New OL Coach?

I just hope like hell that Hiestand’s retirement wasn’t based on the false believe that they had Ludwig wrapped up and he was going to bring his line coach. 

We need a guy like Hiestand, but if they hire a guy like Watt that will be another nail in the coffin. 

This is taking a long time and it comes on the heels of the Ludwig disaster. So, I assume there’s some real strong conversations going on between Freeman and Swarbrick. 

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/LongFormArticle/Names-to-Know-Next-Offensive-Line-Coach-at-Notre-Dame-204916151/

List of possible OL coaches:

BYU offensive line coach Darrell Funk

South Dakota special teams coordinator and tight ends coach Ron Crook 

Virginia Tech offensive line coach and run game coordinator Joe Rudolph 

Washington offensive line coach Scott Huff 

Minnesota offensive line coach and run game coordinator Brian Callahan 

Arkansas offensive line coach Cody Kennedy 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive line coach Joe Gilbert

Baltimore Ravens assistant offensive line coach Mike Devlin is a 20-year NFL coaching veteran.

Georgia Tech offensive line coach Geep Wade is in his first season with the Yellow Jackets.

Before stepping away, former Georgia assistant head coach and offensive line coach Matt Luke arrived in Athens in 2020

Vanderbilt offensive line coach AJ Blazek has been in that role for the past two years.

Texas A&M offensive line coach Steve Addazio has been in his current role since 2022.

Oklahoma offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh has been with the Sooners since 2013. 

Florida Atlantic associate head coach, run game coordinator and offensive line coach Ed Warinner

Greg Studrawa was recently the offensive line coach at Ohio State from 2016-21.

John Hevesy was recently the run game coordinator and offensive line coach at Florida from 2018-21.

Notre Dame assistant offensive line coach Chris Watt 

• Heart 1

I'm  a new poster.  Just an old-timer (Isaw my first ND game in 1949) who has lurked a lot on this and other boards.   I've noticed a change in content over the past few years.  There seems to be a lot less research (except for maybe 5 or 6 members) and a lot more insults and name- calling.  It would be nice if everyone would maybe take a deep breath and then take a step back and see we could return to a nice, informative board with intelligent discussions.  Sorry, that will be my one and only rant.

Now a discussion of the topic of the day.  Some posters have wondered if Harry Hiestand left because Rees left, others speculated that he left, either voluntarily or was pushed out because the ND powers that be thought they had Ludwig and his O-Line coach all locked up.  Still others thought that Harry had had enough of the administration, did not like recruiting or might have been just plain tired.  None of us know what actually happened and a lack of information invariably leads to speculation.  So, I will now throw a wild idea out there for discussion.  What if Swarbrick went to Hiestand and asked him to come back as a co-offensive line coach with Watt for one year.  (I would try to negotiate for 2 years but probably even less likely than 1 year).  The financial package could be $1 million more than he was paid this year' along with Watt doing the road portion of the recruitment process with Harry having the final say before an offer is made.  On the coaching side. Watt would participate in game planning and in-game discussions of on-field adjustments as appropriate.  In other words, Watt would have some actual input while learning at the master's knee.  I realize the likelihood of this coming to pass is negligible, it does give us something to chew on.

• Heart 2
  • Trophy 1

5 hours ago, Dragon57 said:

I'm  a new poster.  Just an old-timer (Isaw my first ND game in 1949) who has lurked a lot on this and other boards.   I've noticed a change in content over the past few years.  There seems to be a lot less research (except for maybe 5 or 6 members) and a lot more insults and name- calling.  It would be nice if everyone would maybe take a deep breath and then take a step back and see we could return to a nice, informative board with intelligent discussions.  Sorry, that will be my one and only rant.

Now a discussion of the topic of the day.  Some posters have wondered if Harry Hiestand left because Rees left, others speculated that he left, either voluntarily or was pushed out because the ND powers that be thought they had Ludwig and his O-Line coach all locked up.  Still others thought that Harry had had enough of the administration, did not like recruiting or might have been just plain tired.  None of us know what actually happened and a lack of information invariably leads to speculation.  So, I will now throw a wild idea out there for discussion.  What if Swarbrick went to Hiestand and asked him to come back as a co-offensive line coach with Watt for one year.  (I would try to negotiate for 2 years but probably even less likely than 1 year).  The financial package could be $1 million more than he was paid this year' along with Watt doing the road portion of the recruitment process with Harry having the final say before an offer is made.  On the coaching side. Watt would participate in game planning and in-game discussions of on-field adjustments as appropriate.  In other words, Watt would have some actual input while learning at the master's knee.  I realize the likelihood of this coming to pass is negligible, it does give us something to chew on.

Welcome to DomerDomain, very nice post!

18 hours ago, Dragon57 said:

Welcome Dragon57…. I said the same thing earlier about bringing Harry back although it was more tongue in cheek. Now seriously I think that would be a good idea. Seems to me it would be a win win for everybody involved.

19 hours ago, Dragon57 said:

Welcome aboard!  DD is the best board in my opinion and nowhere near as drama filled as many other boards I visit but don't post on.  For the most part everyone gets along pretty good around here.  If not then Faith has to step in and rough someone up every once in awhile. 😋

Edited by jessemoore97
  • Heart 1

9 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

Welcome aboard!  DD is the best board in my opinion and nowhere near as drama filled as many other boards I visit but don't post on.  For the most part everyone gets along pretty good around here.  If not then Faith has to step in and rough someone up every once in awhile. 😋

I thought @FaithInIrish Forever was the primary troublemaker in these parts 

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

15 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

If any coach could convince Matt Luke that you can mix family and football, it would be Freeman.  He seems to have built a good culture that welcomes coaches' family involvement.

For sure! If that is what Luke is looking for, ND is the place to be! Kudos to Freeman for shooting for the stars in this hire.