Benn Visits Maryland

Guest gizmokt24

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thinking of Maryland, they just released their top recruit of 2005. Melvin Alaeze. Here's the ESPN article.

Updated: June 21, 2006, 3:58 PM ET

Maryland releases Alaeze from letter of intentBy Bruce Feldman

ESPN The Magazine

Melvin Alaeze, the highest-profile recruit Maryland has signed in the Ralph Friedgen era, won't play for the Terps, ESPN Magazine has learned.

The all-everything 6-foot-3, 280-pound defensive end has been released from his letter of intent because he violated the terms of his financial aid agreement, sources said. Drug charges also played a role.

He was charged in March with marijuana possession and intent to distribute marijuana, as well as possession of drug paraphenalia, according to court documents cited by The Baltimore Sun. None of the charges are active, the paper reported.

Alaeze committed to the Terps in 2005 but failed to qualify. He played last fall at Hargrave Military Academy but left that school after the season.

The Terps are coming off a 5-6 season and have a big need on the defensive line. They ranked ninth in the ACC in sacks with just 21 for the season.

Other schools, including Virginia Tech and Penn State, that Alaeze had considered before could get back in the picture for his services.

Guest DCIrish

I was just reading about a new ploy by which teams promise a prospect they will create a position just for them. Not really anything new as Holtz used to tell kids he would use them in short-yardage if they were a DB, etc.

The article is about Little and how UNC might create a totally new position for him. I.E. they would design most or a part of their offensive scheme around a single talent.

I would say Illinois is advertising something akin to this. I.E. Benn, if you come here we will get you 20-25 touches per game and design our offense around you. Conversely, at ND you will just be part of the rotation....

It does not take much to know that once they arrive on campus this promise is somewhat shelved in the name of a team offensive scheme.

All in all, you would have to believe Illinois is making a ton of promises to him about being the "man," not much competition, "we are on the way up," "you'll get greater exposure because you are the sole go-to-guy," etc. I'm sure Friedgen at Maryland and others are saying the same BS.

I agree. Why else would someone entertain going to play at Illinios?

Easy on the Illinois comments! That is my basketball school! They are not that bad and they never will be a treat to ND in football.

As fas as Louks go he will be a Purdue all day tomorrow for a Camp that he was invited to. I think an offer will most likely be following as soon as it done. I also know that some elite PAC 10 schools are talking with him (coaches are text messeging him) then he calls the coach back.

So things are looking pretty solid for him.

Guest chrislw35
Yeah... According to Scout he has a top four of ND, SC, FSU and Illinois. One of those schools does not belong... Care to guess which one?

My guess is ND doesn't belong. Way to CLASSY of a school to be mentioned with those losers. Go Irish

Guest VagasFerguson44

Hey el senor, they may list him as a 4.5 guy but I think the kid is running a 5.5 in the sunshine prep video montage that everyone has seen by now. No way he is a 4.5 guy. He's got some quickness but is devoid of true speed.

Guest VagasFerguson44

True, senor. I think Little is a much better athlete than Benn. I hope he stays at WR (and gets some coaching) and Benn moves to LB. And I know everyone is going o jump on me and say Benn will never move from WR. It may look that way now. But, if and when that boy steps on to the gameday field for ND, he will not be a starting WR. Two years from now (if we get his commitment) he will be playing somewhere other than WR.