VA Benefits Fraud

echo88

You do not have to be in direct contact with bullets or have witnessed someone die to have PTSD. Some may be milking the system, but that is not a valid argument to make that there was not direct contact. Being exposed is enough (hearing gun shots all the time, seeing dead bodies, ect). In fact studies have been done on natural disasters found that people direct highly impacted and people minimally impacted had higher rates of PTSD than people moderately impacted.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do not have to be in direct contact with bullets or have witnessed someone die to have PTSD. Some may be milking the system, but that is not a valid argument to make that there was not direct contact. Being exposed is enough (hearing gun shots all the time, seeing dead bodies, ect). In fact studies have been done on natural disasters found that people direct highly impacted and people minimally impacted had higher rates of PTSD than people moderately impacted.

Those examples you list are not the people Im talking about. There are military personnel who have never been anywhere near fighting, casualties, or even left the comfort of their base who are claiming PTSD. And they represent the overwhelming majority. In the example I gave, you have someone who claims to suffer the effects of combat (if you want to call it that) who willfully volunteers as a civilian to return.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ptsd-disability-20140804-story.html#page=1

Edited by echo88

I just read an article on former prez Bush receiving 100k for speaking at a veterans function to raise money for vets. Also had a 200,000 jet take him to this place. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this Echo?

It was to raise money for vets. Am I missing something? They pay rock bands more than that to play at morale events.

Sounds like a 200k jet already owned by someone was used for the ride.

Echo,

I hear ya bro, but it's a different world now. No sense of pride in being self sufficient now. I remember when my dad came home from Vietnam in '69 (silver star, bronze star, CIB). He left the military and just missed the police academy start up. It meant a 6 month wait before another class started. In the meantime, his military benefits hadn't begun, so no work...no pay. A neighbor told him to just apply for unemployment benefits until the next police academy started. My father literally got up, grabbed the guy by the arm, and pushed him out the front door...while loudly saying something like (I can't remember exactly), "Do you think I need a handout!, do you think I'm a bum!"

I never remember that neighbor ever crossing our doorstep again, and unemployment benefits are something that you actually pay in to, so it's not welfare, but my dad didn't care. It used to be an insult to get a check from Uncle Sam when you were really work able. Now, it's a source of pride. Bizarro world, my friend.

Echo,

I hear ya bro, but it's a different world now. No sense of pride in being self sufficient now. I remember when my dad came home from Vietnam in '69 (silver star, bronze star, CIB). He left the military and just missed the police academy start up. It meant a 6 month wait before another class started. In the meantime, his military benefits hadn't begun, so no work...no pay. A neighbor told him to just apply for unemployment benefits until the next police academy started. My father literally got up, grabbed the guy by the arm, and pushed him out the front door...while loudly saying something like (I can't remember exactly), "Do you think I need a handout!, do you think I'm a bum!"

I never remember that neighbor ever crossing our doorstep again, and unemployment benefits are something that you actually pay in to, so it's not welfare, but my dad didn't care. It used to be an insult to get a check from Uncle Sam when you were really work able. Now, it's a source of pride. Bizarro world, my friend.

Yep, and what you're describing is something I detailed back when I first created this thread. The guys I know who claimed back/knee problems (widely known in the military world as virtually impossible to prove) are the same guys who now run marathons, skydive, or have jobs that require them to be physically durable. I know there are several people who genuinely deserve disability pay for physical ailments, but when you turn around and engage in activities that you clearly should not be physically capable of doing, you deserve to go to jail. Same as someone who commits worker's comp fraud.

Echo,

That is the sad truth, the people who are not able (or willing) to scam the government are the ones who are at a disadvantage now. Look at all the people who got themselves into trouble by buying a house that cost sixty percent of their net monthly income and walked away from "bad loans" and looked to the government for a bailout.

One way or another the moochers are going to get at your tax money, that is the bizarro world we live in.