Per ESPN, WRs will define ND's 2023 season

From an article about which non-quarterback group that will define each top 25 teams' seasons, ESPN highlights WRs as that position for the Irish

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35473193/non-quarterback-group-define-top-25-teams-seasons

Safe to say, WRs need to step up with Mayer heading to the NFL.

(On defense, I am torn between LBs or DL being the group which will 'define' 2023 for ND)

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

From an article about which non-quarterback group that will define each top 25 teams' seasons, ESPN highlights WRs as that position for the Irish

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35473193/non-quarterback-group-define-top-25-teams-seasons

Safe to say, WRs need to step up with Mayer heading to the NFL.

(On defense, I am torn between LBs or DL being the group which will 'define' 2023 for ND)

The WRs really do need to step up, but I feel ND has some great ones to do just that.  I was pleasantly surprised by the end of the season play from Colzie and Thomas.  Hopefully Merriweather will get it going now that he has a bit more experience.  I’m also hoping Styles just had a Sophomore slump last season, and will be a factor this year too.

For defense, hopefully it will be the Linebackers, because besides Bertrand, they did not play well last season…specifically Liufau.  Let’s hope Kollie and Sneed get an opportunity, because I feel they are the two best LBs in terms of natural talent on the team!  Maybe even Bowen too?

Edited by Baldy
  • Heart 2

Early enrollees are going to push this group, too, I think, for sure on the depth strength.  They all had their official media interviews (on youtube now).  Just watched a bunch of them.  First I heard Kaleb Smith (senior) talk about the freshman group in that they are "different' than typical freshmen.  Said they were more prepared, bigger, and better than any he'd been around.

I've heard some chatter that all 3 EE WR's are big, look physical and ready.

All 3 - Flores, Greathouse, & James - are all real personable in their interviews.  They've been hanging out, working out, pushing each other, learning the playbook and QBs.  Everyone real positive on Coach Stuckey, the team, and WR room.

Greathouse, a little more on the serious side overall in his interview,  got the question, 'What's your goal for the spring?"  Straight faced: "I want a starting spot."  At the least, I love the early reviews and the confidence.  The WR room is much improved!  Colzie, Thomas and Merriweather have not been sleeping.  And don't forget we got Matt Salerno back, too!

Stuckey is one of those guys we don't want to lose, but I think will be hard to keep.

• Heart 3

For the first time in at least 2 maybe 3 years ND can pick and choose places to put 4 wide outs on the field

I know our base will 11(3 WR 1 TE 1 RB) and ND likes 12 (2 WR 2 TE 1 RB), but ND with Kaleb Smith(Slot body type, outside contested catch ability) and Jayden Thomas (defines a slot receiver) ND can play some 10 if it wants.) 10 is 4 WR, 0 TE 1 RB

Why? Because you still have Zo,(outside) Merriweather(outside) and Colzie(outside), Salerno and the 3 Freshman EE's + 1 in the fall.

It will depend if the Wideouts are better or worse than the tight ends. I have a feeling the wide receivers might be better than the tight ends this year.

W

• Heart 3