Kelly got a Bonus in 2012

Head FB coach at ND is as difficult a job as there is in the coaching profession. On top of that, ND pays our coaches what appears as poverty wages compared to what the rest of the colleges pay their coaches.

It's no wonder that when ND starts their coaching search that they can't interest anyone other than coaches with no HC experience, lazy coaches, or a bunch of Div ll coaches like we've had these past 4 years.

Head FB coach at ND is as difficult a job as there is in the coaching profession. On top of that, ND pays our coaches what appears as poverty wages compared to what the rest of the colleges pay their coaches.

It's no wonder that when ND starts their coaching search that they can't interest anyone other than coaches with no HC experience, lazy coaches, or a bunch of Div ll coaches like we've had these past 4 years.

I disagree..I think the job stirred interest but the counter offers were always too good (UF, Oklahoma easier to recruit academically). BK's proving you can win here and I think it's more attractive now than ever since Holtz left.

BK runs the program like a CEO and it's modernized the program completely. Swarbrick supports him and as an alum can probably push the envelope easier than an outsider to get improvements made.

I disagree..I think the job stirred interest but the counter offers were always too good (UF, Oklahoma easier to recruit academically). QUOTE]

So, you think Stoops wouldn't have a problem giving up a 75 to 80% pay cut to coach at ND?

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of Stoop's assistants made more than Kelly has the past four years.

Yea, 8-4 is a winning record but I wouldn't exactly call it "winning at ND"

So, you think Stoops wouldn't have a problem giving up a 75 to 80% pay cut to coach at ND?

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of Stoop's assistants made more than Kelly has the past four years.

you seriously think ND offered him that type of pay cut?

2012 wasn't 8-4 Kelly. I believe that season changed his contract (and his assistants) a bit.

I'm sure his base salary was much higher than that. We'd have a hard time finding a good coach if we weren't even willing to pony up a million a year for one.. I've heard and read that since ND is a private institution they don't have to report what they're paying a HC like other schools do and that's why ND's reported salaries are always much lower than other schools. I just can't believe Kelly's salary is around 700k. There's dozens of schools that would give him 4-5 million a year

Edited by Shamrocker

I disagree..I think the job stirred interest but the counter offers were always too good (UF, Oklahoma easier to recruit academically). QUOTE]

8-4??? In the last two years we won 12 and 9 games respectively despite loosing our top two quarterbacks in 2013. That is an average of 10.5 wins and we are getting stronger every year. Every team has injuries and problems. Look at USC. Heck, Alabama is on a two game losing streak. Let's not knock success. Just wait till these next few years play out with our loaded roster. Oh, by the way, our schedule is the toughest in the country. We are extremely successful and spiraling upwards.

2013 Records

USC 10-4

Notre Dame 9-4

Both won their bowl games in barely watchable matchups.

USC is my dark horse this year.....the one thing kiff did was recruit.....they get an efficient coaching staff in there and they can run the PAC 12...I'm really excited for this year due to our schedule and talent....notre dame has a ton of potential to be great on offense...get some momentum going and it could end up getting us in the tourney...hopefully the D can pick up the new Scheme quickly.....few freshman step up at key positions and this can be a special season

Hmm, let's see the 1 years in his tenure at ND where Rees wasn't the starting QB he went to the title game. I know ND had an amazing defense, but you couldn't tell me ND doesn't go to a BCS game last year with Golson. They should have beat a below avg Michigan team, Pitt, and who knows, they played Stanford hard in Palo Alto, and the early tos vs. Oklahoma were killer.

I don't mean to rag on Rees, he was never recruited to be a starting QB, much less someone who would start 3/4 years at ND. And tbh, if Rees wasn't around, they might not have won more than 4 games last year. If anything Hendrix was the bigger disappointment, and by a WIDE margin.

Hmm, let's see the 1 years in his tenure at ND where Rees wasn't the starting QB he went to the title game. I know ND had an amazing defense, but you couldn't tell me ND doesn't go to a BCS game last year with Golson. They should have beat a below avg Michigan team, Pitt, and who knows, they played Stanford hard in Palo Alto, and the early tos vs. Oklahoma were killer.

I don't mean to rag on Rees, he was never recruited to be a starting QB, much less someone who would start 3/4 years at ND. And tbh, if Rees wasn't around, they might not have won more than 4 games last year. If anything Hendrix was the bigger disappointment, and by a WIDE margin.

you are correct. the games we lost usually contained big swings due to some untimely interceptions by our guy TR. but his ceiling was what it was. he was giving it his all every week. and you can't fault him for that.

i've said it before that golson gives the opportunity to move the chains in other ways besides just handing off or passing. more downs mean more TOP, means less time defense is on field, theoretically.

it is frustrating to me to know we had a very solid team, not amazing beyond belief, but if ND had Winston or Cam Newton or any type of game-changing QB (even Golson) it is NO STRETCH to see us going 11-1 or 12-0 last year.

you are correct. the games we lost usually contained big swings due to some untimely interceptions by our guy TR. but his ceiling was what it was. he was giving it his all every week. and you can't fault him for that.

i've said it before that golson gives the opportunity to move the chains in other ways besides just handing off or passing. more downs mean more TOP, means less time defense is on field, theoretically.

it is frustrating to me to know we had a very solid team, not amazing beyond belief, but if ND had Winston or Cam Newton or any type of game-changing QB (even Golson) it is NO STRETCH to see us going 11-1 or 12-0 last year.

I think they win at least 10 games last yr with Golson.

I tip my hat to your post. That's 2. Honestly though. Spot on. More of this .