VA Benefits Fraud

echo88

Quite possibly the most monumental impact on taxpayer money in the history of the U.S. military. I initially drafted a 20 paragraph post that documents the statistics behind former military members de-frauding taxpayers of billions of dollars annually, but I eventually gave up and just opted to offer the topic itself for discussion.

As a former service member who has experienced years of traumatic direct action combat, I welcome the opportunity to expose PTSD, sleep apnea, and any other number of claimed mechanisms for receiving free benefits for life.

This topic infuriates me beyond words, so if anyone cares to chime in.....please do so.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting...so you believe PTSD is a false illness being used by vets to gain benefits? Not that I can say either way, but it's amazing how many service men and women served in conflicts pre-Desert Storm and were never diagnosed yet it seems the percentage of those claiming or being diagnosed with PTSD now is extremely high. Living near Fort Benning, I see/hear of a large number of soldiers that suffer from PTSD. It's amazing how many heroes returned from WWII and returned to the workforce. Sure, some had issues and may have suffered from PTSD or similar illness, but seems that the percentages of soldiers that come back with PTSD increases after every conflict. I've always thought it was simply the pussification of our country. What are your thoughts, echo?

I'm assuming there is distinction between those who truly have PTSD from live action and those who claim it from a bomb explosion 10 miles from their base.

Absolutely there is a difference. There are service members who receive disability for PTSD who have never even the left the confines of bases....but there are plenty of guys who encountered direct fire every day and watched several friends die. That's what PTSD is and that's who deserves the assistance.

Similarly, I know several from the Army who receive 100% disability for knee and back problems. These same guys run marathons, participate in tough mudder, etc...

In 2013, 1.2 Billion with a B was doled out for sleep apnea disability claims. Sleep apnea.

From a couple of Special Forces ( Green Beret) guys who have fought in several countries, they do not have PTSD. And not many do.

In the evaluations after returning to the US, the medical people tell the soldiers that they qualify for compensation of some type because of the effects of battle or being away from the family for such a long period.

Even though there was nothing wrong with the two SF guys, they had to insist that they did not deserve or want any type of disability payments.

Any Soldier, in the last three years that wants a disability, all he has to do is mention PTSD.

I hear it every day. Close combat and loud explosions do screw with hearing and some people do go nuts from tinnitus. I think the guys who got their backs jacked up riding on those hummers and jumping from planes and choppers are qualified for a type of "work comp" disability but it think it should be an insurance premium that pays for that type of benefit. Not the US Gov bc it is just like the big cities providing pensions. Eventually they're going to run out of money. Sleep apnea is typically either a genetic issue or a overweight issue. I've had it my whole life. Just started a cpap 10 years ago and I would be dead without it. However, I don't think I should receive disability bc of it. I know a guy getting disability rating bc he has arthritis of his toe. The last time I checked, gout was an inflammatory arthritis due to your diet and lifestyle. The majority of PTSD that I've seen is usually guys who were a little bit crazy before they went in the service. At least my friends who now claim it were! I think the flashbacks and paranoia do come from all the ambush attempts on them. I would understand it would be hard to adapt coming home. There is real disability and then there are the guys playing the system. I think it's going to be hard to get an average American behind prosecuting a soldier for VA fraud. The way it should be cleaned up is just say from now on no more disability without going in front of an independent review panel. The same needs to go for SS disability too.

I hear it every day. Close combat and loud explosions do screw with hearing and some people do go nuts from tinnitus. I think the guys who got their backs jacked up riding on those hummers and jumping from planes and choppers are qualified for a type of "work comp" disability but it think it should be an insurance premium that pays for that type of benefit. Not the US Gov bc it is just like the big cities providing pensions. Eventually they're going to run out of money. Sleep apnea is typically either a genetic issue or a overweight issue. I've had it my whole life. Just started a cpap 10 years ago and I would be dead without it. However, I don't think I should receive disability bc of it. I know a guy getting disability rating bc he has arthritis of his toe. The last time I checked, gout was an inflammatory arthritis due to your diet and lifestyle. The majority of PTSD that I've seen is usually guys who were a little bit crazy before they went in the service. At least my friends who now claim it were! I think the flashbacks and paranoia do come from all the ambush attempts on them. I would understand it would be hard to adapt coming home. There is real disability and then there are the guys playing the system. I think it's going to be hard to get an average American behind prosecuting a soldier for VA fraud. The way it should be cleaned up is just say from now on no more disability without going in front of an independent review panel. The same needs to go for SS disability too.

