2 teaspoons ground cumin

•1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar

•1 teaspoon garlic powder

•1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

•1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

•Freshly ground pepper

•2 tablespoons mayonnaise

•1 pound sliced applewood-smoked bacon or guanciale

Directions

Make the brine: Combine 1 cup salt, the red pepper flakes, garlic, jalapenos and 2 quarts hot water in a large bucket or pot, stirring to dissolve the salt. Add the turkey, breast-side down, then add enough cold water so the turkey is fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours. Drain the turkey, rinse and pat dry.

Soak 2 large bags each mesquite and applewood chips in water, 1 hour. Meanwhile, make the spice blend: Combine the chili powder, coriander, cumin, brown sugar, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, 1 tablespoon salt and 2 teaspoons pepper in a bowl. Loosen the skin of the turkey breast with your fingers, then rub the mayonnaise under the skin. Rub the spice blend all over the outside of the bird. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large disposable roasting pan. Lay three-quarters of the bacon over the breast, overlapping the slices, and secure in several spots with toothpicks. Wrap the legs with the remaining bacon, securing it with toothpicks.

Drain the wood chips. Prepare a smoker according to the manufacturer's instructions, using the soaked wood chips; preheat to 210 degrees F. (Or use a grill and put the wood chips in a smoker box under the grates; preheat to low.) Put the turkey in the disposable pan on the smoker or grill grates; cover and cook 6 to 7 hours, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 190 degrees F. Add a few handfuls of soaked wood chips every hour to maintain the smoke. If the bacon is browning too quickly, loosely cover the turkey with foil.

Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest 30 minutes. Remove the bacon and carve the turkey. Chop the bacon and sprinkle on top, if desired.

bacon with brown sugar rub. i also put some bacon and brown sugar in a blender with apple juice and also injected that.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/alesko769/IMG_0490_zps6b4f5d3b.jpg

Edited by Tenacious_ND

bacon with brown sugar rub. i also put some bacon and brown sugar in a blender with apple juice and also injected that.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/alesko769/IMG_0490_zps6b4f5d3b.jpg

Looks gorgeous. Went to university with a guy that would eat an entire package of raw bacon for $20.

hey buddy, yes to the mustard trick that echo said and the apple wood. DO NOT SMOKE A BIRD BIGGER THAN 10LBS! It is very dangerous to smoke a bird bigger than that. When you smoke a bird bigger than that the temp stays in the danger zone for too long. that is 70-130 that is when bacteria will grow causing food poisioning and other terrible things. I know people who do big birds in a smoker and they are just playing with fire. Be responisble you dont want to be the person who gets someone sick.

Do this for a brine

4- 64oz Cranberry juice bottles

1 cup of kosher salt

2 cups of brown sugar

and lots of ice.

The bird will come out red wash off, mustard then rub then smoke.

hey buddy, yes to the mustard trick that echo said and the apple wood. DO NOT SMOKE A BIRD BIGGER THAN 10LBS! It is very dangerous to smoke a bird bigger than that. When you smoke a bird bigger than that the temp stays in the danger zone for too long. that is 70-130 that is when bacteria will grow causing food poisioning and other terrible things. I know people who do big birds in a smoker and they are just playing with fire. Be responisble you dont want to be the person who gets someone sick.

Do this for a brine

1 cup of kosher salt

2 cups of brown sugar

and lots of ice.

oh im trying that brine as soon as i get back.....thanks!

I used this recipe last year and it was gone before the regular turkey. It was some of the best Turkey I've ever eaten. My wife took the carcass/leftovers and made turkey stock out of it. The little bit of spice in it was awesome for soup or other recipes later.

The best thing about smoking a turkey, is that you get to stand outside away from all the crazy family members and drink beer with the guys while 'cooking'...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/smoked-turkey-recipe/reviews/index.html

Ingredients

•Kosher salt

•1/2 cup red pepper flakes

•2 cloves garlic, smashed

•2 jalapeno peppers, sliced

•1 13-pound turkey (neck and giblets removed)

•1 tablespoon chili powder

•1 tablespoon ground coriander

•2 teaspoons ground cumin

•1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar

•1 teaspoon garlic powder

•1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

•1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

•Freshly ground pepper

•2 tablespoons mayonnaise

•1 pound sliced applewood-smoked bacon or guanciale

Directions

Make the brine: Combine 1 cup salt, the red pepper flakes, garlic, jalapenos and 2 quarts hot water in a large bucket or pot, stirring to dissolve the salt. Add the turkey, breast-side down, then add enough cold water so the turkey is fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours. Drain the turkey, rinse and pat dry.

Soak 2 large bags each mesquite and applewood chips in water, 1 hour. Meanwhile, make the spice blend: Combine the chili powder, coriander, cumin, brown sugar, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, 1 tablespoon salt and 2 teaspoons pepper in a bowl. Loosen the skin of the turkey breast with your fingers, then rub the mayonnaise under the skin. Rub the spice blend all over the outside of the bird. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large disposable roasting pan. Lay three-quarters of the bacon over the breast, overlapping the slices, and secure in several spots with toothpicks. Wrap the legs with the remaining bacon, securing it with toothpicks.

Drain the wood chips. Prepare a smoker according to the manufacturer's instructions, using the soaked wood chips; preheat to 210 degrees F. (Or use a grill and put the wood chips in a smoker box under the grates; preheat to low.) Put the turkey in the disposable pan on the smoker or grill grates; cover and cook 6 to 7 hours, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 190 degrees F. Add a few handfuls of soaked wood chips every hour to maintain the smoke. If the bacon is browning too quickly, loosely cover the turkey with foil.

Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest 30 minutes. Remove the bacon and carve the turkey. Chop the bacon and sprinkle on top, if desired.

I'm trying this recipe Have the turkey soaking now. will let you know tomorrow how it turns out. Wish me luck!!

Do this for a brine

1 cup of kosher salt

2 cups of brown sugar

and lots of ice.

My buddy wants to smoke a turkey in the next couple weeks, I gave him this brine to try. Sounds really interesting!

Do this for a brine

1 cup of kosher salt

2 cups of brown sugar

and lots of ice.

^^THIS!!!^^

I have used this brine for the past few years (foreverirish34 turned me on to it) and it has been awesome. Final product is a moist (everyone's favorite word) bird with a hint of cranberry and apple smoke.

Well it was a fail. 7 hours plus and couldn't get temp over 130. In oven now. I have a stainless steel smoker that my grandfather had made years ago, can't keep the temp up on it. GRRR

that's a bummer....might be a tad cold outside to keep the temp up in that steel contraption....don't give up.....try when its warmer....