My point was that the soldiers are not asking for the benefits, they are talked into taking them by these new evaluation people.

I am not sure if this is an administration policy but it has really in creased in the last 3-4 years.

My point was that the soldiers are not asking for the benefits, they are talked into taking them by these new evaluation people.

I am not sure if this is an administration policy but it has really in creased in the last 3-4 years.

That's actually not the case at all. Word spreads among service members how to maximize their claim percentage prior to separation. Granted the approving bodies will offer little resistance but it's the service members who are abusing the system....

That's actually not the case at all. Word spreads among service members how to maximize their claim percentage prior to separation. Granted the approving bodies will offer little resistance but it's the service members who are abusing the system....

How do you know that? Were you recently in the Military?

I know active members that have 3 and 4 tours to the Mid East that have refused the offer of some type of disability even though they were told several times that it was there if they wanted it.

I am sure that some take advantage of the system but this is the first time that PTSD is pushed on the service men and women. It is like welfare or food stamps. No one is turned down.

How many working age people in this country, illegal or legal, is getting government support. It is nearing 50% I believe.

Edited by AlabamaDuck
sp.

How do you know that? Were you recently in the Military?

I know active members that have 3 and 4 tours to the Mid East that have refused the offer of some type of disability even though they were told several times that it was there if they wanted it.

I am sure that some take advantage of the system but this is the first time that PTSD is pushed on the service men and women. It is like welfare or food stamps. No one is turned down.

How many working age people in this country, illegal or legal, is getting government support. It is nearing 50% I believe.

Yes. Yes, I was. And I've done 6 tours. There's a difference between making it known that the benefits are there and "pushing" them on departing soldiers. It's the VA's job to make sure each separating veteran is aware of what is available if they believe they need/warrant it. PTSD isn't pushed on anyone. It's just that because it's used to explain away just about every symptom known to mankind, it's easy for veterans to claim it and make free money for the rest of their lives. I agree that it is entirely too easy to receive a diagnosis, but right now it's like diagnosing someone with jealousy. It's the veterans who are taking advantage of it, especially when they use it as an excuse for a DUI conviction or for domestic violence.

I had another officer show me a youtube video from a Congressional hearing this past summer. I really wish I could dig it up because it was appalling. The man testifying was some big wig so-and-so, and was apparently receiving disability payments and treatment for what amounted to tennis elbow or some such thing, which I believe may have occurred when he was in the Guard but didn't happen as a result of combat or anything pertaining to his duties.

Anyhow a female congressperson ripped his arse for 10-15 minutes getting down to every last detail of his "war wound" and why he needed continual treatment and disability payments, especially in light of the nature of the wound, he was well off, and soldiers who actually suffered traumatic injuries were having problems getting treated, etc.

I agree Echo, it is a damn shame that crap like this goes on in our military. Lord knows I've seen officers medical out for "bad backs" and other BS, while the rest of us sit there and have to take it. I hate schemers. What makes them so entitled to think that they are somehow owed more than the rest of us who trudge the same ground day after day!

I had another officer show me a youtube video from a Congressional hearing this past summer. I really wish I could dig it up because it was appalling. The man testifying was some big wig so-and-so, and was apparently receiving disability payments and treatment for what amounted to tennis elbow or some such thing, which I believe may have occurred when he was in the Guard but didn't happen as a result of combat or anything pertaining to his duties.

Anyhow a female congressperson ripped his arse for 10-15 minutes getting down to every last detail of his "war wound" and why he needed continual treatment and disability payments, especially in light of the nature of the wound, he was well off, and soldiers who actually suffered traumatic injuries were having problems getting treated, etc.

I agree Echo, it is a damn shame that crap like this goes on in our military. Lord knows I've seen officers medical out for "bad backs" and other BS, while the rest of us sit there and have to take it. I hate schemers. What makes them so entitled to think that they are somehow owed more than the rest of us who trudge the same ground day after day!

She was pissed because she herself was actually disabled. I think I'd have more sympathy if we didn't have a volunteer only militia, but we do. This is like working on a construction site for 4 years and getting paid the same salary for the rest of your life because your arms were sore from swinging a hammer.

Edited by echo88

Did you know that separated veterans also have like 10 years after they leave the service to file a disability claim? So let's say a veteran has a good job for a couple years then gets laid off. He can go back to the VA and be like "yeah, I was ok when I left but actually my knees are bad". 20-50% disability just like that. It's free money and I know very few guys who didn't claim anything when leaving....

Army.........and I receive 0% disability because I don't deserve it.

Again thanks. The fact that this is happening doesn't surprise me in today's USA. It seems that everyone is on the dole. I think we should take care of people that truly need help, but it's getting out of control and it's almost as if there is no shame in people.

She was pissed because she herself was actually disabled. I think I'd have more sympathy if we didn't have a volunteer only militia, but we do. This is like working on a construction site for 4 years and getting paid the same salary for the rest of your life because your arms were sore from swinging a hammer.

Yep, that's the one thanks for finding that! I wasn't even sure what to look under to find it.

Well if you think about it, we are such a litigation happy society and everyone wants to get paid deserving or not. No body has deeper pockets than Uncle Sam.

Again thanks. The fact that this is happening doesn't surprise me in today's USA. It seems that everyone is on the dole. I think we should take care of people that truly need help, but it's getting out of control and it's almost as if there is no shame in people.

Welcome to entitlement USA. People don't have pride anymore for themselves. Its always someone else's fault and therefore someone else needs to pay for me and take care of me. I agree I truly want to help those who actually need the help. Unfortunately the scammers have given all the programs such a bad name, and the abuses that I see every time I go on patrol just make me so damn cynical to any type of social/welfare programs.

There is sooooooo much bureaucracy but very little oversight to these programs. More and more a figuring out how to abuse the system.

You just inadvertently reminded me of my next major pet peeve in all of this. Why do non-military folks feel obligated to thank servicemembers for their service?

Nickman, do you know what I got out of joining the Army? Let's see....

1) Free college tuition while enlisted and about $250,000 in education money after I left. That 250K doesn't even count the $2,000 a month I currently receive in housing allowance simply for being enrolled in school. I can also transfer unused education benefits to anyone in my immediate family. You know, for whenever I'm tired of piling up graduate degrees.

2) A VA home loan with 0% down payment at an interest rate of about 2.5%.

3) The highest level of security clearance which afforded me the opportunity to hunt down bad guys while I was in and continue to do so now that I've left. The clearance itself is worth a six figure salary for the rest of my life and I get to do meaningful and satisfying work.

4) Access to a vast network of other prior servicemembers that can plug you in to just about whatever job you're interested in. I haven't legitimately interviewed for a job in years.

5) VA Disability Benefits. If I filed for this when I left and received 100%, I'd be getting about 60k a year for the rest of my life for doing absolutely nothing. Nothing.

And while I was in, sure the pay wasn't great but we are talking about kids right out of high school for the most part. It blows my mind when airlines solicit passengers to give a round of applause for a service member on board like they did it for free or something. Of course there is some risk involved but everyone knows that when they join.

You just inadvertently reminded me of my next major pet peeve in all of this. Why do non-military folks feel obligated to thank servicemembers for their service?

Nickman, do you know what I got out of joining the Army? Let's see....

1) Free college tuition while enlisted and about $250,000 in education money after I left. That 250K doesn't even count the $2,000 a month I currently receive in housing allowance simply for being enrolled in school. I can also transfer unused education benefits to anyone in my immediate family. You know, for whenever I'm tired of piling up graduate degrees.

2) A VA home loan with 0% down payment at an interest rate of about 2.5%.

3) The highest level of security clearance which afforded me the opportunity to hunt down bad guys while I was in and continue to do so now that I've left. The clearance itself is worth a six figure salary for the rest of my life and I get to do meaningful and satisfying work.

4) Access to a vast network of other prior servicemembers that can plug you in to just about whatever job you're interested in. I haven't legitimately interviewed for a job in years.

5) VA Disability Benefits. If I filed for this when I left and received 100%, I'd be getting about 60k a year for the rest of my life for doing absolutely nothing. Nothing.

And while I was in, sure the pay wasn't great but we are talking about kids right out of high school for the most part. It blows my mind when airlines solicit passengers to give a round of applause for a service member on board like they did it for free or something. Of course there is some risk involved but everyone knows that when they join.

Wow, I didn't realize you could get all that. Good on you for taking advantage of those benefits. I have always been taught to thank service men and women as my grandfather was a Korea vet. After hearing of all of those benefits I'm kind of wondering why I didn't join after high school..